Recession Discussion

I get that I’m not trying to shut the debate down I was just offering alternative view.
As at this time no one knows what’s going to happen as it’s never really happened.

Yes we have had a recession and yes we have had a virus but this ones unique in terms of the global panic and the measurments governments are taking to combat its affects economically.

I was purely suggesting in a time when no one knows which way prices will fluctuate as there is a solid argument for both its best just to go with the good ole buy what you like for the price your happy to pay for it advice.

I’m just taking into account those people who look to these threads for advice for current purchase and I provided a middle ground to the ongoing debate up above.

Either way it’s a interesting situation we all find ourselves in.

Alright. We dont have to talk about it if it scares the children that much.
Your browser does not support video embedding. Please update your browser.

As I said not shutting the debate down :joy: feel free to carry on just make sure you wash your hands after every reply.

What people always miss with recessions is there will always be individuals with assets looking for opportunity. Its partly what rebounds recessions. During the housing crash, Lehman Brothers reached out to Warren Buffet to buy their company. A company that had 19.3 Billion revenue in 2007. Meanwhile in pokemon, people struggle to understand this happens all the time, at a much lower cost, regardless of the overall market trend.

For example, DAcardworld spent 39 million last year on collection purchases alone. They aren’t going to suddenly not buy in a recession, they will just adjust their strategy. Will prices drop on certain cards, sure. That happens even when there isn’t a recession. Opportunity is always in motion.

tl;dr price is what you pay, value is what you get. Recessions simply provide more options for anyone willing to risk their capital.

6 Likes

prices will drop but only to the depth of the most shallow shark. For those of you wanting get rich off pokemon, be ready but be cautious. For those of you who are in it to collect, stay the course.

Who in the world would take Pokémon cards into a pawn shop??? Oh wait. Never mind…

11 Likes

A word of advice - coming here to say that card prices will fall is similar to going to a crypto board and saying crypto is not the future or going to a place of worship and saying God isn’t real. Your points can make sense but you’re going to encounter a lot of resistance

Just make your point which a minority here will still appreciate the insight and don’t get to caught up with it. A few people will agree, many won’t. Some that disagree will make good points too and we gain insight into the upside.

Thankfully, those that make more money typically don’t just follow crowd consensus

7 Likes

Time to update the graph. Please remember this is my opinion only not some magical one size fits all pokemon graph.

12 Likes

People who have been around a few years: “the entire market is in a bubble”

Collectors who have been around a decade: “ok”

4 Likes

You mean the past decade from 2010-2020… the biggest bull run in history? See what collectors say after this next couple years.

2 Likes

I don’t really fear for the life of pokemon, personally I am 25 years old and getting into this again seriously. About half the people I talk to are around my age and very enthused with the hobby. New collectors are becoming serious collectors, kids are becoming pokemon fans, and the poke-veterans are becoming untouchable!

1 Like

^ Perfect example. Pokemon didn’t follow “the largest bull run” at all. Prices sat during most of that run. Markets aren’t binary, especially niche markets like collectibles.

The largest general factor for growth in Pokemon is increased age = increased discretionary income.

9 Likes

I’m convinced were in a recession right now and honestly it’s scary. About half my friends are already out of work with their jobs being closed. People are over buying food leaving shelves empty. And all the toilet paper they can fit in their house. Eventually im sure abunch of people will sell a lot of their collection or at least good chunks just to have extra money to get by. In the long run card prices will be fine but there will definitely be some people doing fire sales just to unload fast. But overall it should get back to normal. I’m just ready for life to continue as normal again. It’s scary to think how many people are struggling right now. People might lose their homes or apartments. Cars etc from missing payments. I’ve always been very well prepared in the past but this somewhat blind sided me. I’m busy trying to recover but it’s like swimming against the current right now sense so many people are broke so it slows down new money coming in. Tough times good luck to all. At this point cards are the least of people’s worries. I almost regret some of my purchases now but at the same time they were harder to find cards I picked up over the past few months. I just didn’t know I was buying right before a huge recession was about to start. It’s like the great depression right now and this just started a month or less ago :frowning:

everyone notice some of the bigger pokemon sellers starting to move their inventory. check out auctions on eBay.

Which sellers are you referring to?

1 Like

It’s premature to tag what’s going on as a Great Recession. I think the great depression lasted 4 years. This current thing is just a blink of an eye.
Within a couple months we’ll be talking about Detective Pikachu 2.

4 Likes

You can always look at old pokegym posts between 2008-2010 on what happened back then.

Albiet much smaller market then so liquidity was a lot lower.

I got an email recently from a large auction house stating that due to the virus and the fact everybody is now indoors their custom has gone up 10-15% and they also had some record sales

So what specifically happened then?

1 Like