Pokemon Card Front MTG Back

I recently ran across these cards in a MTG misprint group.

imgur.com/a/6O0s2

Now I’m aware of the German, and maybe French, cards printed with Base Set Pokemon on the front and MTG backs but there’s quite a large discussion going on about the validity of the cards in the images above.

I’m 99% sure they’re fake, with what I know about Pokemon cards, MTG cards, and Blastoises in general, but if anyone can give any more info or insight suggesting otherwise that would be great.

Absolutely fake. Text is off, picture border is off, info is off, missing resistance column, states “escape” instead of retreat.

There is just so much wrong with this, it’s not even close to possible.

5 Likes

Looks like they used Comic Sans for the font.

2 Likes

Awful fakes. :grin:

Just the fact that this artwork was never released in English says it all.

1 Like

The guy who posted it on facebook (on a pretty well known MTG misprints and oddities group) said he got it from a WOTC ex employee along with some (supposedly genuine) mtg error and stuff.
It looks fake to me, but even respectable mtg high end collectors (one of them even had an actual german mtg backed weedle) defended its authenticity.

My great grandfather is an ex WOTC employee as well was the assistant to the general manager for managing the general assistants. He also owns tons of high end cards, super respected etc. I showed him these cards and he remembers vividly that these were in fact printed around 1993/4. The dates are not solid as he is around 120 now but he has tons of insane cards so I believe him

7 Likes

Missing the prerelease stamp then. Must be fakes.

He may be a respected MTG collector, but that doesnt mean he knows a thing about pokemon :wink: its a clear fake for anyone even remotely familiar with pokemon cards

2 Likes

Feel free to share a link to that Facebook page and I’ll happily educate anyone. :wink:

Not to have a go at cheesypoof but I honestly thought that this thread was a joke when I saw it. This is one of the fakest cards I have ever seen in my life, the fact that ‘high end’ MTG collectors are supposedly defending it’s authenticity should be a blemish on their reputation.

1 Like

I’ve had a quick look on Facebook, only found one page that is visible;

Magic: the Gathering Misprints and Oddities

Scrolled through a bunch of posts and couldn’t find anything related. I assume I have the wrong page.

The original fb post was removed some hours ago, other posts by the original guy are active tho.
Do not misunderstand me,I wasn’t trying to play the devil’s advocate, I immediately took them as a fake when my friends linked me the post. I even said in the post that those blastoise look nothing like actual cards or any test card we actually have in pokemon, but there was a bashing of people who called those fake. Everything looks just made up to look like some kind of strage prototype/error. The comkcs sans font was the cherry on the cake. I was just trying to give you a wider context.

It’s cool man, it is very perplexing to me that someone could call themselves a ‘high end’ collector in any sort of hobby and defend something almost insultingly fake, like there has been no attempt to make the card look real at all.

I guess it’s the “over the top” factor that threw people off. Really high offers were already in the air.
My opinion is that someone deliberately has made them to fool the mtg community, I don’t think it’s even an old school fake. I have a really wide fake collection and I’ve never seen something exactly like that.

1 Like

Its like someone googled “pokemon error cards” and tried to roll them all into a single card. The uber-rare Square cut, non-holo, no symbol, gold border, MTG back Blastoise!

5 Likes

Anyway there actually IS an expansion symbol: you can see it next to the HP, it’s the original Pikachu Records logo, another giveaway of it being totally made up

1 Like

Hi

I’m the owner of Magiclibrarities, I created a post about those. As I mentioned this website, I share:
forum.magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9938&p=88742#p88742

@zedip the discussion regarding the legitimacy of this card is over, it is 100% fake so nothing else needs to be looked into on your end. Sorry to disappoint.

1 Like