PichuFan's Shared Artwork Binder Collection (379/675 cards!)

Alternatively titled: Today PichuFan learned how to scan his binder pages!

What is this set?
This is a collection of any numbered† English Pokémon card whose artwork features any Pokémon which isn’t the main subject of the card. That is to say, a Chikorita card featuring a Pikachu in its artwork is not a Pikachu card; likewise the Clefairy Doll card in slot 1 on page 1 of this collection is not a Clefairy card, but features (something akin to) a Clefairy. I’ve dubbed this “Shared Artwork”. Hopefully that makes some sense.

What bother with this set?
Almost†† every set ever released has featured cards with shared artwork, from Base Set all the way through to the currently released set, Sun & Moon Lost Thunder. This primarily gives me something to be excited about with each new release, but also lets me really appreciate the artwork behind every single card.

How many cards are in this set?
I’ve so far identified over 600 cards, not including reverse holofoils. That’s 67 binder pages so far, and I’ve not even finished researching the late 2017 and 2018 cards. It’s worth nothing that a lot of these cards have duplicated artwork, such as the Pokédex card from Base Set 2 being a clone of the Pokédex Card from Base Set… don’t get me started on cards featuring the word ‘Switch’ or titled ‘Warp Point’…

If cards exist as ‘1st Edition’ I’ll not bother collecting their unlimited counterparts. Likewise I’m not distinguishing between small details like grey stamp 1st editions and whatnot. For World Championship cards I’m only aiming to collect one of each type, meaning I’m not looking for all stamped versions of a card like ‘TOP SIXTEEN’, ‘SEMIFINALIST’ and whatnot, I’m only going to get one of them - this is purely to keep costs down a bit!

Finally, I’ve not bothered with ‘Fossil’ cards. I… don’t really have an excuse for that, I just didn’t really consider them until after filling in a lot of the binder.

How do you know which cards to collect?
I’ve painstakingly trawled through every single English card every released†††. I’ve currently gone through all cards released from 1999 all the way to mid-2017 - I still need to finish researching the current sets, but this is an ongoing effort anyway; I’m certainly in no rush right now to get all the newest cards as I’ve got a whole shedload of gaps to fill in.

To those interested, I’ve been slowly putting together a research document, including pictures, over on my GitHub page at github.com/PokeTCG/research/blob/master/SharedArtwork.md. Please note though that this is heavily incomplete - I’m working on it!

How many cards do you have so far?
I’m currently on to 267, but I’m missing a whole load of really inexpensive ones (~$0.31 each on Troll and Toad) - I’ll treat myself to a whole load of those in the new year.

Footnotes
† To collect unnumbered cards would involve obtaining 4 of the incredibly rare English VS cards, along with one of each English trophy card ever released, a feat which is practically and, in my situation, financially impossible.
†† Nobody likes Jungle anyway.
††† Which I’m aware of. I’m sure I’ve missed a few along the way, please do let me know if you spot anything amiss!

With that out of the way, I’ll say that I’m only planning on sharing complete binder pages. As time progresses I’m sure some of these binder pages will invalidate themselves as missed entries are added, but I’m hoping that won’t happen all that often. I will update this thread whenever I complete a new binder page, although some of them will take a lot longer than others to complete (as some very pricey cards are included in this collection, which I currently am not in a position to afford).

Let’s get started…

Page 1
1999-2000; featuring Base Set, Fossil and Base Set 2.

Page 2
2000; featuring Base Set 2 and Team Rocket.
The first holofoil card appears on this page.

Page 3
2000; featuring Team Rocket and Gym Heroes.

Page 4
2000; featuring Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge.
This page introduces the first regular Pokémon cards. Can you spot the other Pokémon in the Gastly card? :blush:

Page 7
2000-2001; featuring Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery and Southern Islands.
Of the 18 card set, 2 of the Southern Island cards are missing from this collection.

Page 8
2001; featuring Southern Islands.

Page 9
2001; featuring Southern Islands and Neo Revelation.
The Neo Revelation cards are copyright 2000, despite being released in September 2001.

Page 12
2002; featuring WotC Black Star and Expedition Base Set.

Page 13
2002-2003; featuring Expedition Base Set and Aquapolis.

Hope you enjoyed this. Will probably not be posting any updates until after Christmas unless I finish off the remaining 2017-present cards I haven’t investigated yet and find I already have a load of those. I’ve currently kept hold of 9 of the new Lost Thunder cards which will go into this set at some point. No idea how many others I’m missing yet!

8 Likes

Before anyone asks why Pokédex is in there: the Dugtrio entry is open on the screen. I’m sure you were all already aware of that though, right?

:grin:

Also I’m a bit worried that now I’ve shared this one of you will be all like “OMG you missed this card from Base Set”, and then I’ll cry whilst rearranging all of the cards I’ve already put in the two(!) binders this collection spans. Please be gentle!

2 Likes

This collection is a very interesting concept! I was just made aware of the recent “The Scream” promos that were released in Japan, so that would be a great addition.

www.polygon.com/2018/10/15/17979068/pokemon-trading-card-promo-the-scream-painting

I am a big fan of this idea, so good luck!

1 Like

I also love this concept for a collection. Thank you for sharing the pages and write ups. It was really fun to look through!

1 Like

Pages 5, 6, 10, and 11 are missing. But good news, I haven’t seen any cards you’re missing (except for some that most likely are on these missing pages, like Brock’s Protection or Erika’s Kindness from Gym Challenge). Nice collection! I will check to see if any are missing every time you’ll post new pages. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Awesome idea! How come clefairy doll is in here?
Also doesn’t the hitmonchan from aquapolis have someone in the back. I loved the tyrogue, hitmontop, and hitmonchan relationship in that set (+ the tyrogue from the Japanese McDonald’s promo)

Edit: Just checked, no one is in the back of hitmonchan :sob: but that means you didn’t miss it :grin:

1 Like

I can tell you that:

• From page 5, I still need the 1st edition Blaine’s Quiz #3 from Gym Challenge.
  • From page 6, I need both 1st edition Heracross and Focus Band from Neo Genesis.
  • From page 10, I sent my WotC Black Star Pokémon Center card off to be graded by PSA, otherwise I have that page complete.
  • From page 11… I don’t think I’m going to be getting the sample set Chansey from Expedition any time soon, sadly.

There are some pages which I’m not likely to complete any time soon (if ever!). Page 11 above is one of those. Another one is Page 21 which features the Nintendo Black Star Championship Arena card from 2005 (eek!).

I’m fairly confident I am aware of all English cards at this point as there hadn’t been many so many sets released yet. I’m really not at all confident I’ve included everything from when Nintendo took over.

Hopefully I’ll be able to share page 5 and 6 soon.
I guess there’s no harm in me sharing pages 10 and 11 now:

Page 10
2001-2002; featuring Neo Revelation, WotC Black Star and Neo Destiny.
The Light Jolteon here is one of my favourites.

Here is the Lucky Stadium #41 from my Pichu Collection thread:

Page 11
2002; featuring Neo Destiny, Legendary Collection and (one day, hopefully) Expedition Sample Set.

I would love to have those WotC Black Star cards in the binder, but they’re so expensive so I’m not sure if I’ll bother tracking down a second copy of each. Ludkins estimated my Pokémon Center #40 to be a 9, so perhaps I’ll break it out of the plastic and stick it back in the binder if and when I get my hands on a PSA 10 copy.

Thanks for the comments, glad you’re all enjoying it.

:grin:

I had debated whether or not to add it, but as it isn’t an actual Clefairy card and is instead just a doll which happens to be in the shape of a Clefairy I figured it could go in.

1 Like

Pages 5 and 6 are now complete!

Page 5
2000; featuring Gym Challenge.

Page 6
2000; featuring Gym Challenge and Neo Genesis.
Heracross is the first holofoil Pokémon card in the collection.

1 Like

If you want i can help out with exp.Base/aquapolis/skyridge- pretty sure there are more cards with shared artwork in those sets; how about the supporter “fisherman” or the background shadow of Ho-oH in some pokemoncard artworks (off the top of my head)

1 Like

Awesome concept to collect!

1 Like

It’ll probably be a while before I complete the Skyridge set for this, however this is the full list I have of cards with shared artwork from those 3 sets:

Expedition Base Set
72/165 Chansey
118/165 Magikarp
134/165 Totodile
138/165 Copycat
145/165 Pokémon Nurse
146/165 Pokémon Reversal
148/165 Pofessor Elm’s Training Method
151/165 Super Scoop Up
152/165 Warp Point
155/165 Moo-Moo Milk
157/165 Switch

Aquapolis
33/147 Slowbro
63/147 Tyrogue
82/147 Hitmontop
84/147 Horsea
120/147 Energy Switch
123/147 Forest Guardian
130/147 Pokémon Fan Club
131/147 Pokémon Park
135/147 Time Shard
136/147 Town Volunteers
141/147 Weakness Guard

Skyridge
H9/144 Gengar
H19/144 Magneton
H24/144 Poliwrath
10/144 Gengar
20/144 Magneton
26/144 Poliwrath
51/144 Ditto
54/144 Eevee
60/144 Golbat
77/144 Mantine
81/144 Nidoran :female_sign:
97/144 Skarmory
104/144 Staryu
112/144 Venonat
116/144 Yanma
119/144 Ancient Ruins
120/144 Relic Hunter
121/144 Apricorn Maker
125/144 Fisherman
138/144 Oracle
140/144 Underground Expedition

I don’t have any new updates to this thread, and likely won’t for some time as I’m in the process of moving house! I have started sharing some images of my favourite cards in this collection on a new Instagram account I’ve started, @shared.artwork. This is separate to my Pichu collection’s Instagram page.

Below are some of the cards images I’ve uploaded so far:

https://instagram.com/p/BvM90tOHGV3

https://instagram.com/p/BvM4e6Gnefh

https://instagram.com/p/BvWm5bwJb-8

https://instagram.com/p/BvMa5XfBebL

I’m planning on periodically updating this page in bursts and feeding back here every now and then, so watch this space.

As an update, I’m now on 379 of 675 cards I’ve identified. For reference, I’m only collecting numbered English cards, meaning cards like Swolepoke’s recent Pokémon Art Academy Primal Kyogre, which has no number, aren’t going to make an appearance here any time soon. To collect unnumbered cards would involve having to track down the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and (in some cases) 4th place winner cards from each year since 2004 along with some of the English VS cards, and my wallet doesn’t like the idea of that one bit!

1 Like

I really enjoyed your collection, @pichufan! I completed my WOTC collection a while back, but I love the posts that really analyze the artwork and point things out that I never noticed before. The shadow of the Slowbro in the Sabrina’s Ghastly card is a perfect example. These pictures also had my super zooming in on my computer to figure out where/what Pokemon was in the background at times. Thanks for sharing and good luck completing your collection!