Package supposedly delivered to me - Who has to pay up?

I ordered some product from Cardmarket, the seller has provided me with a tracking number. I had put “in front of my door” as the location to put the package, in case I’m not there. (I live in an apartment complex) - The package was supposedly delivered to my preferred location. When I check my front door (about 30-40 minutes later), the package was not there. I asked my neighbours and also visited the local post office. It’s nowhere to be found. The seller has contacted DHL and has asked me to mark their package as “arrived”, so they can get their money, as the tracking number says the package has arrived. I’m fully aware that one of my neighbour’s could’ve stolen the package, which would honestly make it no one’s fault. However, I’m obviously also not keen on giving away 900€ for free, since I haven’t received anything. What is the best procedure to solve this? Should I mark as arrived, or would that be stupid?

This should have been delivered to your front desk. The majority of condo and apartment buildings (at least in North America) do not send postal delivery employees to your unit.

Don’t mark the parcel delivered. I’d also suggest confirming the ‘mail to’ address with the carrier (DHL), as sometimes people will try to pull a fast one over you (e.g. sending a worthless parcel to a nearby address)

1 Like

Call DHL and open a case. Same thing happened to me a few months ago. The employee on my case contacted the driver. The driver visited me to get more info, I showed the delivery picture not being my house. He realized he delivered it to the same house number, but one street over. He got the package from the people at that house and delivered it to me the next day.

This was heavily dependent on seeing the picture the driver snapped of the package on a different porch. Did you get a picture via email? Contact DHL to see if you can get a pic.

5 Likes

Jesus…

I hate DHL, FedEx and UPS with a vengeance. I can’t count the number of times their drivers have left parcels halfway down my driveway, or parcels have arrived dented or damaged. Nearly always better to ship with federal postal services IMO

No picture at all. That’s the first I ever heard of drivers taking pictures, too. For reference, I live in Germany. We also do not have a “front desk”, or anything. It’s literally just a house with multiple apartments.

Would a picture even be proof? They could snap the pic, then just take it with them again, no?

Like mentioned, contact DHL.

If it turns out it was delivered to the right place then I’d mark as arrived and take this as an expensive lesson to never accept door step delivery, especially to apartment complexes or any other form of non-detached homes.

Off topic, but is package theft rampant in countries outside the U.S?

Probably, I think package theft is rampant anywhere people live in densely populated communes.

Personally? I could leave my bicycle unlocked in front of my curbside trash bin, I doubt anyone would touch it for years.
Apartment block I lived in before? The whole thing would be picked apart and on its way to Estonia before you could say robbery.

1 Like

Jesus, okay. Bit of a shocker (as you’re from Norway), but that totally makes sense.

I’ve never had a package stolen here in Tokyo. Couriers will leave them in front of the door, in plain sight and just inches away from the sidewalk, and the packages are left untouched by passersby.

OP: Please do as others suggested and ask the courier to investigate. However, if the package can’t be located, please also accept responsibility and allow the seller to be paid for the merchandise. By specifying that unattended delivery “in front of my door” is acceptable, you assume a risk for which the seller shouldn’t be held responsible.

1 Like

I was going to comment above “with the exception of Japan”. God I miss Japan.

1 Like

It’s not a utopia, of course. Things do get stolen. Umbrellas and bicycles are favorites among thieves.

Oh, and I did have my mailbox stolen once. The entire mailbox. It was empty, though, as the thief took it late at night, after I had collected my mail.

3 Likes

Nah, totally — you’d still do best to lock your bike up, but compared to any other metropolis in the world, Tokyo is a haven.

Now you’ll have to excuse me, I need to go binge Japanese food videos on YouTube

1 Like

If you leave customs unpaid on your DHL orders they will never leave it at the door, as they dont let debts be unpaid. So i know to never pay my import charges unless i know im going to be home and able to watch for the delivery. I have spoken many times to my driver and he gave me a delivery window when i should be outside or looking out the window, I usually set up outside and read a book, or by the window. But if you arent going to be home or able to watch for a delivery or dont want the delivery sitting at your door, just leave the customs unpaid, theyll try to deliver 2 or 3 times, then they will request you pay & pick up at your local station

DHL did the same thing to me about a year ago. Said delivered showed a picture of a apartment with the same number. I called to complain and they delivered while I was on the phone. So not that bad but the experience originally made me freak out. DHL has to be the dumbest delivery service there is