Anyone here feel bad for MTG vintage collectors?

Pokemon is seeing unprecedented levels of growth every week, meanwhile I feel like I’m seeing Rudy videos on the daily being recommended to me where he’s like “hey guys, Rudy just lost another million on the MTG stock market over here”

Really have to feel for our wotc brethren right now

2 Likes

Have any examples of vintage declines?

2 Likes

Honestly, his videos have been really bumming me lately. I mean, i miss the old peppy and Rudy from months ago, but lately Ive noticed the same with a lot of his talk with the Magic market and all that. I dont really look into those realms myself, nor do i really take what he states about it at face value instantly, but i just hope things work out to where his old spirits start to rise back up.

Hopefully his taco becomes floppy once more.

2 Likes

I’m not too familiar with mtg but I guess a lot of the cards on the ‘Reserve list’ have been falling in price

one of his patreon’s invested 15k into reserve list cards and soon the cards plummeted to 5k as he says in the video(timestamped)

I think it’s mostly affecting the playables as MTG is different from pokemon in the sense that their legacy format is actually played quite a bit which is why a lot of their vintage cards still have good value, opposed to pokemon where we don’t really have anyone playing a legacy type of format but we all buy vintage cards because of the artwork/nostalgia

Basically I think the black lotuses and such that are graded are probably fine but the playable vintage cards are not since people don’t want to spend that much money on legacy decks

I’m not heavily invested in magic but I do have a bunch of all mint sets and singles I’ve been lugging around for upwards of 25 years. Of course since I bought them all when they came out like Rudy said I won’t lose nothing except storage space and a sore back.
I’d still like the market to succeed so these don’t just end up on top of my Galactic Empires and Alf Card sets:(

9 Likes

@garyis2000, I hope for you also that the vintage market doesn’t collapse :slightly_frowning_face: If you have a black lotus though I’m sure you’re sittin pretty regardless of what happens to the playables though :wink:

There’s not enough new blood in mtg that care about reserved list cards, legacy, vintage, etc.

MtG is in a weird spot compared to Pokemon and Yugioh because there really just isn’t a collector base that enjoys the cards separately from the playable aspect of the game outside of A/B/U/R and 4 horseman. The aforementioned sets have their prices bolstered by rarity and scarcity more than anything else.

2 Likes

There’s a guy trying to sell shares in his Black Lotus that wouldn’t be happy right now.

Eventually this will happen in Pokemon. It might take 10 years, it might take 30.

Survival rate of all things is 0%. Everything ends.

5 Likes

I guess people didn’t fact check that prices haven’t actually dropped for much. Rudy is primarily highlighting buylist prices.

As someone currently putting together an alpha binder, please point me in the direction of the decline.

16 Likes

When you’ve been around as long as I have you realize that not everything ends.
A specific baseball card from the 1950s is now worth 20 times more than it was 20 years ago. A 100 year old sports card from a cigarette pack is still climbing in the millions. A Beatles record from the 60s has gone up in value EVERY decade since.
Now will Charizard’s and Lotus’s do the same? Well, they have up until now and by what I’ve seen in the past, they very likely could follow suit.

8 Likes

Lol…

2 Likes

Well damn mtgstocks shows that like all the top dog alpha cards have increased an insane amount in the past few years and are holding steady lol

I just figured that things must be getting bad since one of the most known personalities in that hobby has been seeming sad lately and acting like a ton of vintage is getting destroyed while talking about his vault dropping in millions :stuck_out_tongue:

Pokemon cards are like unique/iconic/amazing artwork depictions of our favorite virtual pets

I along with many others would be very content to continue collecting until the end. I really don’t foresee all of our collective love for this stuff just vanishing unless something catastrophic happens

How big is/was MTG in the US? I am surprised how often people are comparing Magic directly to Pokémon. In Holland, MTG is very, very niche. Every kid I knew had Pokémon cards, nobody knew/ cared about the MTG cards (maybe 1 in 200 had some magic cards). While the Pokémon market is really booming here, there is zero-interest in MTG cards in comparison.

6 Likes

It’s only really happened in the last 12 months and the cards which have dropped the most tend to be mid-range or niche cards without insane demand.

Tastes simply change, card prices stagnate. Growth just isn’t constant.

1 Like

There’s also plenty of cards which haven’t gone up or may have had some growth, plateaued and dropped.

In regards to this thread and mtg cards it tends to be the post 5th edition to mid 2000s stuff that’s tanking, not the high-end cards everyone is familiar with.

1 Like

I’m a 2nd year in Uni and when I was little no one knew about or talked about MTG, it was all pokemon

When I found out about MTG(2017), I was really surprised at how expensive it was. From that point on I pretty much viewed it as an adults tcg since it didn’t really seem all that accessible for kids. Some of my older buds who grew up in the late 80s/90s definitely view magic in a different way as that’s what they initially grew up with before pokemon released.

Basically, I feel like MTG in the US resonates more with 30 y/os than 20 y/os lol.

I don’t know much about MTG, but I have been watching Rudy’s content. Rudy has been saying that there’s too much negativity in the MTG community-he’s not feeling particularly negative. Unlike Pokemon, the MTG market is currently very bear-ish. His point is that MTG (modern) has entered a new era that is impacted by many new factors. Also, just because the reserve list collapsed doesn’t mean it won’t go back up again.

1 Like