Investing in Pokemon and Financial Responsibility

This post is designed to address the question “Should I invest in Pokemon?” in the same vain someone might ask, “should I invest in real estate or index funds?” It is not meant to answer the question “Should I collect Pokemon?”, as this is an individual subjective preference.

I’ll preface with a slight rant, in that as someone who enjoys helping friends, family and occasionally neighbours and local residents in my town with their finances (for free) and knows the perils of poor choices, I’m aggravated by the new trend of IG ‘influencers’ and YouTube channels touting Pokemon - ESPECIALLY Modern - as a must-have investment, or implying that Pokemon TCG products are viable as a central asset allocation within a retirement portfolio. Good financial management is not a strength for many people, so this could have a detrimental effect on the financial health of inexperienced collectors or those looking to diversify a portfolio. I won’t be discussing Modern here; while I wouldn’t dismiss it as a potentially good investment, I currently dismiss it as a serious one in comparison to classic, proven investment routes.

In terms of credentials, while I’m not a Financial Adviser by trade, I have a Level 4 Diploma in Regulated Financial Planning via the Chartered Insurers Institute, which is the UK’s standard qualification for becoming a client-facing Financial Advisor/Planner. I am however by no means an experienced Financial Planner. The points made here are not exhaustive, and will perhaps constitute common knowledge to many on E4, especially as smpratte has covered this topic quite extensively on his channel. The overall aim is to spread awareness of the importance of financial responsibility as this hobby becomes more and more investor-centric. To be able to make well-informed decisions will help prevent collectors from getting burned by a hobby that it supposed to bring enjoyment and nostalgia.

The Key Pros of investing in Pokemon TCG (‘Vintage’: WOTC/early Ex era)

• Growth potential. A young TCG as we’re all aware, nobody is yet certain as to the ‘ceiling’ for growth. Pokemon as a franchise appears to be growing. From this we might infer sustained or growth in interest over time.

• One of the most engaging investment asset classes. A tangible asset you can hold in your hand that has personal meaning to you while potentially growing in value makes PTCG an appealing option, and turns the spotlight on the benefits of personal capital growth for those who began less financially-minded.

• Medium-term track record of viability: see Scott’s videos. Now 20+ years old we have visibility of the medium-term price trend, which has been upwards. Out of print, limited availability etc., all the markers of the classic collectable. I will assert that 20 years is not ‘long-term’; see: stock market, Sports Cards, Golden Age Comics.

The Key Cons of investing in Pokemon TCG (‘Vintage’: WOTC/early Ex era)

• Greater risk. All investment asset classes carry risk. But PTCG is unproven in the long-term. We have no 50+ year market trend or analysis. Current growth markers for WOTC rest largely on the shoulders of one generation. This may, or may not, be enough to grow/sustain the hobby. Other generations may, or may not, find equal or greater interest. People’s (read: collectors’) life-cycles and priorities develop and change. Pokemon may have more, or it may have less desirability than it does now. The franchise may not exist in the future; will this be good or bad for the hobby? These aspects must be weighed-up in your risk analysis. This is a subjective guessing-game. The large number of potential variables, in and of itself, should be considered an aspect of ‘risk’.

• The product is illiquid. This means it cannot be easily exchanged for cash. There is a selling process that must be undertaken. While 1st Edition Base Set Shadowless Charizards may sell almost instantly, many other cards might not. Other assets such as stock equities and bonds can be exchanged almost instantly for capital. Consider this when weighing-up how quickly you may need access to the cash locked-up in your collection in the future.

• They are physical products. You have to store them. You may even have to insure them depending on their value. If PTCG forms part of your central retirement investment strategy, you’ll need to give your collection the highest protection reasonably available to you. Keeping high value physical items draws additional risks: theft, fire, accidental damage. It creates additional overheads that will impact your ROI (Return on Investment), such as cost of storage space and insurance premiums. You must assess whether you believe the ROI will outweigh overhead costs, compared to what ROI you may receive from more straightforward and secure asset classes.

• Risk of scamming. In order to capitalise on your collection, at some point you will need to sell some or all of it. If you are selling via eBay, there is a chance that you may get scammed. If a buyer files an Item Not as Described case (INAD) and decides to return you a brick in the mail, there’s a low probability you will get your money back. Look for the most secure ways of selling (3rd party facilitator, PWCC, in-person, F&F payments).

• The fact that you will have to part with your collection one day. If you view PTCG as a pure investment vehicle then this will not be a problem. If you have great sentiment for your collection while also treating it as a significant investment vehicle, you may suffer emotionally when having to part with it.

My Opinion - for what it’s worth - should you invest in Vintage Pokemon TCG?
My TL;DR answer to this is ‘yes’, but only under the following circumstances;

• You have educated yourself financially (a good place to start would be reading 'The Simple Path to Wealth’ by J.L. Collins - possibly one of the best personal finance books ever written. For UK readers, the book is very US-focused however the principles still apply).

• You have defined your long-term financial plan. What are your goals? What level of income do you want in retirement? What are your current job prospects? What are your sources of income and will these expand? What standard of living do you maintain?

• It is no more than a ‘satellite’ investment that you do not solely rely on for your financial future. We cannot all achieve what Scott and Gary have achieved. Your main portfolio should be based on what is proven to provide you with a solid retirement fund: multi-asset, diversified investment funds. An example of this is the low-cost funds provided by Vanguard.

• You already have an emergency fund (generally recommended to have 3-6 months’ worth of salary in an easily-accessible account).

• You have paid off any credit card or personal debts (NOT including mortgage). The interest accruing on these debts is significant and costing you a lot of money. As an illustrative example, if you gain 15% on your Pokemon collection in 1 year, but your credit card APR is 29%, you are still at a net loss of 14%. Please note I haven’t commented on Student Loans here as I’m unfamiliar with the US system; it is very different and sounds a lot scarier than the system we have in the UK!

• You have already prioritised your savings goals (e.g. house deposit, car) and pension scheme (For US readers; 401k, Roth IRA).

• You are willing to hold onto your collection for the long-term (in conventional investing terms this typically means 10+ years), and you are willing to ‘weather the storm’ of market crashes. This same principle applies to all long-term investing. Again, highly recommend the book by JL Collins mentioned above.

• You are not investing based on FOMO, but instead on a foundation of solid knowledge of the product and its fundamentals, and with responsible intentions.

The UK Personal Finance subreddit has a brilliant flowchart for anyone unsure about where to begin financially. You can follow it no matter what stage of your life finances you’re at, and the majority of the principles apply to an American audience too. A Link here: flowchart.ukpersonal.finance/.

I hope this helps bring investment context to the people who need it. I’ve written this all in one quick sitting, so please do add to, constructively criticise or correct anything I’ve stated here so that we can continue to spread awareness of financial responsibility.

EDIT: ShizzleMeTimbers made a good point that I didn’t cover adequately here. When making collecting-investing decisions, you should weigh-up your own appetite for risk. In other words, after considering the points made here, are you willing to take a higher risk and allocate more of your cash to investing in Pokemon TCG? Higher risks often yield the highest rewards, though at the same time can incur the greatest losses if the decision doesn’t pay off. We can all give our own opinions and ‘what-we’d-do’s’, but at the end of the day if it’s your prerogative to allocate more of your capital to Pokemon investment - or collection - then it is your decision alone to make.

44 Likes

I usually roast these “investing” threads but I think you’ve done a pretty good job of summarizing everything and pointing out that to truly invest in Pokemon, it’s a lot more than just buying 5 Hidden Fates tins with your pocket money.

I think one thing to emphasize to a very high level is the amount of knowledge you need to successfully put your money in a position to grow long-term. I’ve been back in the hobby for about six years and it’s been very recently that I feel like I’m able to make a confident market analysis and put my money into an undervalued product. My goals are not to invest, but rather to secure collection pieces at better prices, but the point stands.

17 Likes

@buckna, my registration to this forum isn’t reflective of my time spent in the hobby.

29 Likes

Appreciate the comment - was hoping this wouldn’t instantly be dismissed as ‘just another investment thread…’. 100% agree, if the investment and financial growth aspect of the hobby is secondary to the sentimental value and joy of collecting, then you absolutely can’t lose.

6 Likes

Enjoyable read mate :blush:

3 Likes

You may be right, but when all’s said and done I feel it’d be better to make the advice available - or at least provoke thought - than not at all. If I think back to my own personal circumstances I used to be absolutely dreadful with money and was incredibly ignorant towards what my parents would tell me, but because of the advice and resources other people have made available, I was able to educate myself when I decided it was the time to.

2 Likes

The best collections come from YOLOing into the night and obsessively going after a personal goal and learning and loving as much as you can about Pokemon as possible. E4 itself is an insanely useful resource with literally years and years of discovered resources. No guru financial book will make you collect cards better if I rationalized every purchase I have made over the years I would have a fraction of the cards I have now.

18 Likes

Asbolutely can’t deny the best collections have come about this way. This notion is summarised by the collector-investor’s appetite for risk. The highest risk can yield the highest reward. However the highest risk does not always pay off and can likewise yield the highest losses. The point of my post is so that collector-investors are equipped with all the facts before they make those decisions. Investing more into Pokemon than their 401k might be a priority for them due reasons that are entirely their own, which is absolutely fine, as long as they make those decisions while being aware of the comparative risks. But yeah, you do raise a valid point & I’ll update my post to account better for risk appetite.

2 Likes

If you collect instead of invest your risk is 0 and you will never have any regrets, no matter what happens to prices :blush:

25 Likes

lol how come you had to throw modern under the bus then warn of the dangers of vintage investing? Most of YT new streamers are noting all things wotc related as investment vehicles, even reading off prices for the day for certain cards, yet you highlight modern as a scary investment, why is that? Who streams and promotes MODERN investment?

Modern is just proven with numbers so far, especially during 2020.

Essentially you are providing financial planner caution to expectations for returns for wotc vintage and I think that maybe due when you see numbers from those sets trending back a little. I think most people investing into wotc are fomo unless they have Jeremy P funds to acquire the 10’s set on deals.

You wont go bankrupt or lose a marriage buying modern $30-$300 psa 10s, but if your’e spending $8,000 on a PSA 8 1st ed, you might sit on that card for a long time. spend $8k on psa 10 cards you can acquire from hidden fates set, you going to be sitting pretty later. This is all speculation though, so buy your wotc cards fast! in PSA 6-8 !

1 Like

@thevenusaurgarden , thank you for taking the time to make this post. I considered making one on this topic as well, but you covered everything necessary.

I also must strongly disagree with some comments in this thread. There’s the notion that the best collections result from ‘YOLOing into the night’ and straight out stop thinking about whether one has a solid retirement plan or even enough money to get through the next months and instead just ‘go for it’. This can easily be interpreted as ‘the best collections require you to act reckless and ignore any financial responsibility’, even if the posters didn’t mean it that way. I cannot even begin to tell you how dangerous this advice can be.

We are the biggest Pokemon TCG collector’s community that exists. New members looking for advice are registering by the day. And that’s what we recommend to them? That you should stop thinking and just keep on spending like there’s no tomorrow? In my opinion we also have a responsibility to at least try to prevent inexperienced members and young people from making horrible ‘investment’ mistakes, and that includes providing neutral information on investment risks in this hobby.

Btw, I also disagree with the argument itself: Many of the best collections came to be over a long period of time, through consistent and well thought-out collecting. By making priorities then by going after the highest priorities first instead of panic buying anything on the list whenever it pops up on the market. I can also tell you from what the best collections never came from: A 50% completed collection that had to be liquidated again because the collector overspent and got himself into debt.

9 Likes

Finance as a whole is lost on many. Money is something that a lot of people won’t ever fully understand. I always appreciate anyone trying to guide people on the right path. Nice synopsis.

7 Likes

Goodness, and yikes

3 Likes

lol buckna

1 Like

I partly agree with you. Not every assumption can be made by viewing historical data sets. I’m not disputing the fact that vintage/WOTC era cards can continue rising in price, it’s the fact that pokemon is an evolving asset.

Who’s to say that generation one to four pokemons are still relevant in ten years? New collectors majoritively come back into the hobby chasing their childhood. They could be chasing Rowlet, Litten or Popplio cards that were printed in 2018.

In relation to investment, it’s simple. Don’t take financial advice from youtube. Make rational decisions. Being emotional about your collection may work in your favour. Stronger hands :blush:

(I’m just a poor collector with strong opinions)

5 Likes

Thanks @brockoli , appreciate your comments and great post. Like you I personally also disagree with the other comments regarding ‘YOLOing’ as a strategy to building a collection, however following what ShizzleMeTimbers said I think the main thing is that if someone is going to make that decision, they have at least been given fair warning as to the associated risks and alternatives. After that, it’s on them. If someone’s has a life-passion for collecting Pokemon cards and over-extends themselves financially to fund it - and it pays off - then great. If it doesn’t, well they had fair warning. To me, financial advice is about providing someone with the best possible information to help them make their own decisions. I was a little hesitant about creating this thread as I didn’t want to appear to be wagging-the-finger or thrusting unwanted advice on people (finance as we know is a suuuper sensitive subject), however I feel this kind of discussion is now necessary given the unregulated and frankly irresponsible investment advice being increasingly touted online.

3 Likes

Just some cards bro. Take it easy and enjoy collecting. Pokémon cards is on the low end of collectibles Category. There are better option to really invest. But anyway. Just my opinions.

Modern cards are better options. You have a huge risk buying a WotC psa 10 and seeing it go down. If the WotC cars are always going up up up, it’s either the pool is too small for the big players and they want to easily manipulate the prices to make a good living, some random people bite the hook. Or people didn’t do their due diligence and bought some cards at a freaking eBay price, and the people take these examples as the market up up up.

no such things as prices go up up up when you have over 50 or even 20 units. If it really does. Be careful.

1 Like

Lol, this is exactly the same as “penny stocks are less risky because they’re cheaper”.

4 Likes

Seems like you’re assuming the up up up pattern.

People in pokemon are overly concerned with others choices. There is an odd entitlement to not only cards that people don’t own, but how much they should be worth and how others should enjoy them.

It’s no surprise the most successful people in this hobby don’t concern themselves with any of that noise. You have to figure out what works for you through experience. Not through people constantly pontificating about the word “investing”.

Ultimately if you don’t have genuine interest you will always be one step behind. Other than that, the only general advice is: collect what you enjoy and invest in rarity.

And don’t get discouraged if you like something that isn’t popular. That was my life for over a decade. Pokemon wasn’t trendy, everyone thought it was weird, a lot of collectors back then quit because of that pressure. Now every single person says, “I wish I did what you did”. Because they can’t, that opportunity is gone, because they listened to noise instead of what they enjoyed.

40 Likes