Original 151 in Japanese

Say I wanted to collect the first appearance of the OG 151 in Japanese, how would I go about it? Buying JPN Base, Jungle and Fossil and a Mew promo?

Thanks

Mew is a set card in the Japanese Fossil set.

8 Likes

I have this binder goal! Just missing the Charizard and one or two others

2 Likes

Pikachu and Jigglypuff CoroCoro promos came out 5 days before base set.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)/1996-2005

Also you need No Rarity base set for the first appearance of those cards.

4 Likes

@ultraluxurycardboard, had no idea how deep this seemingly shallow rabbit hole is. Kinda cool, huh?

2 Likes

OP makes no mention of how much they are willing to spend. But assembling a no-rarity Base set won’t be particularly easy or inexpensive, even when only buying heavily played cards.

2 Likes

@japanime, agreed! My interpretation of first appearance might be a bit strict!

1 Like

I’d go instead with the first “artwork” instead, the first print will be quite expensive to amass thanks to the no-rarity cards.

3 Likes

Exactly, I’ve adopted a similar rule which allowed me to use evolutions and celebrations for much cheaper than the original base set holos.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information everyone!

Definitely looking for first artwork and not printing. Also looking at nice binder copies: nice front, dont care about the back.

1 Like

That’s a quite realistic (and not too costly) goal. On Yahoo Japan auctions, you can find plenty of played copies that are still quite nice and reasonably priced. Good luck, and have fun!

1 Like