Question: What should I do for package missing?

Hi all,

Had a $400 order that I send first class package (should’ve done “signature required” but didn’t…I will in the future. Not sure if that would’ve done anything though) to an apartment. The person emailed me saying to send to a different address - I emailed him back saying I hadn’t sent it yet, but he’d need to cancel, change his address, and then repurchase. I didn’t realize I had already sent it in that morning’s packages until later.

Package shows delivered in mailbox. I told him I apologize but I sent it to the address on paypal and I guess go to your old apartment and get the package? He goes, and the tenants say they have no package.

He gets angry at me for sending the package which…I guess I should’ve held it and read my emails quicker but I didn’t. But I did send to paypal address and it shows delivered. I suggest going to the police and get them involved and he said basically that “this is New York, police don’t give a shit and nothing will happen.” Ok…then what do I do here? How do I even know he didn’t go there and get the package? And isn’t taking someone else’s package a felony? He doesn’t seem to be mad at all at the people that package was delivered to, just me ha.

What would you do or have you had to deal with something like this? I’ve never sent to an old paypal address. And I’ve sent thousands of packages and never had someone not get a package that says “delivered” so it would be an enormous coincidence that this one didn’t show up.

That’s wild. I can’t say this has ever happened to me before. I don’t really have an answer for you but that the fault is on the buyer.

Hmm, I barely sell, so can’t say I’ve ever experienced something like that.
One question: did the tracking number state where it was delivered, and was it delivered at this old apartment? I sometimes order packages for which the tracking code on my mobile app state delivered, but when I look at the tracking code online where it shows more detail, it states it’s delivered at my local post office, but I still have to pick it up to actually be in my own hands.
So maybe the package is at the post office for this guy as well? Again, I’m just guessing here based on my own experience as a buyer.

In general however, you’re not to blame in any way from what I see. The buyer had his incorrect address on his PayPal. You’ve shipped it to this address with tracking code, and it is marked as delivered. Although it sucks if it actually is lost or stolen/thrown away by the people whom are now living in his apparent, I guess it sucks for the buyer in this case…

Not sure what I would do tbh…
Maybe someone who sells a lot might have a somewhat similar experience or opinion on what to do.

Greetz,
Quuador

If I understand correctly you sent it to the address listed on the paypal shipping invoice? If so you are covered as long as the transaction wasn’t cancelled, since he provided the wrong address. Although you offered to correct it, the onus is on him to provide correct shipping details at the time of purchase, since that address is “legally” binding and not the subsequent. Also, signature tracking is not required on items $750 or less.

4 Likes

[

Thank you. I don’t think I’m to blame either (of course I may have been able to add a signature or check my email quicker) but don’t want an angry customer and certainly don’t want people to steal a package at the old address. Yes it was actually delivered to the old address - it shows “delivered in mailbox” at the location.

If its delivered to the PayPal confirmed address, you’re safe and he cannot open a case against you or he will lose if he does. It’s not your problem that the buyer didn’t use the proper delivery address. You did your part right as a seller.

The issue here is you saying that it is alright to cancel and repurchase the item under a different address thinking that you haven’t sent the package yet but in fact you did.

This is ultimately a personal issue in how you want to solve this. You are not wrong at all 100%, but you did let the buyer know that the issue can be resolved once he repurchase the item under the correct address as you haven’t sent out the package yet.

Personally, I don’t think you should do anything else and maybe apologize for the little mistake you made (we are human after all). You will probably lose this customer due to that but I guess we all live and learn.

I just don’t feel good saying sorry and you’re out $400. I told him if you got the police involved and they could maybe visit the home and ask themselves, then I could look at partial refund. I guess I get his aversion to asking police since it’s a huge hassle but again…it’s a lot of money and that’s partially why you pay taxes. I just wonder if anyone has been in this situation from a seller standpoint.

I understand wanting to keep every customer happy.

I’ve experienced something like this in the sense that the buyer put in a different address than the proper delivery address and the item got delivered and gone missing but not so high a dollar amount as this last year.

I had a buyer on eBay bought something and I do the usual routine of packing and sending the item out. This was when I was in the UK so posting was domestic at the time.

I posted it the next day for a 1-3 day delivery and after a week, the buyer messaged me saying that he/she hadn’t received the item which I find odd because it showed delivered. So i ask the buyer to confirm the delivery address and the postcode was one number wrong. Instead of x98xxx, he/she put it as x99xxx, which was a few streets across.

He/she wasn’t mad and surprisingly wanted to buy another card from me. I really didn’t want to sell before resolving it in case the buyer would leave me a negative on the newer purchase (I didn’t know you could ask eBay to remove inappropriate negatives then). The buyer was understanding in accepting the lost mail. His/her local PO also confirmed delivery.

It was a PSA 9 1st ed Dark dragonite holo for £55 and yes the buyer bought the other card and changed the address to the proper one.

You would actually be out of ebays assistance if you sent it to an address thAts different than the one thats given to you. Im pretty sure he can change the address as well before you ship.

You seem to have more faith in people than I would.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Its pretty rude on them for being angry at you for following the rules.

You are in 100% right by ebays ToS. All this threats will be useless. I wouldn’t give money just bc of someones word. But thats me. He might even still live there.

@jcincy101 Police wouldn’t be able to do much, since they shouldn’t take the package and just hand it to a person claiming to be the proper recipient (i.e. there’s lots of “John Does” out there). The package would need to be returned “to sender”, then be readdressed to the buyer. Outside of that it’s up to whomever receives the package, in this case the tenants who claim did not receive it yet.

If you sent it to the Address tied with the Paypal account and it shows as delivered, you’re good to keep your money; you sold the cards; you shipped them without even knowing he wanted to change the address and then he decided to change it; while you made an error the goods were already gone and every single step before his message saying he wanted to change the shipping addres, was properly done by you.

You did all you could.

I’d tell the buyer to file a police report and fax it to you. Then you’ll refund 50% if the package isn’t found within 90 days.
Otherwise:
Cut off all communication and only deal with the dispute generated by CC or Paypal or eBay.

1 Like

2 simple rules you forgot/chose not to follow which complicate the matter:

1 - Always send an item with suitable postage which covers the value of the item if it gets lost

2 - Never promise or agree to a buyer’s request without checking first

Nonetheless I think you’ll be safe as the buyers PayPal address wasn’t changed. Just sit tight and let paypal work for you.

As most people have mentioned he is liable since he provided the wrong address. Make sure to save all of your messages since he has admitted to having the wrong address entered.

As a frequent international buyer who ships to a U.S address (courier service), here are my thoughts on the matter:

• I can always set my eBay delivery address to default to U.S address. If I forget to change it prior making a purchase, it’s my fault.
  • When buying outside of eBay, I always ask if the seller is comfortable & willing to ship to an address that’s different from my paypal address. I always provide them the address first, recheck postage costs, then proceed to payment.
  • Buyer changing addresses AFTER a transaction has been made raises a lot of red flags. You were right to request him to cancel and repurchase.
  • If tracking says item has been delivered but the courier service doesnt have it, I ask the couriers to refund the purchase, not the seller.

But do keep in mind that my max purchase was only worth about 2000 USD; so my points above may not be applicable to the more expensive stuff.

So based on the above, the buyer is to blame for not providing the proper address from the get go.

First Off, Buyer should have been more careful when selecting his / her mailing-address! It really baffles me how often this type of scenario actually occurs - where something is sold and paid for and immediately after payment, you receive a message saying that the wrong address was chosen and if it would be possible to mail to a different mailing-address. I actually receive A LOT of those requests (which is fine by me - just as long as I haven’t packaged / mailed the order already). Don’t you think people would be more careful to verify EXACT address with each purchase - I know I double-check my mailing-address when purchasing every-time I purchase anything (and I’ve used same address for years)! LOL

Secondly, your mistake of saying something different than what actually transpired was exactly that - A MISTAKE! We’re all human and make mistakes like that - I wouldn’t sweat that at-all if I were you. I really don’t believe (in-fact I know that you’re not in the wrong here).

Now, regarding the situation that took place… It really depends upon your own personal thoughts on this matter. If you wanted to allow eBay / PayPal to decide your fate, I can basically guarantee that they would rule in your favor on this case - as package was delivered to the address provided at checkout. You’re almost guaranteed to loose him / her as a customer if you opt to not do anything regarding this situation - that’s something I would take into account; is this person a good customer of yours?

Personally, I would type-up a nice response basically outlining how you did everything correctly as the seller and tracking does say delivered. I would propose a partial-refund based-off your profit (taking everything into account / subtracting everything: item cost, shipping cost, packaging materials, your time…). You’ll basically loose-out on your profit; however, it wouldn’t be a complete lose for the Buyer - and I would hope thay’d be able to understand your position and the fact that you’re doing this out of kindness rather than necessity.

1 Like

The buyer won’t understand though.

Explain you need a police report, fax it, and wait 90 days in order to split the loss. Of course, the buyer won’t follow through…but you tried.

3 Likes

I second this.

1 Like

Fax it? That’s a hard question to ask these days, lol :grin:.

3 Likes

Either fax it or Wells Fargo it over.

3 Likes