Pokemon Liquidity During Pandemic

It’s bad practice to compare the 2 collector bases because the factors behind demand for cards is just too different.

3 Likes

I’ll never understand cashing out in down markets. The entirety of human history points towards growing past catastrophe. Dummies cash out and get burned. Gamblers eat the risk and short, then go long. They either hit it big or get burned. The investors? They buy when markets get bad and they buy more when they get worse. If you believe this will eventually get better, you stay the g d course! I can’t stress this enough, it’s the case in all effing markets periods! I’ll ride this ship down with Rudy to Valhalla.

1 Like

They’re not necessarily investors and they may have lost their jobs or have some other expenses. Maybe they’ve wanted to dump cards for a while.

The video isn’t about selling, it’s about some of the largest stores in the country with high capital to work with completely pulling their buylists for vintage mtg and what that means for that hobby.

From 2010-2018 MtG experienced insane growth in the price of older A/B/U/etc. and other reserved list cards. For the last 2 years the market has plateaued. Growth isn’t constant, paper MtG has had low consumer confidence and now we’re in a recession.

Rudy mentions this, but says that some stores are only pulling the buy lists of Alpha, Beta and some other expensive cards down, while still having buy lists for other sets.

Rudy has been killing it in the hashtag game lately. :grin:
#StayTheCourse #DontBeAHero #DontCatchAFallingKnife #ItIsWhatItIs
And something about a dead cat bouncing… Why do financial people always need to use such morbid comparisons. :grin:

This video was the biggest fear-mongering propaganda piece to get people to sell him their cards ever, even the lighting has been changed to give a doom/sombre, it was honestly hard to watch it was so cringe.

He’s not riding anything to the ground, he knows damn well that this is a big buying opportunity with the major stores taking SOME of this stuff off their buylist. Star city is still buying unlimited power, revised duals, bazaars etc. Card Kingdom is still buying alpha/beta/unlimited power ($44k for a NM alpha lotus). SOME things have been taken off buylists because it would be stupid as a business to buy cards that are traditionally slow movers or cards that people trade in standard/modern era stuff for credit to upgrade into when the entire paper magic tournament circuit is cancelled indefinitely.

Lastly he is talking about BUYLISTS, Rudy always fear-mongers based on buylists and that is a poor representation of the vintage mtg market. He says ‘people with BGS quad power’ etc ‘you’re on your own’ … LOL? Stores taking power off buylist literally does not affect the graded market at all, people with these cards don’t buylist them.

I won’t keep ranting but tl;dr: Propaganda fear-mongering to get people to sell to him at a huge discount while the ‘big boys’ are taking a time out since their businesses have ground to a halt. Think about how many times he told people to sell to him in that video, he was practically begging.

15 Likes

Bingo

6 Likes

An important point not to over look is the strength of the usd. The stronger the usd the less demand that’ll come from international markets as people aren’t willing to spend more due to conversion. For example the usd to aud went from 65c to 55c in a week, a price increase of 28%.

People will also sell into a stronger dollar (case and point: the australian market last weekend) as the values increase by 10%, 20% out of nowhere.

The prevelant point becomes: since items are pegged in usd, the american market doesn’t actually benefit from the fluctuating dollar but will become the main buying pool for these cards.

If the usd strengthens over a recession will the buyer pool be strong enough to absorb an increase from international sellers? Just some food for thought.

3 Likes

To echo what @pierce said, I have numerous saved searches for alpha cards, and nothing has changed. Cards are consistently the same price or difficult to find, especially power/duel lands.

Businesses can change their strategy whenever they desire. Rudy is smart to highlight those changes, but people get lost in the fog. Buylist ≠ market sales.

5 Likes

He also constantly mentions that “investors” will not see a return on vintage cards for 2-5 years which also sounds like he is trying to prevent anyone from touching vintage magic. Feels kinda shady what he’s pulling

1 Like

He’s convinced spreading fear will mentally force people to sell to him.

1 Like

I’ve been fighting in the ebay trenches all week, nothing has changed, yet.

2 Likes

After watching the video last night I decided to check on the prices and availability of some of my most recent purchases. And all the Neo Destiny 1st edition holo’s I bought last month have already doubled or tripled in price. Not all but some and this is just off a quick tcgplayer search. Also my 1st edition Shining cards and Crystal cards have already done amazing. I paid $225 for my reverse crystal zard but I’m not seeing any cheaper than $600 range with the exception of one seller has one for $400 from Peru. Now this just reassures me I bought in at the perfect time. If I decided today I want the same cards I’d have to pay much much more for what i bought last month. I’ve searched for deals recently but havnt seen much that stuck out to me as being cheaper but we will see I guess

1 Like

It’s crazy out there. I do price estimations for raw sets to see what my ROI is and to gauge the investment. By the time I get the cards back from grading, I have to redo the whole sheet because prices are increasing so fast.

1 Like

I know this sounds dumb but Detection Pikachu got me back into the hobby. Great movie and graphics. I love the Charizard on steroids haha. But every little thing Pokemon does brings more and more people into the hobby. Even the most printed sets will eventually run out or price will get somewhat out of reach for people. There is always something else that will bring people back into the hobby. This does really suck tho to those that do get stuck selling. Especially the people who weren’t going to sell than fell on hard times because jobs are closing. To people that fall into that category Keep Your Head Up :slight_smile:

1 Like

don’t worry, rudy’s video is meant for the timmies.
he’s just a business man trying to pave his way to retirement by 40. he’s only got a few years, so this whole coronavirus is the gold mine he’s been waiting for since 2008.

2 Likes

At the beginning of the outbreak I made a large purchase and paid 60% of the market value.

Considering recent sales, the paid amount is now 45%. Interesting.

TFW you get blasted by an idiot like Dang, you know your video is full of crap

1 Like

Thought provoking video. I especially like the part where he talks about how Rudy doesn’t sell high-end cards frequently; he’s primarily a collector of high-end cards. If only we applied that logic to our little corner of the internet.

Dang’s not “an idiot,” dawg

Sorry, scumbag is probably more apt