Japanese CoroCoro Comics Promos 1996-2001

Im starting to collect the CoroCoro Promo’s and I’m wondering where I can deep dive on the collection itself. Things like the history of the cards, the artwork/ illustrators etc.

This is my first step into the Japanese side of the hobby any direction is greatly appreciated.

Here’s a list of the Japanese CoroCoro promos

9 Likes

Good choice since they are a amazing cards, normally these collections have got some sort of list on bulbapedia but these seem to lack that.

Here is the guide/list that I used when I started: www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9880/psa-set-registry-collecting-japanese-poke-mon-corocoro-promo-cards-beginning-promos

There is a lot of info on the fourum itself on different variations such as: www.elitefourum.com/t/japanese-ivy-pikachu-reprinted-corocoro-variant/29544/1

1 Like

90% of what you need to know can be found here :blush:
Edit: forgot the link
m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)/1996-2005

1 Like

FIXED
Here are scans for the CoroCoros in order of release date up to Shining Mew if it helps you for reference.

16 Likes

CoroCoro Japanese Promo - Reprinted edition
Japanese Ivy Pikachu Reprinted CoroCoro Variant

linkdu83’s collection
Collection of ProChaos → very nice source for quality scans of the “sheets”
→ note: a few are missing in his collection post (as fare as I can tell)*

and here can you find covers and scans of the magazines (the year and month you can find here (its the first number))
Shining Mew (CoroCoro promo)

cavemantaco

Wiki - CoroCoro
Unnumbered Promotional cards (TCG)
Top 35 CoroCoro promo cards!
Pocket Monsters in 1996
Asobikata vol 1 Promo (Pikachu and Jigglypuff) + Coro Coro (No Jumbos)
いいものだけでも … Page 1&2

If you find any good info on your own, please share :wink:

Good luck, in anticipation of an interesting collection post on the futureCracker
*I think by now a found good photos of each card, sheet and magazine cover (except of the reprints mentioned by KEI), if you need some, pm me

4 Likes

With the exception of the shining mew, most of these have very low PSA pops. The only place I’ve been able to find mint ungraded copies are Japanese auction sites.

2 Likes

I used to search eBay several times a day trying to find gradable copies of CoroCoro promos, and it is a very hard task. I found it was easier to buy the cards already graded in the condition I want because of the trouble of finding them in mint raw condition. It makes a lot of sense why the PSA 10’s bring a premium because of the level difficulty in finding mint condition copies.

Was there a far fetchd as well? Ignore the terrible spelling…

Mjisaacs

1 Like

Such a great set. Glad I wrapped it up and can just get picky on card conditions at this point.

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you!

Going to save it for personal use.

Fixed my initial post of the scans

Japan will just slap any set symbol on promos smh…
Definitely gotta complete this set in a binder though.

I see people don’t like Jumbo cards.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Clefairy
Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Pikachu’s Summer Vacation
Pokémon Plaza
Lawrence III
Pokémon Valley
English Charizard
Pikachu & Pichu
Crystal Tower’s Entei

4 Likes

I like jumbo cards. I hate *storing* jumbo cards

3 Likes

This scan does a great job of showing just how beautiful all of them are. It’s hard for me to even pinpoint a top 5.
The two Mew’s and Mewtwo are up there for sure, also Nidoking. Slowking and and Imakuni are of course wacky classics, but I wouldn’t want to miss Farfetch’d and the lovely Dratini either.
Fantastic set to collect!

1 Like

I never saw the Unkown promo, that thing is adorable.

1 Like

Before the entire alphabet of Unown was reprinted in EX Unseen Forces, that CoroCoro promo was the only way to get Unown R. :blush: Every other Unown (except for ? and !) could be found in Neo WotC sets and promos, but this Japanese CoroCoro promo was the only way to complete the full alphabet.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

And one of those books contained the WOTC Harry Potter Wingardium Leviosa promo, though I’m not sure of which issue ~

yes there is one