Why I Sold My Valuable Magic Collection but Wouldn't Do the Same with Pokemon TCG

I have always been a player of Magic: The Gathering. I played my first games when I was around 6 years old, and I still play to this day at the age of 34.

Magic has brought me many joys and memorable moments. Some of my closest friendships come from this world, and I remain highly active in the community.

However, a few weeks ago, I made the decision to sell the majority of my collection (while keeping the two decks I play with).

It was a valuable collection, both in terms of its monetary worth and emotional attachment, and I debated internally for days before being able to make the decision to sell it.

Today, my intention is not only to show you what I sold but, above all, to share the thought process I went through to justify my decision.

Furthermore, as always, I will conclude by relating everything to Pokemon TCG and explaining why I wouldn’t have made the same decision if it were a collection of that particular card game.

Let me start by giving you a bit of context about the current state of Magic: The Gathering, so you can better understand the situation.

Magic Players and the Value of Modern Cards

Magic: The Gathering is a game played by millions of people worldwide, whether in official formats or those promoted by the community itself.

However, the vast majority of people do not collect Magic just for the sake of collecting. Most of the community PLAYS Magic, and if they accumulate cards, it’s usually because they use them in their decks or plan to do so at some point.

Modern cards gain value in the market because they are played in the current metagame. If a card becomes less useful (which happens frequently), its market value plummets. It gets sold (often at a loss) and is replaced by cards being played at that time.

Cards are constantly reprinted or suffer from power creep (better cards are introduced, rendering them unplayable). Price trends for modern cards always lean towards a decline in the long run.

Are there cards that do maintain their economic value or appreciate in value?

We can distinguish between two major periods in Magic: pre-2003 and post-2003.

Post-2003 cards would fall within the description I just provided.

On the other hand, pre-2003 sets are played in multiple unofficial formats created by the community. These formats are static, so the majority of the cards played in them do not fluctuate much in price.

Someone who has a pool of cards that allows them to play two or three decks in formats like Old School or Premodern could dispose of them for practically the same price they acquired them for, as long as the community continues to play those formats.

Now, within this era of Magic, there are cards with a distinctive feature…

The Reserved List

The Reserved List is a group of 572 cards that will never be reprinted.

Within this group, there are cards with prices on the secondary market ranging from negligible (cents) to astronomical (hundreds of thousands depending on condition).

Their value can be determined by their rarity, condition, playability, historical importance within the hobby, or a combination of these factors, which obviously determine their demand and therefore their price.

For those who collect Magic with the intention of preserving the economic value of their collection or gaining some profit over the years, it only makes sense to do so with cards from the Reserved List.

This list includes iconic cards such as the Power 9, with Black Lotus as its flagship, the dual lands, or legendary cards like Library of Alexandria and Juzam Djinn.

I still have old magazines where the prices of all the cards were marked… This photo is from the oldest one I have:

It says 72.000 Spanish pesetas, around 432€.
That same Black Lotus now hovers around 70.000€ in NM.

What did I have?

I will provide the photos at the end of the article, but now I will list them for you. It was a compact yet valuable collection. Out of a total of 59 cards:

• Power 9 (P9) from Unlimited (Black Lotus, Mox Jet, Mox Sapphire, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Emerald, Timetwister, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk).
  • The 40 FBB Dual Lands.
  • Library of Alexandria.
  • 4 City of Traitors.
  • 4 Juzam Djinn.
  • Unlimited Chaos Orb.

The valuation at the time of sale, based on condition, was around 65,000€.

Why did I sell it?

1. I stopped enjoying them.

To begin with, let me tell you what triggered even considering selling them.

As I mentioned before, in Magic, we usually “collect” or have a pool of cards that we intend to use while playing.

The fact that I hadn’t played the formats in which these cards were legal for 4 years and had no intention of doing so in the short or medium term (never say never…), put these cards in a position where I was keeping them solely for their potential future appreciation and a certain emotional attachment to them.

This led them to be stored in a safe deposit box, in a city several hours away from where I live…

So, from that moment on, I stopped enjoying them because I wasn’t playing with them… and I couldn’t even find the time to take them out and delight in them (an essential aspect of collecting, which I discuss in the Guide to Collecting Pokemon TCG).

Ceasing to enjoy them was the trigger for considering their sale. Now, I had to think about whether it was worth keeping them as an “investment.”

1. Was it an appropriate collection for long-term investment?

As I discussed in the article “Are collectibles, like Pokémon TCG, good investments?”, and categorizing Magic: The Gathering still in its speculative stage (with doubts about how it will transition to its established collectible stage), I would consider “good investment” cards in the long term (5+ years) to be those that fall within the top 1-3% of the hobby.

The criteria to qualify for that top tier revolve around rarity, condition, and demand/liquidity. It is necessary to excel in all three aspects simultaneously.

Although at first glance, many might say that my collection would qualify to be in that top tier, I do not believe it was within that 1-3%. Generally, it did not have a premium condition, which would already disqualify it.

Perhaps the Unlimited Black Lotus could fit in there, if it had been in near mint (NM) or PSA/BGS 8.5+ condition. Maybe the rest of the Power Nine (P9) as well…

But the majority of that top tier within the hobby would be occupied by cards like the Alpha and Beta Power Nine in good condition.

And that was one of my considerations… If I wanted to preserve a MTG collection as an investment, I would exchange my collection for 1-2 more exclusive pieces.

It would have allowed me to acquire a PSA 9 Unlimited Black Lotus, with some funds remaining. Alternatively, I could have chosen to keep this piece, which I had the pleasure of brokering, and which sold for €67,000 a few months ago.

1. Opportunity Cost

Having decided that those cards would not be the ones I wanted in my long-term investment portfolio, I had to determine whether to exchange them for something within that top 1-3% or allocate the money elsewhere.

Opportunity cost refers to what you forego by choosing one option over another. Where would my money perform better?

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, make sure that the return you will obtain is higher than what you would get from an indexed fund that weights the most powerful companies in the world (an average annual return close to 8% if you are investing for the long term).

I chose to exit Magic and allocate the capital elsewhere. Among other reasons, after dedicating time to think through this whole process, I realized what Magic The Gathering is currently lacking in order to ensure the game’s longevity over the years…

1. Generational Shift

The average age of people who play Magic has been steadily increasing for years.

Ensuring the existence of a hobby over the decades relies on generational shift.

Unfortunately, I don’t see this happening in Magic.

I no longer see kids playing Magic in schoolyards like I used to. And it’s very unlikely to happen again, considering the multitude of games and pastimes (especially digital ones) that today’s youth have at their disposal, posing stiff competition.

When many Millennials and Gen Zs stop playing, the game may ultimately come to an end.

Don’t get me wrong. For this to happen, it could easily take another 20 or 30 years. Many of us who play Magic, especially unofficial formats, envision ourselves playing even when we’re over 50. Additionally, the influx of new players will not suddenly come to a halt.

However, it’s a hobby that I don’t believe will be played when my grandchildren are old enough to do so.

1. The Offer and the Benefit

Lastly, the offer I received for the lot was the best I could have expected, as well as the payment conditions.

It came from a close friend of mine who, based on my market experience, nobody could have matched. Alongside the fact that the profit from the collection was substantial, after having it in my possession for about 5 years…

One must know when it’s a good time to sell. And I believe it was.

Conclusion

In summary, I decided to sell my valuable collection of Magic The Gathering for several reasons. I stopped playing and enjoying those cards, they didn’t meet my long-term investment criteria, and I see a more promising future in Pokémon TCG. Additionally, the offer I received for the lot was favorable, which led me to make the decision to sell.

Now I focus on building and enjoying my Pokémon TCG collection, while making new friendships in its incredible community.

Remember, each person should evaluate their own circumstances and make decisions based on their interests, objectives, and criteria. The most important thing is to find joy in every card we acquire and enjoy our passion.

Enjoy collecting!
Cross

P.S.: This are the collection pics (black dots in the Juzam’s page and some cards belong to the sleeves) :

54 Likes

Great article! Maybe i missed it, but you didn’t really give the reasoning for why you have more confidence in Pokemon. Is it specifically in the generational shift and young kids getting into it today?

16 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, Cross! Your thoughts are well-written.

I have been in MTG since 2001 around the time that 7th Edition came out. I played as a child, an adolescent, and as an adult. I sold off a fair number of my expensive foils and lands back in 2014 to better enjoy the blocks of that time, but I have regrets thinking back on that.

What has always drawn me back to MTG is the love for the game and the art. Deck-building is a creative process that I enjoy immensely. There is something special about incorporating new sets into old decks. Sure, these aren’t the most powerful in the meta, but they were created by me and with the same limitations that I had as a child: I restrict my decks by what I open from boxes/packs and from trading rather than buying playsets or chase cards online.

If I block out the “noise” online and in person about how awful Hasbro/WoTC are right now, I find that my enjoyment of MTG has not changed at all. The mechanics in the past few years have been some of the best released. Art is still incredible and second to no other era in MTG, albeit too many variants exist.

What primarily disturbs me about the direction that MTG is going post-COVID is the trend toward artificial scarcity (e.g., neon ink variants, Legends cards hidden in packs, special textured rarity in 2x2, serialized cards, etc.). While this may be necessary for their profits to increase, it cheapens the brand from one of community and play to one of moneymaking and gambling. Maybe this is what Hasbro and WoTC need to bring in other Millennials and Gen Z who are chronically looking to “make it rich quick.”

I am glad that you were able to buy these cards 5 years ago and sell them for a large profit. I think a lot of people hope for that same outcome. You are one of many people who have sold off their Reserved List cards post-Magic 30, and I don’t see that stopping in the near future.

There’s something to be said about the necessary process of consolidation in collecting. It is often wiser to diversify your collection so that you are not prone to sharp market movements in single areas of the hobby, but in this case, I can understand why you would prefer a high graded Beta Black Lotus than a full set of Unlimited Power, dual lands, etc. When Vintage MTG markets are affected, the last to drop will be the most coveted from the era, as you say the “1%-3%,” which certainly include Alpha and Beta Power.

TL;DR: I like MTG. I don’t like the direction of artificial scarcity. Consolidating your collection is a necessary step, but may leave you open to sharp market movements. If you consolidate toward higher end collectibles in the hobby (e.g., Unlimited → Beta → Alpha), you will be better off on average.

3 Likes

Man what a well written article with a huge cliffhanger haha where’s the “why you wouldn’t do this with pokemon.”? Waiting eagerly for that part… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry jajaja I wrongly thought that it could probably be understood intrinsically from the hole article, but I should probably have written a final section clarifying it.

I think that probably the next 20-25 years are the last ones for Magic The Gathering and that there will not be generational shift. On the other hand, I strongly believe that there will be at least another strong generation of kids growing as they love the franchise.

I’ve been today in the beach, and my three year old son didn’t stop shouting out “Blastoooisee” and throwing Hydro Pumps all day long… :grin: :rofl:

Pokémon is, by far, the strongest franchise in the world. But not one that is strong because it was in the past and now lives from pure nostalgia and memories… it’s an IP that’s still strong and alive, growing and impacting new generations.

That’s a strong foundation to be optimistic and confident in the future of Pokémon and Pokémon TCG.

Furthermore, I said that I wasn’t enjoying my MTG collection any more for various reasons described. In contrast, I’m enjoying collecting Pokémon as ever before. Its community is amazing and I’m loving every aspect of the hobby, even writing this kind of articles is something that I’m adoring.

I think that enjoying collecting is a fundamental part of it. I’m loving it.

15 Likes

Love seeing old magic cards

5 Likes

:100:

2 Likes

Blastoise GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

15 Likes

I can understand why you did this.

I’m also going to be unloading my Magic collection later this year. It’s nowhere near your value, but it’s a pretty big concentration of the best and highest valued cards used in Commander/EDH. I just don’t play those formats anymore and there’s been a steep decline in interest in Magic in my local area. We used to fire weekly draft, FNM, Modern, Commander/EDH, even Legacy events, but hardly anything gets off the ground anymore. Got rid of my Modern playsets a couple years ago.

Everything you’ve said about values being tied to playability and the reserved list is entirely true. I’ve NEVER met a pure Magic collector in all of my years of going to game shops, tournaments, or events. Maybe it’s a small sample size. Idk. But I’ve been involved in cards since 1999…

I’ll be moving all of the proceeds of my collection into Pokémon.

On another note, Yugioh is my favorite game and the one I have the most nostalgia for (even more so than Pokémon). My friends and I went on a very competitive tournament tear for many years before scaling back on that before we went off for college, so vintage Yugioh is and always will be my true TCG love. However it has a similar problem like Magic in that the newer generations aren’t talking about this game like they are Pokémon. My 6 year old daughter even has a Pokémon binder and likes to “battle” (aka compare HP and convenient rules pop into place that favor her for some reason… hmm…). She’s never heard of Yugioh or Magic. We went to a Pokémon themed birthday party earlier in the year for one of her friends and I’m 99% sure I was the most excited “kid” there. One day Yugioh may decline, but I’ve said that many times in the past and somehow tournament sizes just keep growing and growing. Even if that game went to zero, I don’t think I could part with my graded cards from the first era.

8 Likes

I’ve also wondered how many years MtG has left in it. I’m sad to see the state of the game after 30 years. Only time will tell, I s’pose. BUT I do think the game has more life in it beyond organized play. However, all the points you make are valid for a market around it.

Great article! Sad times.

1 Like

If there’s one thing that I know about MTG players, it’s that they will persist even if WoTC disappears. We have so many thousands of cards to play with at the present time. These sets and the sealed product still available around the world would sustain players for many lifetimes. That said, I don’t think WoTC is going anywhere. Hasbro is doing “just fine,” albeit worse off than they were previously.

6 Likes

I would expect that digital magic would continue, even if paper magic was discontinued.

2 Likes

Sorry to say but magic or yu gi oh for that matter doesn’t have the growth potential of Pokémon. No kids growing up today play either. Go to any school today and kids still love Pokémon.

4 Likes

Same could be said for Pokemon from 2003-2015 no?

There’s a skipped generation in between. Granted, the games still came out and did decently so it never really went away.

Magic has nothing to fall back on. No idea about Yu Gi Oh, Digimon etc.

2 Likes

I definitely understand where you come from. From personal experience I only knew one of my friends that played Magic and he tried to get me into it when I was in highschool (back in 2017). I gave it a shot, and it was actually fun to play, however I had no interest in collecting even when trying to force myself a bit. The cards just didn’t bring me any joy from seeing them or remind me of anything.

At least with Pokémon, I can look back at most cards and recall specific memories I had with them or look at the art and think of the anime. When he stopped playing Magic after a year, I literally had no reason to keep the cards anymore, so I sold them for like $200 I think (I had nothing expensive, just the deck I played and some bulk).

Fast forward to now, I’ve consistently collected Pokémon without pause for the past 7 years (now in my early 20s) and my collection is probably worth 130k+ and I have zero intention of stopping since I’m so involved with the franchise itself (excluding the cards). Pokémon has many video games that to me are timeless, and I still watch the anime.

Pokémon is always bringing in new ways to make the brand stronger and pull in the next generation.

4 Likes

I was in elementary school during that time and pokemon was still incredibly popular at my school. Everyone played the games and brought their cards to school as well.

3 Likes

No trust me kids during that time also had cards lol.

3 Likes

Thats impressive for someone in their early 20s

1 Like

Thank you! However, I look back on it and wish that during high school, I would have had a part time job, so I could have done more for my collection lol. I mostly got lucky on buying and holding pre covid (also a regret because I could have sold a few things at peak and rebought during the dip).

I’m excited to finally graduate next year cause that’s when I can finally work full time and indulge myself with a few things I wanted to have in my collection for a while and send all my autographed cards in for grading.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s totally the case.

They are trying to bring collectors in lately, with all the collector editions and all the new serializad cards, hoping this gives new live or some kind of fresh air to MTG… but I think is probably too late.

MTG people just don’t collect. And all the “outside collectors” that are now been attracted by this kind of products, will probably not be here in the long run, as they are not really into Magic or have any emotional attachment to it.

1 Like