Are Collectibles, such as Pokémon TCG, Good Investments?

Are collectibles good investments? If so, all of them are?

Collectible enthusiasts often let their passion guide them and try to justify all their purchases with the phrase “I’m investing.” Squandering money in this way is widespread and unfortunately leads to small and not-so-small fortunes ending up minuscule.

In the last article, we discussed the stages that a collectible goes through and how it transitions from being something speculative to something more stable over the years (if it gains popularity among collectors).

Today, we will explore which collectibles acquire the status of being worthwhile investments. Then, as always, we will relate this to Pokémon TCG to draw conclusions regarding this specific hobby.

Investment vs. Speculation

First, we should describe what speculation and investment mean, as there is often confusion between the two, leading us to make financial mistakes.

Investing means exchanging money or resources for assets that you expect to increase in value over time, resulting in capital gains.

Good investments tend to focus more on the asset’s value rather than its current price. Above all, they are planned with a time horizon of more than 5 years.

On the other hand, speculation means trading money or resources for less stable or untested assets, hoping to make substantial profits by selling them in the short term (less than 5 years).

Speculations tend to focus more on the price of the asset at a specific point in time rather than its true value. Speculative bubbles and moments of FOMO often determine the success or failure of these risky operations.

Assets considered “good for investment” usually bring moderate gains or losses with lower risk. Compound interest and the passage of time are what typically turn portfolios containing such assets into significant wealth. Examples include quality real estate or globally weighted index funds that encompass the best companies worldwide.

In contrast, speculative assets come with higher gains or losses accompanied by high risk. Examples include stocks of new companies, shitcoins (a term referring to highly speculative and volatile cryptocurrencies), and also most collectibles (or specific segments within each of them, as we will see later).

Lack of financial education can lead many to think they are investing when, in reality, they are exposing their capital to significant risk…

Now that these two concepts are clear, and before we continue with the topic, you might be wondering:

And what if I’m simply collecting?

It is true that speculative bubbles and significant price increases in many collectibles, including Pokemon TCG, have attracted many investors and speculators to hobbies that were once predominantly for collectors.

While the three groups of people learn to coexist and adapt to a new reality, collectors still have their share of the pie and assert their presence.

And yes, if you are someone who is in the hobby solely for the joy of collecting, you may not need to worry as much about the differences between investing and speculating or the relationship between cards and money. Focus on collecting sensibly.

Just make sure to collect responsibly (try not to sacrifice your basic needs or struggle to pay rent for the sake of buying cards) and enjoy the process.

Now, let’s focus on the main subject at hand…

Which collectibles could be considered suitable for investment?

In traditional finance, a company with a “high investment grade” is one that implies a low risk of default, making it able to obtain cheap financing (investing in it is deemed safer by credit rating agencies).

In the world of antiques and collectibles, achieving the status of being “optimal for investment” means being a low-volatility asset with clear long-term appreciation potential.

Collectibles that attain this status are those that fall within the top 10-15% of each hobby. This is generally determined by the industry.

Here, I would like to make a couple of points based on my opinion and experience.

Collectibles themselves fall into the category of speculative assets in general. And even when they belong to a mature market (read this article to understand what I’m talking about), they are not immune to public loss of interest and drastic price declines.

Therefore, I prefer to set that percentage at 10%, rather than extending it to 15%, for collectibles in a mature state, such as ancient coins.

On the other hand, when we talk about a collectible in its speculative stage, like Pokemon TCG, I like to limit the “suitable for investment” status to 1-3% (perhaps you could convince me to consider up to 5%).

You can call me conservative if you want, but always remember the distinctions between speculation and investment that we made at the beginning of the article. When I invest, I do so with a minimum time horizon of 5 years in mind, but more likely closer to 10-15 years.

What collectibles should we consider to include in this category? Let’s talk specifically about Pokemon TCG.

Entering this 1-3% range is not an easy task.

The requirements are to excel in three characteristics simultaneously:

Rarity, condition, and demand/liquidity.

This exercise requires some serious thinking, and when you think you have narrowed it down enough, narrow it down even further. Always considering all three characteristics at once.

Only the “Blue-Chip” cards make it into the 1-3% range. Examples could include:

• Charizard 1st Base Set English PSA 10

• Charizard No Rarity PSA 10

• Rayquaza Star English PSA 10

• Pikachu Illustrator PSA 10 and PSA 9

• Kangaskhan Family Event Trophy PSA 10 and PSA 9.

As you can see, we are talking about items at the pinnacle of the hobby.

If you’re wondering whether your Moonbreon fits into this category, I’m sorry to say that it does not.

With a PSA 10 population over 5,000 and an estimated print run in English exceeding 85,000 units, we cannot consider Moonbreon as scarce.

On the other hand, its counterpart Umbreon Star in PSA 10, with a reported population of 55 and tremendous demand whenever one becomes available for sale, would likely fall within the 3-10% range of the hobby.

These cards are the ones that are most likely to maintain a high value over the years. Even if the hobby were to suffer a major setback and interest in it were to halve, there would still be people willing to pay fortunes for these types of pieces.

Even if collectors’ preferences were to change and focus more on other aspects of the hobby, such as sealed products, these kinds of cards would always have demand.

This makes them much less risky investments.

Most of the cards you think you’re investing in, pose a significant risk to your portfolio if you’re genuinely buying them for that purpose.

Overprinted products, although they may initially reach high prices, carry the risk of plummeting when collectors’ interest shifts toward “the new chase card.”

This may be the problem we will soon see with all this hype surrounding the modern era. Some things will manage to maintain collectors’ interest (yes, it is possible that Moonbreon becomes the flagship of this new era), but most will not.

We must not forget that this is nothing more than cardboard with a dose of nostalgia/passion, and value is primarily driven by scarcity and demand.

Conclusion

As we mentioned before, you may simply be collecting what you love, and you may not care at all about the financial performance of your collection.

Either way, I hope that today you have learned some concepts that you can apply at some point or that have shed some light on the topics discussed.

Take a moment to think about what, in your opinion, would fall within that top 3% of the hobby and feel free to share it below.

Let’s start the discussion. :smiley:

P.S.: To help you compile your list, this article published by @EnlightenedBulbasaur about the rarest Pokemon TCG cards can be helpful (a tremendous contribution to the community). If they also meet the condition and demand criteria, they are strong contenders to occupy top 1-5%.

1 Like

You’re estimating a 1.5b print run for ES with that number I’m assuming?

I assume you’re referring to the stamp example in the previous article?

If a mature market goes through wholesale loss of interest, then can it really be considered blue chip etc. I guess this gets into the weeds since “long term” here only means 5 years, which is still relatively short and given a long enough timeframe everything becomes riskier. Companies can be mismanaged, property can be destroyed, pandemics can happen lol.

1 Like

Exactly. These numbers are based on Dan’s (KetchumCollectibles) study about printruns, which I feel is as accurate as it can be. Estimating an Evolving Skies printrun of 1500 millions in all languages.

To access that study, you can go to the Patreon he has with Jake from Pokenomics.

Yes, this could be an example of what I am saying.

Continuing with the stamp example, there are Blue Chips in it. So that is great to illustrate this.
Even though interest from collectors in the stamp mature market is no way near what it was in the past, there is still a top 1-3% of pieces selling for very high prices.

Agree. And this is why I say that even when a collectible reaches a mature market… it’s not totally safe from disaster. On the other hand, 1-3% top items of it, could still be traded for high prices and retain value.

1 Like

At the end of the day pokemon cards are still a collectible and aren’t a commodity like precious metals, oil or lumber. People don’t need them to survive and so they’re always at risk of high fluctuation due to the economy and peoples’ interest. The Pokemon Company could make lots of (or one very big) bad decision(s) and cause mass loss of interest in its product, we just don’t know. I don’t see it happening anytime soon but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen and that’s just the risk you run when you “invest/speculate” in collectibles.

2 Likes

Totally agree. That is basically what I meant with “ this is nothing more than cardboard with a dose of nostalgia/passion”.

As you said, mistakes could ruin it all.

It’s obvious that Pokemon TCG is solid as ever has been, and Pokemon as a franchise is very strong! Let’s hope for the Pokemon Company not making huge mistakes, and we will have hobby for decades.

1 Like