YouTube 'hype' Channels/Videos

First UnlistedLeaf… Now DavidParody. Who is next? Make way for the price inflation of fanboys and the kids drawn to the clickbait

• Video that got me thinking. It isn’t even 1st Edition :slightly_frowning_face:

In all seriousness… surely this won’t have a positive impact on the hobby? Unnatural flow etc. Sure it may bring some serious people into the hobby but I can’t imagine it would be more than a couple.

I personally think it’s always good to have young and fresh blood entering the hobby. It creates a more dynamic market which is more exciting. Sudden unnatural increases in prices can be beneficial to sellers and shouldn’t affect you if you’re patient and wait for the hype to pass.

The worst thing to happen to the hobby is to not garner any interest from a younger crowd and to have the same bunch of old and dying guys buy cards off each other like you tend to see in baseball.

4 Likes

Why is there 6 billion jump cuts?

I reckon if YouTube was around back in 99 early 2000s with the same amount of audience you’d see this kind of stuff uploaded. Its natural when something picks up in popularity that this type of stuff happens.

2 Likes

It’s the “cool” thing to do. Surely you’d understand.

Oh man…that’s one of the most profound things i’ve read on this forum when you put it like that! Lol. :grin:

Agree that it’s only good for the hobby to have the younger crowd hyping up the TCG in whatever fashion they choose…as long as nothing is being done out of malice, it can only be good for everyone and good for the market in the long run. Pokemon is where it’s at currently in terms of popularity as a brand today because of that synergy between new fans/collectors and the old crowd, so we need to keep this cycle going to maintain the health of the hobby.

These channels are not young people entering the hobby. These channels are kids born in late 90’s, who dropped out of school without a degree, that have YouTube channels generating 2-10k US$ a month and spending this on crazy items just to generate more channel revenue. Someone who cared for the hobby would not open a box like this just for sake of views. The thing UnlistedLeaf this with the BattleFesta Pikachu was terrible and only good for his own wallet.

2 Likes

These YouTubers should at least have their facts straight. Don’t say anything if you aren’t sure about it. The amount of wrong information they put around is insane. Sometimes I feel bad because I feel like these people’s passion for Pokemon is not completely genuine and they overhype everything, and open stuff just for the sake of opening and showing off.

There are good Poketubers around too though who do openings. I like SuperDuperDani a lot for example. I’ve never heard her saying something stupid like UnlistedLeaf says in every single video and she is quite hilarious too, I recommend to check her out.

But in general I like more serious collecting channels like @smpratte @pokemonmaster556 and @cljdavis have for example, always good content, always professional, spot on :blush:

8 Likes

Maybe I’m just old but I find these fake over exaggerated reactions just cringe and not funny at all. Watching UnlistedLeaf lose his mind over the $2 ‘secret rares’ I just don’t understand, I know his audience are kids but surely even they know those cards don’t warrant that kind of reaction.

If it gets new people psyched and interested in the hobby that’s great but the videos just aren’t for me.

10 Likes

That’s one thing that really grinds my gears, when they talk like they know what they’re actually talking about but they really have no idea. It sucks because they’re giving sometimes millions of people the wrong information.

1 Like

My point exactly. I didn’t mean that the interest that may be generated in the hobby was bad. All publicity is good, it’s just when things are said that are untrue it just makes the hobby look bad and creates an unstable environment for it really because the kids and those who are unfamiliar with the hobby will eat up whatever these people say and take them for experts or whatever rubbish they might believe.

Then you have people who actually have some idea what they’re talking about and can provide insightful discussion while still keeping their videos entertaining and avoid that exaggerated and cringe overreaction that you see in videos like these. Obviously opinions on the videos are subjective but the information provided in the videos isn’t.

1 Like

rule of thumb - if they’re a really popular Youtuber they’re likely to be a completely annoying twat.

ps on the other hand I really recommend user:mkpokecc’s channel - it’s really good :blush:

4 Likes

I can’t stand these channels haha, they just seem so cringy and how the f does this guy have 3.5 million subscribers?

I really enjoy Scotts and other forum user channels which are a lot more relaxed and informative. It is how I am trying to make my own channel like.

I’m taking about the audience members, not the YouTubers themselves.

Content is shit on these types of channels… maybe it’s just the age demographic… but this stuff usually appeals to younger audiences… which drives up views the most. As they are the ones accessing this free entertainment always.

Also, can’t expect them to be experts and know everything… it’s forgivable (hmmm maybe not… when they exaggerate prices, but when they say wrong pokemon and stuff)… and if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. it doesn’t appeal to me, so i tune out. But there is alot who love this style of work / entertainment.

I can definitely assume, that Gary’s gen will not be clicking up these vids, nor those in the 30’s + it’s predominantly, early 20s and younger.

i guess this shit style is what works on youtube… and appeals to people… loud noise loud noise, fast cuts, intro’s, shit sfx, more loud noise, be random… instill reaction to audience… more fast cuts, loud noises, exaggerated reactions, shit sfx… that’s all i am seeing…

1 Like

I would say even early 20s is way too old…I always thought these kind of channels were for early high schoolers / pre teens. Maybe I’m just biased because it’s not the type of content I like but I can’t think of anyone I know my age that falls for those vids besides maybe some who watch LoL / Overwatch stuff.

I find it more funny that people think only childeren watch this stuff. Maybe it’s because you’re in your own circle of friends and generally people only hang out with like minded individuals. But I’m telling you from experience, there’s no shortage of immature adults who eat this crap up.

3 Likes

I don’t really hate these guys, its kind of shady and their intentions vary from moderately well-intentioned to straight up manipulative, but what really irks me is that they just don’t have the respect for the hobby in general or the knowledge or insight to make it interesting for viewers beyond the ‘hype crew’ that just wanna see those ‘sick pulls’.

A lot of you guys have some great channels; but a lot of them are criminally underrated, which I guess leads to less positive exposure for the more mainstream/casual fans who are taken in by the hype and miss the valid content.

It’s because he’s entertaining.

You can not like someone but still be honest about his success, people here always complain about these type of YouTubers but they’re popular for a reason, learn how they do what they do and you can use that to your advantage.

For as informative as smpratte’s content is on his channel his videos are really low energy compared to most other Pokemon personalities. The audio isn’t that good, they’re not visually engaging, the lighting is dim and he keeps the same vocal tone for a full 10 minutes. I don’t really care about all this, I like his videos as they are but presentation is important and it brings people in.

If we draw a comparison to MtG, Alpha Investments has done so well notbecause his content is informative but because he’s energetic and makes every other MtG YouTuber look like a grandma. I don’t think Scott should try and mimic him though because that’s just not him

When I watch Unlistedleaf or even a maxmoefoe I’m much more engaged than when I watch Scott’s content. That doesn’t mean that I’m not paying attention but rather there’s always something to focus on. Scott’s Worlds video with the 2 other guys was the most animated I’d ever seen him and regardless of the subject matter it was one of his best.

He’s also appealing to a tiny niche (Pokemon collectors) rather than throwing out clickbait for the lowest common denominator.

Scott just needs to make some Top 10 Most Expensive Pokemon Card videos and he’ll get 100,000 subs over night. 99% of people don’t care if the info is right or wrong.

1 Like

Caterpie psa 12 current value 2147m