Recession Discussion

How will a recession affect the market?

1 Like

Not really, collectibles are the last thing that will go south.

Collectibles aren’t liquid “assets”. They don’t appear on a balance sheet, they can’t be used as collateral and the majority of people holding significant, rare or more desirable Pokemon cards aren’t dummies or flippers going beyond their means… anymore. We’ve spent the last 3 years watching the collector base absorb all the wotc holos which end up on the open market after a huge surge of capital and supply from 2016-2018.

It’s hard to sell collectables. It could get bad for some people, really bad and they might sell off cards but the Rudys and Scotts of the world will be there waiting to scoop up said collections.

Interest in Pokemon is growing exponentially. Trading cards as a market/investment vehicle are growing. You’ve got nothing to worry about as long as you have the stomach for risk and don’t spend beyond your means.

If Pokemon tanks it won’t be soon, it will be in a few years IF collectors leave the hobby en masse and prices plateau. Even then the “low” that might come would probably still be much higher than the prices we see today.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s true. When people come into financial hardship they part with luxuries in order to gain necessities.
For this to happen they often accept reduced sales prices in favour of expedient solutions to other problems - credit card debt, bills, etc.

Case in point.

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/pawnbroking-the-business-that-always-does-well-in-hard-times-8558926.html
www.smh.com.au/business/pawnbrokers-thriving-as-poorest-hurt-in-slowdown-20130701-2p5uh.html

Over the long term pokemon will likely continue to grow as an investment vehicle. But you can’t honestly believe our cards aren’t going to take a hit due to the current economic climate.

I think you are way too optimistic - and yes, i am heavily monetarily invested in pokemon and still think it will happen.

8 Likes

7 year old tabloid articles don’t really worry me.

I’m optimistic because the world’s wealth keeps increasing. People will still want Ferraris, Philippe Pateks and Base Set Charizards no matter what the temporary macroeconomic bear market is like.

More people enter markets than leave them every day. Some markets decline but most are growing and there’s just not enough scarce goods, resources or commodities to go around, that’s why things have value.

5 Likes

Your browser does not support video embedding. Please update your browser.

2 Likes

Could you find a better source, then people might listen to your point. I do agree that cards will see a slight decrease, but nothing more than like 10-20%.

A better source to hilight that pawn brokers do well in downturns?
Which indicates that people tend to sell more of their belongings when there is a downturn to alleviate financial stress?
I clearly said pokemon as an investment will likely continue to go higher in the larger picture, but not before prices take a few steps back off the back of the current developments within the global economies.
It’s cyclical in nature. But to be ignorant enough to think pokemon and hobby collections at large are immune to “going south”, meaning re-tracing - seems illogical to me.
And 10-20% correction is a decrease…

Meanwhile, budget is recommending to yolo over here with overspending and i just can’t understand it.

I can’t wait to pop back into this thread in a couple of months and see how it aged

19 Likes

I agree with him. LV were expecting $43 billion in losses since the media created virus panic. I’ve read articles stating its the worst year in modern history for the global luxury market. So much for luxury goods thriving in a crisis…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If high-end Pokemon goes down in the next 6-12 months it will bounce back in the long term. I can panic or I can look at what’s happened after every financial crisis in the last 100 years.

People will always want to invest and collect and growth of anything isn’t constant.

5 Likes

It’s about the strength of Pokemon as a whole, specifically what’s happening in Pokemon right now.

Cards are being bought up like crazy, everyone is aware of the insane demand for anything wotc currently.

That part of my post applies to the prices OP might see for cards online. If you want X 4 figure card it’s completely fine to pay a bit more than what the last one sold for on ebay, the extra cash you’re parting with is negligible if it’s going to be in your collection for a long time or you’re building a position that you’re going to sell off in 4+ years.

I found it both cute and hilarious that you put a base set Zard in the same sentence as Patek Phillippe and Ferrari :blush:

2 Likes

I find it disturbing the amount of condescension people have for other people’s opinions in this thread and many similar ones recently. I wonder if we could try and tone things down a bit? :blush:

7 Likes

Is cash a luxury? Well neither are collectibles.

1 Like

The King has spoken

Did i mention anything about panicing or a complete crash? I merely suggested a correction may be on the cards. Never said it was permenant or that the collecting will die.

It always is, until it isn’t. It doesn’t take much for people to pull back their spending for cards until the economy shows signs of improvement.

1 Like

Not talking about the current state of the world economy, never was in that original post.

It’s general collecting advice, don’t be scared to overpay for things because most often that little bit more you pay is negligible to the long term value of that card.

I asked your logic - we went there, you disagreed that it would affect the pokemon card collectible market.
Life goes on.

Remember the days when you really wanted a card and you found the going rate and you saved up and bought it and it made you really happy?

A 4k card might be 3k next year it might be 5k… I mean it could be worth nothing who knows

If you have the money and you really want a card buy it whilst you have the chance.

Theres people who held of buying a black lotus in magic for a 10th of the price it is now theres also people who spent a ton on Harry Potter trading cards thinking it would be worth thousands.

Every purchase is a risk if your thinking investment wise so my advice just buy what you like for the price your happy to pay for it and you’ll never have to worry

2 Likes

Of course. But the discussion was in the context of the recent and current changes happening in the economy. We were talking about this snapshot in time affecting the market now, not the long term effects of years to come when the market has a different context.
This is the Price and Market discussion forum.

1 Like

People don’t really like predicting card price trends much on here. Its a 1st ed charizard, about as safe as you can be in this hobby. I dont think you need to do much more than aim for around what pokemonprice.com is suggesting and if you are gonna buy for more than that just make sure it isnt anything outlandish

1 Like