Unlistedleaf good or bad for long term community?

Hello Everyone,

I know many people (including myself) find channels like unlistedleaf annoying with their misinformation, and constant overexcitement. Despite this, do you think these channels are good long term for spreading the hobby?

I believe it is a double edged sword, but I am interested to hear what you all think

I believe it’s good, all advertising is good advertising even with slight misinformation. His latest video where he doesn’t notice that’s specific Japanese Charizard was a no rarity zard surprised me. He is very hit and miss with his videos, but he does spend a lot of money for his YouTube channel. It seems his heart is no longer into it anymore, which is completely understandable for being a 23 years old.

Cancer.

4 Likes

I used to be more of a snob and talked these channels down.
I’ve changed my mind. Not speaking to any specific site, If there is a level of Pokemon enthusiasts who enjoy them, and find them entertaining, then they can be beneficial.

I think P.T. Barnum said, “There’s no such thing as bad publicity” then “It’s when they stop talking about you that you’re in trouble” was added to it.
I believe the Irishman Brendan Behan added, “Except in your obituary” lol.

6 Likes

I don’t think they’re good or bad. Pokemon is a monster and everything else is insignificant

2 Likes

This. Pokemon is larger than any individual. Unlistedleaf is the largest pokemon card channel, and most people who like pokemon don’t know who he is.

2 Likes

It’s all good. Magic has turned political and unfun for quite a number of fans over there. Anything fun and light, even if cringe worthy at times, is positive. Keep PokĂ©mon light and carefree.

2 Likes

I only watched like 2 videos from him, but I think guys like him an Leonhart are good for the TCG in general, as they provide content for the younger audience. They are unrelated to the “hardcore” collectors.

Fun story: I once bought a german 1.Edition Charizard from Unlistedleaf on ebay, but I had no idea who he was. I later on found out he has more than 1 mio subs on youtube :blush: he pulled the Glurak in this video: PULLING A *1ST EDITION* BASE SET CHARIZARD - YouTube

2 Likes

After watching the juniors this year, with a few other individuals
 I don’t think that unlistedleaf has the capacity to destroy the community. Just watching the two of them come on stage, with giant plushies and their feet not even capable of hitting the floor was hilarious and enlightening. It showed me anyways that the world of pokemon is simply multifaceted and grand. I never thought in a million years there would be old couples, young kids, families all enjoying the game and hobby so much. TCG numbers were a record high this year with the TCG open filling up in 90 seconds. That’s INSANE. I agree with Gary, no publicity is bad publicity, and as long as there are people who enjoy his videos, I don’t think we are allowed to comment on them. (However, I will say can someone apply to be the content researcher for him - spreading unfact-checked opinions is bad!)

4 Likes

He encourages and supports fake Pokémon cards.

That is bad.

2 Likes

Long term it is hard to say. There are Pros and Cons, it definitely brings more people into the hobby, which is a net positive, but some of these channels can be quite bad for faux hype which can drive up prices unjustly and spread misinformation; of course that isn’t a huge issue because when fans become more serious collectors there will always be informed people to set them straight and help them learn. I second what @teraz said also, fake cards are bad and they’d be much better off promoting actual custom cards that deviate far away enough from their legitimate counter part so assumed legitimacy wouldn’t be such an issue.

One thing I’ll say though, my MTG friends have shown me the insidious side of Magic Youtube and it ain’t pretty, incendiary and overtly political, if Poke-Youtube can avoid all of that as it becomes more established then its def a net positive for the casual audience.

It’s for the kids.

2 Likes

Holy shit, you’re kidding me right? They’ve brought politics into trading cards now. How?

Yes, I have run into those channels but I am to old for that garbage, I’d rather watch boring old Gary/Scott just kidding, they are entertaining to us adults lol. I think I need a nap. :grin:

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself but
boring? Yes! Old? No!

2 Likes

I find him somewhat enjoyable and he uploads nearly daily. Hes wrong on almost everything but i dont really care. Its pretty funny when he so obviously wants to swear but has to bite his tongue and says something totally absurd instead. I quite like pokesoup as an alternative. Leonhearts over acting is a bit much for me but i respect him for what he does.

Unlisted Leaf is super annoying. If you’ve ever seen his videos, you will notice that he does not stop to breath or think in-between talking. The whole video is like one giant run on sentence that doesn’t stop.

That said, I do watch his videos on occasion :blush: Watching pack opening videos late at night is good background video for relaxing before bed.

Watching a lot of the stupid hype channels actually helped me get back into the hobby. Would never have seen an smpratte video if it weren’t for all the algorithms that knew I watched other Pokemon channels.

My #1 favorite Pokemon channel that is completely absurd: MAXMOEFOEPOKEMON (MASSIVE LEGEND)

5 Likes

I’d say good for the most part. He actually makes things a bit entertaining. While the fake card aspect is bad, there is a lot of good that he has done. He doesn’t really come off as if he claims to be an expert to me, he just throws out random prices on cards he pulls to make them seem much more valuable than they are
 if you want real info, I’d suggest watching smpratte :blush:

I pulled that same Glurak chappo mentioned a month before he did on my channel, thought I’d be the only person for a long time to actually pull that card lol.

There’s a lot of drama there, basically wotc and it’s community managers/employees push a social agenda and if you don’t agree you’re alienated by the community, it feels like there’s a divide happening between SJWs and non SJWs. People feel wotc over reach a lot like banning people from the card game for being in facebook chats & groups, tweeting opinions, revoking stores wpn status etc. They’ve also created gender neutral lore characters that identify as ‘who’, a lot of people just want them to back off and focus on the game. If you google wotc politics or sjws you’ll find heaps of information, there’s a lot of opinions out there.

The community online is generally extremely toxic, I don’t participate at all, I much prefer to be a part of the pokemon community even though I’m far more ‘invested’ in magic.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s unreal.