How much of your monthly income goes into the hobby?

How much of your monthly income goes into collecting cards? I’m specifically talking about stuff you buy to keep, without any plan to sell in the future.

I recently received a promotion, I earn 50% more than what used to 6 months ago. I’ve been living frugally in the past years, and I was putting lot of effort to save as much as possible. I’m now in a comfortable position, I can easily afford to pay rent, bills, food, have fun, and I’m also saving around 35% of my income. While I can obviously afford the hobby, I still have a deep sense of guilt when I buy £250+ items. I love the cards but I can’t stop thinking that I could just save those money in a long-term investments.

So I’m here asking you guys what kind of approach you have when it comes to buy cards? Do you have a monthly limit?

7 Likes

Nice try, IRS.

47 Likes

Definitely not giving you anything that can be cited in court. Sorry.

I don’t get to understand these kind of answers, maybe you it is just my lack of knowledge about the tax system in the US (I live in the UK). Why your spending on an hobby be cited in court or give you problems with IRS?
I’m talking about budgeting my net income, not the gross.

1 Like

The basis of the joke is the implication that we, as collectors, are deceptive and dishonest about our income for the purposes of performing tax fraud or receiving government assistance. Not actually though, that is the joke.

The joke is high-ironic and tongue-in-cheek and does not reflect an actual, grounded precaution or reality. Simplified, the punchline is that someone who is dishonest about their income probably has something to hide, and it is humorous to imagine what nefarious behavior someone might perform in the pursuit of Pokémon cards.

2 Likes

Jokes aside I spend more on Pokémon than I spend on groceries.

1 Like

Alright than, I get the joke. I obviously had some crazy behaviour when I was younger and had the urge to buy something. I definitely can tell that people do crazy stuff when they really want to fulfill their desire :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a similar thread… with similar responses! I think it’s a combination of shame and also having to admit that you might have a problem that leads people to leave vague answers🤣

9 Likes

This one too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I usually try to spend under $300 a month, sometimes I spend $0. Just depends on if something I really want pops up or not.

My monthly budget goes like this:

I first contribute close to 15% of my gross pay to pre-tax retirement accounts.

Then, I put aside 20% of the remaining take-home pay for ALL discretionary spending, of which Pokemon is a part.

Some months Pokemon may eat up a majority of that 20%. It depends on how much I spend on other non-essentials that month.

3 Likes

Glad to hear there is at least one person in the community who is wise with their money before blowing it all on Pokemon :joy:

1 Like

With the help of CGC and PSA subs in 2020 I was able to finally pay off my student loans. The amount I was paying monthly for my loans is now equal to the amount I spend on stupid shiny children’s cardboard, and I will simply leave it at that :skull:

8 Likes

@Tapp

I’ve contemplated getting a second job to fund my Pokemon addiction… :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Depends how I do in the market. Was fortunate enough to be able to pay off my house and be debt free so that opened more possibilities for me.

10 Likes

Damn, good for you. I have no idea how old you are, but I’m 25, and paying off a house sounds like a dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

16 Likes

Thanks. I’m 32. Helps with the cost of living not being super high in Kentucky, but yah it’s a great feeling.

4 Likes

Usually 7-8 % , but i have few bills, and fewer obligations.

I’ve never checked and at this point I’m too afraid to.

2 Likes