Percent of Networth Invested in Pokemon...

Quick question and curious to hear most people’s answers. I did the math today and realized about 25% of my entire networth is invested in children’s cardboard.

What about some of you guys?

Here’s a video from Mark Cuban explaining how he thinks only 10% of your networth should be invested in something like Bitcoin or Pokemon tcg…

2 Likes

Roughly 33% pokemon after the boom and selling a few things. It’s way too high for my own liking.

My ideal four pillar Wealth breakdown. With cash used for opportunities as they come up.

25% Cash
25% Property
25% Shares
25% Collectibles

4 Likes

Wow, my breakdown is pretty much the exact same

I think Cuban has a point, 10% is a solid amount. Being in the 25% range is definitely very aggressive, and I will hopefully grow the other pillars until that gets down close to 10-15.

It’s so hard to say, and it really is a fluid number. For me personally I have been collecting for 21 years, and with the recent price spikes, all of a sudden my exposure and net worth in Pokémon is far greater than what a financial advisor would probably deem prudent. What can ya do.

3 Likes

Basically all of it lol. I’m in college. It depends on how many things you consider assets. I guess I theoretically could sell my computer, my Switch, all my clothes, etc. but I would basically just consider it split between my car and collectibles. I spent more on my car but my collection is worth far more now. It’s almost like they move in different directions because I use and put wear on one and the other becomes more historical and harder to find with time. :thonk:

14 Likes

About 3%-5% depending on values of some packs and things…was higher but sold a bunch since June.

waiting for the member that says 150% of networth cause he levered up on pokemon

21 Likes

I’m 100% poor

7 Likes

I’m a college student without a job and have about 85% of my net worth in Pokemon cards. I didn’t plan on having that much. I’ve spent tens of thousands on cards over the past 5 years when I was working and have been selling on eBay for a year and a half. The cards I’ve bought are just valued much higher now and I don’t have any income except eBay at the moment where I don’t sell that much because I want to keep 90% of my cards.

3 Likes

I agree with Mark that you should not lock more than 10% of your net worth into something speculative such as pokemon trading cards.

These items are not very liquid, raise eyebrows/red flags when you trade in the 5-6 figure range and are very volatile depending on market availability / demand.

This is from an investment perspective however, if you really enjoy collecting and don’t have a desire for other luxuries in life, then don’t worry too much. As long as you have a roof over your head, able to provide for your family (education, food, occasional holiday trips together).

3 Likes

I wish Mark Cuban would put 10% of his money into Pokemon.

3 Likes

.5%. i am a tiny collector.

1 Like

If you invest in pokemon you should maybe know how much percentage you have invested in it, but if you just like to collect, why would it matter how much you have invested. You collect it, might not ever sell it, so you might not even want to count it towards your net worth.

2 Likes

*Raises hand

*Looks around

*Slowly puts hand down

13 Likes

10% is an arbitrary number. What really matters is that if your Pokemon card collection literally goes up in flames your life plans won’t figuratively go up in flames.

17 Likes

My % invested in something can change a lot, depending if I find very good deal and how safe I feel.
I wouldnt have sleeping problems investing 30% of my networth in pokemon cards :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Around 6% if I don’t include my Pichu collection, 15% or so if I do - although it’s pretty difficult at the moment to get a feel for what some cards are now worth. I’ve sold off some of my heavy hitters recently and that 6% figure would have been around 10% 2 months ago.

1 Like

Around 70%. Not intentional. Pokemon has simply way out performed the stock market and I don’t own real estate.

24 Likes

I don’t invest, I collect :blush:

OT: Probably about 2.5-5% of my net worth is in cards, probably a bit over 5% if you consider my other collectibles.

1 Like