How much of your net worth is tied up in Pokemon cards?

Not really looking for exact numbers but at what point do you say “whoaaaa…I need to stop?” I have been on a spending spree in the last few months and really need to stop and I don’t want to get to the point where I am irresponsible…any long timers on here kind of get that good balance? Of course I still have plenty to pay bills / etc but I’m talking about how much of your disposible income is in this hobby and when do you stop even if you see a great deal?

2 Likes

I realised i needed to take a step back a few months ago, not that i was going broke but yeah, i could see that it was becoming a problem and spending a lot. I started collecting about 2 years ago for the first time since '02. Haven’t bought any cards since November and stopped myself even when i saw a good deal. It actually felt quite cathartic and kind of felt like i had more clarity.

1 Like

You’ll slow down eventually. As long as you’re not the type that wants and feels like you need everything you see. Sometimes you have to think about an item twice or more to figure out if you really want/need it. As for me I have spent $100 a week for about 3 years, but not always. I put a weekly cap on how much I spend on my hobbies. Sometimes it’s the full $100 sometimes less and sometimes nothing at all. If you feel like it’s really getting out of control, staying away from social media helps a lot.

Later!

1 Like

With all these ebay early black friday sales and ebay bucks deals, i need to slow down a bit!

2 Likes

its good you can recognize that carrying on could lead to problems down the line before you got into a pickle, rather then after if you feel me? :wink: if you feel you are spending too much then find the gate way and close it. do you buy them late at night in the dark, bidding on ebay while drinking lemonade? then stop going on the pc at night and go walk your dog? dont have a dog? adopt one :grin: :grin: :grin: they are adorable and every home should have one. :grin:!

2 Likes

Haha I have 3 dogs so no problems there!

1 Like

This is too funny to me. The solution to not spending money on a hobby is to adopt a creature that cost money to feed, has vet bills, and requires your most precious resource, time.

3 Likes

Cullers IRL:

Ain’t nobody got time for emotions!

10 Likes

Was about to tell you how my 17year old dog is HAS to be cheaper than any pokemon card I own… till I did the math alone on $50 of food a month, times 17yrs, and it being over $10,000 lol

3 Likes

my net worth is my pokemon cards lol

16 Likes

All of it … I live off 2 minute noodles and my son lives off air while the hobby controls my life :smirk:

4 Likes

What kind of training did your son go through to learn how to do that? I need to know for myself. Thanks.

Roughly 5.5%

2 Likes

Definitly spent way to much recently

My job lets part-timers like me compete with full timers for bonuses, so I have been lucky in that I can go above my budget limits since I have been winning lately. Even then, this month’s spending has got my wallet hurting. Definitely taking it easy in April (unless I get another bonus :wink: ).

Win at what?

1 Like

Whoops. Fixed it. I meant to say win another bonus since it is a monthly thing my job does.

1 Like

About 50% of net worth is in Pokémon. 25% in other collectibles. 25% in gold and savings.

3 Likes

Only rounding to the tenth is pretty rough. You shouldn’t have even bothered.

4 Likes

like 12-15 % Pokemon, like 50% in Precious metals-need to sell off much of this and buy more cards =P