Pastor Preaches Against Anime & Waifus

8 Likes
9 Likes

He lost all credibility when he said Full Metal Alchemist was a “Level 5 anime”

4 Likes

He makes some OK points, but I can say as a fairly regular Church attending Christian that there are far worse things you can watch or experience than your average anime. Things people watch even on Netflix can be worse in my view. Obviously there’s some over the top anime too, but a lot of it is nothing that serious to me.

Like anything all things should be enjoyed in moderation if possible. Obviously if anime or anything else is harming your personal life negatively then it may make sense to take a break from it or consume less of it. I didn’t watch the whole video so maybe that’s all he was getting at.

4 Likes

me seeing religion on the forum:

Big Trouble If I Speak GIF - Big Trouble If I Speak If I Speak I Am In Big Trouble - Discover & Share GIFs

23 Likes

LincolnInternet

1 Like

My hypothesis is this guy has some anime demons he is struggling with. Also he isn’t fooling anyone listing off a bunch of 90s shows. I’ll put money down he watches hentai for sure

7 Likes

He definitely just regrets missing the Waifu boom and wants to temporarily drive down prices to be able to buy in.

15 Likes

I grew up in a church that demonized Pokemon. Because WOTC created MTG (like an occult gateway drug), Pokemon was part of the “satanic pipeline”.

3 Likes

This is probably a ploy by the pastor to get the boys to stop bringing their cards to church to trade during sermons. He’s half a step away from a full ban.

Maybe, but our parents were encouraged to enforce a zero-tolerance policy for Pokemon at home as well, not just in services. I think my pastor legitimately thought that Pokemon was poisoning young minds.

When a person sees demons everywhere, it really calls into question what demons they are struggling with themselves. Is it something specific? Is it just fear in general that they want to remove from their ego? Sort of like a self-affirmation. Like Coop said, naming all those 90s anime, when there are plenty recent ones (which are far more valid as they… you know… recent) suggests something personal in his past, not some systemic or contemporary problem.

2 Likes

Only Sith deals in absolute.

1 Like

bro is 100% playing the most depraved VNs every night.

3 Likes

All of this reminds me something …
Here in Latin America there was a Pastor called “Josué Yrion” (Don’t know if you’ve heard about him). Back in the 90s, the dude preached against popular culture (Disney, Videogames, Cartoons, etc) and Japanese Culture (Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon (Including TCG))

About Pokémon TCG he said things like “Pikachu is the god of reincarnation” or “When a child have 150 cards, it means that he/she was able to kill a person”

But at least, “Soy tan sutil” was able to make a really good song based on all of this … At least here in Latin America, this specific remix is really well-known.

4 Likes

Thread title gives off a heavy Official Pokémon Forums vibe

2 Likes

Ironically, Lucas himself started to lean toward a message of the grey with his original concept for the 3rd trilogy. The Jedi were pretty absolutist about the dark side too…

2 Likes

Its a tragedy Lucas’ vision for a sequel trilogy will never come to fruition.

2 Likes

I’ve also just watched this… finally decided to just get it over with…
edit: First, I’ll give him a point, in that pop culture - anime, books, celebrities, religion even - can become an idol that we seek to actually attain in life. That’s not healthy, because it’s not real. I’ll give him that. But…

He starts with,

“Look Young people, if you don’t want the world to despise you for being young, grow up…”

To which the sensical response should be (I’m neither young nor old at this point in my life)

“Why should I grow up when ‘old’ people are still immature hypocrites?”

That’ll win the youth to your side. :roll_eyes: Gotta love how self-contradiction is so lost on the self-righteous.

After playing swtor and doing Light Side Choices on a sith warrior i had a great laugh at all the Jedi you encounter confused with a reasonable sith.

2 Likes