(Part 1) Gen 3/ex Sets Holo Rare Grail Poll

Ex era Holo rares are almost always overshadowed by the gold stars and ex ultra rares. This is simply the result of the introduction of new rarity/chase tiers. It is a shame because the ex sets have some of the greatest Holo rares in the tcg. I’m a big ex Holo collector myself so I am very much interested in what people think is the best Holo.

Holos in the ex era came in 2 main types: regular holos and delta holos. This poll will be part 1 of 2 and focus on the best standard Holo (non delta) card. I also have included a lot more options this time since an argument can be made for many cards.

There is a major change for this poll compared to the others I have held:

• voters can vote for multiple cards, simply due to the amount of candidates. Keep in mind, you should only vote for more than one card if you personally view both as equally iconic. The more cards you vote for, the less impact your vote has on your main choice.
  • In an attempt to keep this list from being too massive, I have decided to exclude theme deck Holo exclusives and box topper holos. Maybe one day we can do a poll for those separately, but as you’ll see there are already too many options

This is, like the other polls, only a poll to determine the best/most iconic ex Holo rare. It is not an attempt to rank all of them so please only vote for the cards that you feel are equally number 1!

• 3 cards had to be removed due to a max of 25 poll options. RIP altaria and Lapras we hardly knew ye

• RS SWAMPERT
  • RS SCEPTILE
  • RS BLAZIKEN
  • SS SABLEYE
  • DR SALAMENCE
  • DR CHARIZARD
  • DR ABSOL
  • DR FLYGON
  • TMTA JIRACHI
  • HL DARK CELEBI
  • FRLG SNORLAX
  • TRR DARK HOUNDOOM
  • TRR DARK SLOWKING
  • TRR DARK STEELIX
  • DX JIRACHI
  • DX GYARADOS
  • EM RAYQUAZA
  • EM KYOGRE
  • EM GROUDON
  • UF FERALIGATR
  • UF MEGANIUM
  • UF TYPHLOSION
  • LM MEW
  • LM GENGAR
  • PK CHARIZARD
0 voters
1 Like

Emerald Rayquaza just goes too hard!

1 Like

While emerald may not shine in the gold star department and the ex department is iffy, it is a set that excels above average for its holos!

A main reason I like it,plus it keeps the stonk beasts away to some degree

4 Likes

WHAT IS THIS ALTARIA ERASURE???

2 Likes

It pained me.

It’s a limitation of our technology, the world is not ready yet for 28 option polls. Honestly there’s probably more cards I could have added too. It’s hard

Understandable. The e-reader regular holo art just goes too hard.

1 Like

It’s unfair when you give Nishida a chance for an ereader rookie card. I’m personally quite biased towards ereaders ex stuff but I love every card shown here so much

1 Like

I didn’t vote for any secret rares, to me they are their own category. Celebi ex is an exception.

Salamence :1st_place_medal:
Gyarados :2nd_place_medal:
Rayquaza :3rd_place_medal:
…and possibly come back to give Sceptile a vote?

1 Like

I love charizard, but that salamance art work is very cool

1 Like

This was really tough to narrow down. So many good fantastic arts.

1 Like

Kizuki’s Jirachi is the greatest Pokemon card of all time, let alone greatest gen 3 holo. I will be utterly devasted if it doesn’t do numbers on this poll.

3 Likes

My votes were for the EX Deoxys Gyarados and EX Dragon and EX Power Keepers Charizard. They are grail level, even if they’re not my favorite.

As a side note, Nishida really made the EX era holo series.

And also, shame on you for not including my favorite Flareon. :smiling_face_with_tear:

7 Likes

I like all those ones too. There was a lot on the chopping block unfortunately

I’m going for EX Ruby & Sapphire Blaziken. From the first set, the final evolution of the most popular starter, and also a very playable card back in the day.

2 Likes

Emerald Rayquaza is amazing. Also how did nobody vote for Team Rocket Returns Dark Steelix / where is Kingdra? Team Rocket Returns and Unseen Forces reverse holos are simply the best. All the EX era stamped reverse holos are good, but those 2 are :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Soooo many stellar options!

When I think Ex era, my mind goes to the early E-Reader releases, so Sceptile and Salamence get joint first place votes. There was also something about the LM Mew at the time, finally having a set focussed around the first mythical, so I gave that a vote too.

May come back and throw Flygon a vote, as it’s probably on par with Salamence at the end of the day.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the playability, but for gen 3 all the starters are very popular. I would not be surprised if blaziken was least popular even. At least in the tcg, the sceptile is T17 caliber and swampert is an arita masterpiece.

I think those 2 species peaked right there but blaziken had some room to grow a little

2 Likes

um excuse me.

5 Likes

i would say as far as grail regular holos go, the Arita Absol deserves it more than the Dragon Absol (even though i like the dragon artwork more). You mentioned some stipulations, so i’m not sure if that card breaks one of those rules. Definitely one of the more sought after regular holos tho. Even just getting a decent raw copy is pretty pricey relative to most regular holos from the era.

i voted for absol because it is my favorite of the options. I’m not sure i could answer which one embodies the era most since i focus on japan for this era and the releases were so different. (unironically i feel like shedinja would be a good candidate tho)

3 Likes

Yeah the arita one in TMTA is the box topper. The list was getting really long unfortunately.

Dragon definitely is overrepresented here, but I suspect a portion of the dragon love comes from e4 generally being WOTC collectors, therefore an eseries Holo may speak to those specific people more than a non ereader holo because it could be reminiscent of skyridge or aquapolis.

This is a guess though, are there any genwunners or WOTC purists that could weigh their opinion on how an early ex compares to a mid ex Holo to them?