Does anyone buy purely for investment?

I was wondering if there was anyone here that buys Pokemon cards purely for investment.

Are there any of you that don’t buy it for collecting/nostalgia purposes? Are there any of you that buy now that had no interest at all when you were younger?

If so why do you pick Pokemon over something like long term dividend growth with compounding interest?

Just going to throw a random example out there…

For instance you can purchase some of the 1st edition PSA 9 graded base holos for around 500$. Do you value that over 500$ invested in a dividend portfolio?

I am just curious!!

1 Like

Your first line can be interpreted in multiple ways. Do you mean does anyone here have no collections at all, or do you mean is there times where people buy pokemon items with no intention of putting them into a collection?

If the latter, I do it all the time. Simple answer, I invest in things I know.

4 Likes

I’d never invest in something I don’t like. Buying items that you enjoy makes it so much easier to hold long term and get the most gains!

8 Likes

To put things more clear… do any of you here care nothing at all about the cardboard pocket monsters and are purely in the game for profit?

If the answer to that question is yes… I ask why have you chosen Pokemon as an investment over something else like dividend stocks?

@silverpokemon,
Not sure why any long term active member here would even be here if not an enthusiast.

16 Likes

@silverpokemon, as Gary said this is a collector’s site. you’ll rarely find anyone here that invests in Pokemon without actually caring about it. more often than not people just buy what they like and those assets will eventually appreciate in value. (as long as you don’t like steam siege.)

3 Likes

Now’s the time to buy. Stocks and shares are being hammered, while physical collectables are rising. Tangible items are the safest bet in this new age. Get those WoTC’s while you can!

2 Likes

You’ll regret saying this when the panic buyers wipe out the earths supply of toilet paper… Steam siege will surge!

8 Likes

Post of the month :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

How come you guys hate Steam Siege so much? Just curious lol. For me, Evolutions is far worse.

OT: Pretty much what Gary said, from my limited experience, a lot of flippers/investors come and go over time, but collectors always stay.

2 Likes

Hey I don’t understand why people are jumping on you about not wanting to be a collector or a pokemon enthusiast. To be honest I am. I grew up with it and love all of the old stuff and most of everything I have is for my own collection an enjoyment while being an investment as well.

Hoewever for people to say why would you buy if you don’t care about the items is wrong. Anyone who puts into a 401k and IRA usually owns mutual funds. Now there is no way anyone can tell me they have a conection or enjoyment out of owning those or the company’s stocks in those funds. Also talk to any real estate investor who owns rentals. They don’t care about their rental homes personally. They do the necessary repairs and updates to get maximum returns and get renters in their right away to start making a return on their investment but have very little if 0 attachment to that property.

So to answer your question it is not wrong at all to add Pokemon as one of your investment vehicles for the future. And this site is a good place to be a part of even if you arn’t a collector just to keep your knowledge up on the market movements, trends and pricing. Also most every Pokemon invesntment I have made in the past 5 years from 2014 ish through last year has LARGLY OUTPERFORMED the stock market and real estate market with most being over 100% growth such as vintage 1st edition PSA 10 cards and Vintage Booster Boxes.

Just make sure your investing like you would in other areas like the stock market or real estate FOR THE LONG TERM and not to flip. I don’t think you can go wrong with anything vintage for the long term.

Goodluck!

2 Likes

@mysterydungeongaming, no one said that it was wrong. we just pointed out that you are most likely going to find collectors on a collectors site.

1 Like

It’s impossible. Pokemon is a subpar investment product and in order to even have a chance of making real money you need to know the hobby inside and out. No way someone develops that knowledge without a genuine interest.

7 Likes

Ugh the steam siege thing is a meme i spawned in season 1 of e4 discord… it ended up spreading like the coronavirus.

The joke is just that it was a super mediocre Set… no one actually hates it but no one really cares for it either. Surely if crimson invasion would’ve been released at the time it might’ve been the target… but steam siege was the hot new thing then.

4 Likes

100% look at Rudy and his Pokemon investments, smart dude but didn’t have genuine interest beyond investment.

8 Likes

Can’t you be an alternative asset pro, though?

@shizzlemetimbers
Well said, buying thousands of EX/GX boxes pretty much made sure there was little to no profit available in long run. At least the recent Pokemon related video by him makes me think a lesson has been learned and it’s time to focus on gen 1-3 sealed boxes.

2 Likes

“Alternative asset pro” is just jargon for someone who hasn’t accepted the fact that they’re genuinely interested in something widely seen as a children’s toy.

6 Likes

I know the question is “purely for investment”, but I would say that is a hard question for me to answer. Over the past few years I’ve made purchases out of pure enjoyment of collecting (booster boxes/mint 1st Eds/Graded Cards) with the thought in the back of my head that I could sell this down the road and make x % profit if I wanted to.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can buy purely for investment and make it in this hobby. The people with the highest margins are people who actually have a genuine interest and are engaged. You have to actually like Charizard, Dragonite and Jolteon instead of just seeing them as dollar signs.

If you are coming in for the sole purpose of making a quick buck, you are going to have a bad time.

Now, if you do have a genuine interest and have collected knowledge and want to make educated purchases based on the knowledge you have acquired? That’s a different story.

3 Likes