Pokemon Scarlet/Violet Video Game Discussion

Who said i didn’t play the game?

You assumed that lol. I just said one does not need to play something to have a point an opinion about it.

I havent bought a single pokemon game since X&Y because i know i dont like the games anymore. I borrowed a copy from a friend to see if something changed and well it didnt (except the fact they seem to be using this game as a beta for whats coming next).

And no, you dont need to experience something to know if its good or bad, if you like it or not.

1 Like

Yes, you do, otherwise you are engaging in groupthink. This is like saying “I hate pasta” without ever actually trying pasta.

You literally called my points “subjective” while presenting your own points as facts:

So you “know” the game is awful and said “they failed in the execution of almost every aspect of the game.” In other words, your points are facts, but my points are “subjective” even though I played through the game? You don’t see the twisted logic in that?

And I know you didn’t play the game because you literally said in another thread that you “borrowed the game from a friend to check performance,” meaning you briefly played the game, saw the optimization issues (which I clearly pointed out in my criticisms of the game) and then jumped to a conclusion based on a very limited experience.

So you haven’t played through a single Pokemon game since X&Y, and yet, somehow, you “know” you don’t like the games anymore?

Look: you are entirely free to have your own opinion, but it seems to me that your opinion was made up before the game was even released because you said yourself that you “know” you don’t like Pokemon games anymore.

It’s also pretty clear that someone who played the game all the way through is going to be able to come up with a more informed opinion than someone who didn’t play the game. The fact that you continue to debate this point is mind boggling.

I see no reason to continue to belabor this point with you. Seems like a rather mindless exercise. Let’s just agree to disagree, shall we?

1 Like

I said i havent bought a single game since, not that i havent played them. Another assumption from you lol.

So if i havent experience bullying, discrimination or any sort of abuse i can’t know that it is bad, according to your logic?

I borrowed the game from a friend to check performance and i played for some hours. Another assumption

I’ll leave it here since obviously you are assuming things and have no desire to disagree.

Game was great. Most fun I’ve had. Best Pokemon game yet.

Not sure why some people who have outgrown the games need to harp on it. It’s no longer for you - that’s OK. Move on.

4 Likes

The bar is so low. If this was an entirely new ip, it would have gotten shit on so hard. There may be fun elements and improved on more recent pokemon titles, but overall its clearly a rushed product. Good pokemon game? Maybe. Good video game? Not in it’s current state.

And good for people that enjoy it, and I’m simply not going to play it. It’s just disappointing that so many people aren’t dissuaded by the lack of proper polish and development which continues to prevent us from getting a good pokemon game, the type of pokemon game I’ve pined for for so long. Pokemon games could be amazing. Look at how far zelda or mario games have come. They aren’t relying on being a big IP to sell. The same cannot be said for pokemon. And they continue to sell so they continue to stagnant.

I see aspects of gamefreak attempting to innovate the series, primarily in gameplay aspects but I suspect they’re in a stranglehold from the mandatory 2 year development time.

3 Likes

Story wise, spirit, and fun… it’s all there.

…but lord, what a crappy engine they used, remind of the beginning of the 3D video industry where new players on the block were struggling to put in place a performant engine and platform. ->It’s slow, inaccurate, and borderline interfere with user experience.

Not sure the reason for that. Zelda breath of the wild was a gem in term of playability and execution, so it cannot be put on the hardware (switch). Could it be because of the open world and volume of objects to manage, so they had to sacrifice look and feel and rendering to the actual gameplay and story? not sure.

But I trust Nintendo/gamefreak will learn some lesson from it and develop a better platform going forward. They better do :slight_smile:

Just finished Violet and this is the worst Pokémon game of all the switch titles (perhaps the game I’ve enjoyed the least of every game). I’m actually so disappointed.

I loved arceus a lot and had high hopes for this, but it’s so bad. It’s like they ignored all the good elements from all games. I like how the story is open and the world is open, I like the three different types of missions idea, but just feels so hollow.

The game completely crashed twice on me throughout the play through (both times when going through doors). Haven’t had any game crash on me since PS2 days. There is no battle tower which seems mad to me and the post game is just as hollow.

This game just wasn’t complete.

1 Like

Figured I’d post this here. Looks like between release and March 31st, SV sold 22.1 million copies, beating out SWSH’s launch of ~19 million units (at 1 year of release). Pretty cool!

https://twitter.com/joemerrick/status/1655823845213732864?s=46&t=9VX_tVZWyqVqZkUcW1cjAQ

The chart below was from last year. Interesting to see that SWSH sold over 1 million copies in that time. I predict that SV will surpass SWSH in the next 2.5 years.

3 Likes

Those Gen 1 numbers are still so insane to me. If anyone ever wonders why Pokémon leans on Kanto often, that’s why!

6 Likes

Yea its pretty crazy that RBG are still ~6 million units more than 2nd place. Its also pretty cool that SV has 20 million sales at or before 1 year of release. I assume GS and RB did as well, but im not 100%.

1 Like

I thinks it’s one of the highest selling video games of all time but don’t quote me on that

Pokémon games might not be able to compete with the sales numbers of multi-platform games like Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto V or Tetris, but they are the kings of platform-specific lists for sure.

Game Boy & Game Boy Color (9 games across 4 entries in Top 20)

1st Place - Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow (46.02m)
3rd Place - Pokémon Gold / Silver / Crystal (29.49m)
7th Place - Pokémon Pinball (5.31m)
14th Place - Pokémon Trading Card Game (3.72m)

The most popular franchises on Game Boy and Game Boy Color include Pokémon (84.54 million combined units), Tetris (38.12 million combined units), Super Mario (34.39 million combined units), Donkey Kong (12.55 million combined units), and Kirby (10.91 million combined units).

Game Boy Advance (7 games across 5 entries in Top 30)

1st Place - Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (12.66m)
2nd Place - Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (12m)
3rd Place - Pokémon Emerald (7.06m)
12th Place - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (2.36m)
30th Place - Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (1.37m)

The most popular franchises on Game Boy Advance include Pokémon (over 39 million combined units) and Super Mario (16.69 million combined units).

Nintendo DS (15 games across 10 entries in Top 60)

5th Place - Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.67m)
6th Place - Pokémon Black and White (15.64m)
8th Place - Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (12.72m)
12th Place - Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 (8.52m)
13th Place - Pokémon Platinum (7.6m)
16th Place - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness (4.88m)
24th Place - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (3.49m)
34th Place - Pokémon Ranger (2.93m)
40th Place - Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (2.35m)
52nd Place - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (1.49m)

Nintendo 3DS (15 games across 8 entries in Top 50)

2nd Place - Pokémon X and Y (16.68m)
3rd Place - Pokémon Sun and Moon (16.3m)
4th Place - Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (14.57m)
9th Place - Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (9.15m)
36th Place - Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (1.66m)
39th Place - Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow (Virtual Console - 1.5m)
42nd Place - Pokémon Rumble Blast (1.4m)
43rd Place - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (1.38m)

Nintendo Switch (12 games across 8 entries in top 60)

5th Place - Pokémon Sword and Shield (25.82m)
7th Place - Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (22.1m)
11th Place - Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Let’s Go, Eevee! (15.07m)
12th Place - Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl (14.92m)
13th Place - Pokémon Legends: Arceus (14.83m)
39th Place - New Pokémon Snap (2.74m)
49th Place - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (1.89m)
58th Place - Pokkén Tournament DX (1.54m)

These truly are insane numbers, but then again Pokémon IS the highest-grossing entertainment media franchise of all time by a mile.

4 Likes

Biggest media franchise ever? Bigger than star wars? That’s wild

2 Likes

On the flip side, the worst selling main games being still more than 50% of Kanto, means it feels like Pokemon still haven’t optimised other regions/characters.

Of course, just checking graded populations and market prices doesn’t tell you the whole story, but surely people don’t all have the same tastes or favourite Pokemon.

It is often said that the franchise is multi-generational and that different people joined in different eras or played their first games in successive generations, yet the TCG ignores most of the starters and relies on very few Pokemon to be headliners.

Not even close, Pokemon reigns supreme.

1 Like

I love that

GOAT

You gotta ignore the noise and focus on the art. Present day is significantly better than 3 years ago. The difference between SWSH base and SV base is staggering. To put it into context, nearly half of the new Pokémon from SV have a special art (ar/sar) at 5 months in. There are plenty of “unpopular” Pokémon that have had fantastic special arts since SV started that otherwise would have never seen anything beyond an occasional holo or regular V/ex/GX/etc.

Here are some prime examples. I surely did not have Sandile on my bingo card.

You aren’t wrong that TCG art tends to ignore certain Pokémon. I wish that starters had more love for instance. I wish that we saw more from certain legendaries/mythicals (gen 3 in particular). However, the larger picture is that more Pokémon than ever are getting new cards, many of them being special arts. Is what we have now perfect? I wouldn’t say so, but its certainly better now than its ever been.

Hype chase Pokemon are there to sell sets, simple as that. Sets headlined with Swampert, Haxorus, and Emboar won’t outsell ones headlined by Charizard, Mewtwo, and Rayquaza. The benefit of the tcg is that the “chase” can be anything for anyone. You can simply ignore the ones you dislike and buy the ones you do like.

I’d also argue that the sets that have big chase cards like Charizard, Giratina, Lugia, etc are actually better for those of us who don’t want to buy the big chase. The singles prices for less popular mon within the set dip since everyone’s focus is on the hype card. Pokemon tends to overprint sets that have a lot of hype cards included. You can buy Moonbreon for $700 or you can buy Noivern V (from the same set) for $30.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with you, but what I’m saying is that there is much more potential that’s been left on the table.

Perhaps they were struggling with Pokemon’s downturn in popularity and being hemmed in by their art budget etc. for previous generations, as you’re right, Gen 9 Pokemon will probably all get “alt arts” but I’m not sure that those who grew up with Gen 5, 6, 7 etc will have much to show for.

Gen 5 had pretty much no normal Pokemon getting an ultra rare or full art. Primarina has like 4 cards or something. I don’t even like Pokemon like Chesnaught but I’m sure those kids who chose it will.

I really don’t think that every successive generation only likes the same few popular Pokemon unless we’re in our own bubble where the TCG is actually significantly different from the video game or general fanbase.

There are definitely some areas of improvement. I assume we will have an abundance of gen 5 related special cards as that era is the next in line for remakes…in a few years :pensive: I do think its strange that starters are essentially forgotten once the generation ends. That has always puzzled me. I think the tcg just sort of naturally progresses into more interesting and cool cards. Those pre SM gens just happened to miss that trend.

I think that the core popular Pokémon (think the top 20) always stay popular, even with new gens coming out every few years. They are just more iconic. Greninja is one of the more recent Pokemon that have really shined through as popular, especially in Japan. I think some of the SV Pokémon have potential, like the cat starter, Lechonk, and Tinkaton.