YouTube 'hype' Channels/Videos

I personally hate the misinformation these channels spread, especially when they know they can actually reach people in the hobbie that can confirm or deny whatever Top #5 claim they are making. I also cannot tolerate seeing kids sending them all these cards, toys, and other types of presents. I feel like you see who sends it for being mentioned and then you see when is a kid who doesn’t have enough resources to receive the awesome shout out. My personal joke is… we have these guys, which sensationalize everything, they are the equivalents of Fox News… and then, we have @smpratte be the NPR. Plain info, no screaming, no farting out funfetti, just informative.

4 Likes

when your channel is making things for the lowest common denominator it’s kind of implied there will be some. either way it is most likely that it is mostly dominated by children demographically, as they are one of the biggest influences on the youtube algorithm

Japanese news is fun, entertaining and strictly fact and statistical based. There is a way to have both. No one seems to have figured it out yet…

1 Like

Do you have evidence that youbute’s algorithm is influenced by the child demographic, or is that just hearsay?

There was an Australian channel I saw the other day that was pretty funny and he genuinely enjoyed the hobby. Most Hype channels like unlistedleaf are ultimately gimmicks. I get cringe cancer trying to watch them, as they are targeted towards a younger audience. Arguing if the viewer base are kids or 20 year old kids is redundant.

It is very difficult to have a serious conversation or actual conversation with quick cuts and yelling. I am friends with a couple larger youtube pokemon channels, but most of their content is unwatchable for me. But that is ok, they aren’t made for me and there is a general good that comes from the channels!

4 Likes

It’s all good Scott, I have the best idea to grow your channel. Just have to a few PSA graded cards, like a Grade 6 Caterpie or something. While the Caterpie burns you somehow relate it the the drop in price in some overrated or underrated card. People will think “This guy is mad, there’s burning plastic right next to him and he is just calmly analyzing the current market.” They’ll sub for more crazy stunts which you have 0 obligation to provide, the viewers will then stay for the informative content that you provide.

1 Like

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eLH_uWnrdY

Is this really the best guy to be giving pricing advice? Literally every single pull “OMG THIS IS LIKE THE RAREST CARD EVER MATES…EASILY A $100 DOLLAR SECRET RARE” when he pulls something as simple as a Marshadow GX. I hate to be “that” guy who takes things to the extreme but I can not stand UnlistedLeaf.

The silver Dialga EX from Phantom Forces is a $200 dollar card and the secret rare Gyarados EX from BREAKpoint is considered a good deal if you get it for $50… my god.

1 Like

I seen that disaster this morning. At first I thought we would actually get some solid info on prices for the kids so they don’t get ripped off.
Instead he’s making sure australian school kids pay 5x a cards actual worth. Astonishingly bizarre.

Ahhh smpratticans I try and tell you… You gotta start bringing some personality into your channel!!

You can do it. Bring some alpha invedtraments cynical whackyness into it. Always I’ll destroy you.

But either way Scott’s direction is still great, but will see what he tries and if he starts editing and tearing some ass up.

I was about to post that crap. Absolutely bizarre. I don’t understand where is he getting those prices from. Also I’m sure there are graded cards mixed in there on his “research”…

Also if I’m not mistaken he actually called a graded card as a "sleeved card":thinking:

:unamused:

1 Like

Any time you can expand your hobby its a good thing.

Sports cards are having a hell of a time appealing to the younger crowd. Ive set up at the monthly hockey card shows for the last 5 or so years and the amount of attendees >16 is very concerning for the hobby.

Pokémon on the other hand sees to be doing a great job keeping the new generations engaged

1 Like

Modern sports are too reliant on the contrived release imo. Pokemon is more in line with vintage sports. Pokemon collecting is more organic/pure or at least less contrived.

I love hockey, wish I could skate every day. But anything post 1991 for me is too obvious of a business ploy to create contrived demand. The goal in modern sports is to get the version of something, rather than the item or singular player having value in itself. Sure people could argue SR/HR variants for pokemon, but a new rookie can have 30 “rookie cards”. A Base charizard is historic, partly because there weren’t 30 different versions. Hell even a base caterpie has more identity than the endless amounts of “rookie” variants in hockey.

I could go on for ages about how lackluster the modern market is for sports. Pokemon and MTG are much more analogous with older sport card releases. The history, rookie card aspect, is all there, plus the excitement of pulling a solid unique card that doesn’t have 20-30 other releases that year.

The loss of set collectors + the rookie card craze / hype has definitely killed / will kill most sports hobbies.