Percent of Networth Invested in Pokemon...

I’m just saying for me, it’s less than 10%. I have many other interests besides pokemon, some of which are pure enjoyment and a waste of funds such as collecting whisky.

Of course there will be others that go balls deep at 99% or even take loans to buy cards. Those that do, and have an established reputation and long list of clients are probably doing extremely well so kudos to those guys!

I work in alternative assets, and am always way over allocated there. I invest, with leverage, heavily into my own funds. If carrying value of all of that was included Pokemon would be tiny as a %. But that’s all pretty illiquid, along with real estate, 401k etc. If liquid net worth was the measure Pokemon would be much more significant.

1 Like

At least someone is with me. I happen to have 70-80 percent of my net worth in cards as well. I just can’t help myself but continue buying with any excess money after bills.

As long as rents paid, and foods on the table how much I spend in cards isn’t a huge issue. Also zero credit card debt. All my own cash

2 Likes

Lol with 10% of his net worth (that’s somewhere around $400 million-ish) he could buy every pokemon card in existence and still have plenty leftover

about 50%, but i treat it as a business and I wish it was higher.

20% is long term
30% is short term
50% is turnover inventory (flipper central)

if i had a business i believed in as much as pokemon or had the knowledge that i do about pokemon I would go all in all the time.

Elon Musk sold paypal for 180M and then invested every dollar into spacex, tesla and solar city. had to get a loan to pay rent.

if pokemon tanks, i enjoyed the ride. if it continues doing well, i will keep getting back in line to stay on the same ride as long as possible because i love it.

9 Likes

Over 80% of my net worth is in cards.

I’m a grad student living off a stipend and my prior job didn’t pay much. I have a wife too but she doesn’t work as she’s waiting on her green card. I will be making 6000-6500$ a month starting after I graduate (already have the offer) and in four years I’ll be at ~8500$.

As for debt I have ~60,000$ worth of student loans and nothing else. It may sound like a lot but I will have been in school for seven years, and five of those years were paid for! It was 30,000$ for one year (including living expenses).

Pokemon cards are outpacing my interest rates so it’s actually better to hold onto them but I don’t plan on selling.

2 Likes

40% pokemon
40% sports cards
20% crypto

only keep cash for rent, the rest of it goes to buying more coins or cards lol

fiat is dying

5 Likes

me too, I feel more safe with pokemon cards and shares (and a little crypto) instead of fiat…

That’s some solid conviction.

Would be nice to see other fund managers put their money where their mouth is.

2 Likes

Way too much lately. Planning to pay off my house next year with unlimited PSA 10 non holo proceeds to bump the real estate portion up and the Pokemon portion down where I feel more comfortable. Not even joking as long as the recent non holo PSA 10 prices don’t fall more than 50%.

8 Likes

If it all went to 0 I’d be just fine.

2 Likes

0%, I do not intentionally “invest” in Pokemon.

5 Likes

About 3% after a quick tally. I don’t own any property yet so all my wealth is either 401k, personal stock purchases, and cash in the bank outside of my two cars (one being my not so perfect '79 corvette which won’t stay running).

Like many others in this thread, my collection was not meant to be anywhere near valuable enough to even think that it would be part of my net worth but over time it has substantially grown in value that it has to be considered. I do not know what percentage it is nor do I want to as everything is relative and I did not spend that much to acquire everything.

I also find it hard to believe that people are really saying that it is 0% because I doubt these people do not own any cards. Just because it is not an investment does not mean it is not part of your net worth. I cannot imagine that if anyone on here were to come on unfortunate times and have serious financial distress that they would rather be in perpetual debt than sell some cards to help sort their lives out. Also, people buy houses to live in, not just for resell value in the future, so it is more than an investment and is def part of people’s net worth (unless you live in a cardboard box with just your pokemon cards of course). At least for me as well, there is a point on every item i own (except my beat up childhood cards) where i would consider selling. And to that extent, it means that at a certain point it is part of your net worth.

5 Likes

I’ve put in around 5k into cards in the last year. The majority of my net worth is in cards, but I am a college student and have a fun time collecting

2 Likes

75%+. When you’re young, you can take risk. I would have never been able to get ahead following cookie cutter investment advice.

12 Likes

One doesn’t necessarily “invest” in real estate yet for many their home is a fairly substantial part of their net worth that can’t just be ignored (myself included). Whether for pleasure or business one should be mindful of their overall asset allocation IMO.

Investing is a dirty word around still here like flipping and weighing were a few years ago, but they both became a lot more respected or allowed at least. One can take the thread title very literally and shy away from the dirty “I” word or one can take it for it’s intent meaning what is the answer to your personal equation: Value of Pokemon/Total value of all assets*100. It doesn’t mean you have to answer it or like that it was asked.

10 Likes

I’m about in the same place.

For me I was negative net worth through college and for a long period after graduation due to car loan and student loan debt. If I never collected Pokémon, I’d be just into net positive only because my 401k is now a bit higher than the remaining student loan debt I have.

However, because I collected Pokémon, it’s put me into 6 figure net worth territory. I expect that as I get older Pokémon will be less and less of my net worth, but for now Pokémon is the most significant reason I’m not poverty-stricken. Which is a bit crazy to have been so fortunate from a children’s card game, but like you said if I followed traditional investing advice and put the money I spent on Pokémon into an IRA or something, I’d have a lot less wealth presently.

3 Likes

Definitely agreed. I’m the first person to tell people to be financially smart about their collecting goals and to be mindful about the amount of money they put into cards. I’m also not oblivious to the fact that people have made a lot of money through Pokemon, although I don’t think it’s clear that the people who did so did it with “investment” in mind.

The market aspect for Pokemon is interesting and fun and I enjoy talking about it. But as I’m sure others have noticed, recently there’s been a massive shift towards viewing Pokemon as a moneymaking vehicle as opposed to a collecting hobby. We see it with the “whatshouldibuy” posts and the constant generic “how much will x be worth in the future” threads. This thread is a prime example, the question isn’t “how much is your collection worth in comparison to your other assets,” it’s “how much have you invested in Pokemon.” We might interpret it differently, but it’s clear the OP was approaching it from an investment point of view.

Perhaps I’m just salty and this is a necessary evolution of the hobby, or a natural consequence of prices literally going to the moon in a short period of time. But I do feel like a lot of enjoyment has been sucked out of the hobby by people reducing things to dollars and cents. Not to say that people can’t do both, but I think the people who put their money into cards to “invest” will always come out behind those who do it solely because they love the hobby.

14 Likes

Take two people entering the hobby with the same capital and the same general interest in Pokemon. One is a seasoned investor who understands how to model asset growth, and the other’s a collector who wants to only buy what interests him. How can you possibly make the claim that the investor would “come out behind”? What metric are you using to define that?

My point is - if other people are increasingly in the hobby, as you surmise, for the “dollars and cents”, wouldn’t you be happy with that, since you’re a collector with genuine interest?