Investing in sealed product: Hidden Fates vs Evolutions

Hey, I’m going to link you to some threads we’ve had recently that should be of interest to you. Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5 Link6

I’d also add, being a serious collector doesn’t mean you’re also an investor and vice versa. Serious collectors don’t necessarily care about the values of their cards going to zero, serious investors do. A lot of people will meme you on that (shining ttar) but that’s because the forum gets a fair amount of these questions and there are answers if you dig through the previous threads.

As for your question, Evolutions and Hidden Fates are very different sets in terms of collectability as they’re very different sets. Evolutions has the Base set reprint nostalgia effect going for it, Hidden Fates has shinies galore. Depending on your price point you likely won’t lose money on either but you’re less likely to make money of Evolutions in the short-medium term versus Hidden Fates. Invest in both if you can, diversifying is usually a good call, Hidden Fates is what I’d buy if I wanted a highly-speculative investment as it has a lot going for it + high nostalgic value in 10+ years. Edit: I forgot, heavy recommendation to invest in vintage as it’s a more established thing but if you’re into the modern stuff then yeah you do you. Just less of a track record overall.

I’ll also add Hidden Fates doesn’t have trophy cards. Trophy cards are a very specific thing in this hobby and you can read more in this link. Hidden Fates has a lot of chase cards if that’s what you’re looking for. I hope this helps.

2 Likes