Official Nintendo Promo Cards

Can’t find infos on these.
Can’t really tell if this is their real name but even troll&toad recognizes this name so I agree until more informations come out.

Copyright says 1995,1996 and 1998, so probably the release is 1998.
Some cards have blue borders instead of red, I’m unsure if every pokemon can have both borders or a specific one. But this far I didn’t see both borders for anyone.

Tracked down so far:

Red Borders

• #01 Bulbasaur
  • #04 Charmander
  • #07 Squirtle
  • #25 Pikachu
  • #39 Jigglypuff

Blue Borders

• #52 Meowth
  • #113 Chansey
  • #133 Eevee
  • #149 Dragonite
5 Likes

This one really bugs me because I remember getting these brand new although I can’t remember where. I’m leaning towards they came out of a food item like a cereal box or pop tarts or something.

1 Like

I’ve read that these came from fruit by the foot products but I’ve got nothing to back that up with

2 Likes

Found it!

8 Likes

Ok, things are getting interesting now!

Bulbapedia says:

Pokémon Rolls were produced by General Mills under the Betty Crocker name and released in 1999. The product is candy rolled into a flat strip, similar to the popular brand Fruit by the Foot. Pokémon Rolls came only in “Punch Red” flavor and were sold in packs of six. Each box included a special Meowth promotional card for a limited time.
Jonathan Yusen, marketing manager of Betty Crocker, stated the following in regards to the rolls: “In order to keep our fruit snacks fun and entertaining, we love to work with equities that are hot with kids.”

The 1999 release don’t match the copyright of the cards.
Also, bulbapedia says only the promo meowth was given with this product (I kinda remember it wasn’t sure to find the gold border on every box, but let go for now).

This Box:

It's slightly different from the one above posted by @khairis , it was a different promotion (the one we most know, in partnership with wotc for the gold border meowth. So the cards given here were tcg card. BUT, there is still the other version, that states STICKER, not CARD.

And those “stickers” are clearly the ‘official nintendo promo cards’ (we can call them “Pokemon Rolls Sticker” now?) you can see in the front box blue border Primeape and Jigglypuff.

So, we’re close, but not done yet.

8 Likes

There is also a silver and gold border Ho Oh:

But these has different copyright dates, no number and blue border on back. My gut instinct said Burger King. But I know they’re not. They’re similar to the BK promos though.

9 Likes

This dude is a hero and posted on his page (almost) every packaging, all the tcg-tips (just the text) and confirmed the tcg cards were all from base set (Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle) except the gold border meowth from jungle.

Confirmed also that Betty Crocker continues to put tcg cards in the products.
12 cards from sun&moon, this time it’s not fruit rolls but fruit snacks shaped like smashed pokemon (they are pretty bad to look at, but come on, they were made to be eaten not collected, we can forgive).

BUT for non-tcg I’m still stuck. Added all the 1998 cards I could find online (9 in total) at the first post.
Nothing found for the 2000 gold/silver border one yet.

3 Likes

Well thats freaky. I just bought a few of these for fun and was going to post asking for identification when they arrived today. Trying to find a whole set since I sometimes see them posted on reddit in old collections. Absolutely have seen gen 2 pokemon so I assumed they were part of the Pokemon 2000 movie promotions. Theyre so generic that Ive been calling them snackpack cards since it was unknown exactly where they came from and someone in an old thread was saying from something similar to poptarts.

Heres what I got in today.

5 Likes

@qwachansey do you have this Chansey? I looked through your collection thread and saw some non-TCG stuff but not this one.

I don’t, I generally don’t collect much non - TCG stuff. Thanks for thinking of me though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This Is bad, my friend.
Look how gorgeous is this boy over here:

Never skip non-tcg for species collections

6 Likes

This one I made an exception for yep! It’s in my collection :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have missed it. My fault!

1 Like

Anyone know how to enter these on PSA for grading and potential value? I have the Charmander Red Border #04 and it’s in great shape, I don’t really collect them but I might trade or sell to fund other stuff I want. Thanks!

They generally arent going to be gradable since there isnt mich documentation about production to show proof of authenticity. Values are whatever people find them for, ive seen $2/card or $10/card.

1 Like

They should grade them if they are official Nintendo cards, not stickers…but I hear you on the production, no idea when or where I got the Charmander one I have but probs goes back to the early days from 1999-2001.

First, post. I came here partly to help and figure out this mystery. I found a long lost collection that contained two of these cards (Charmander and Bulbasaur). No matter how hard I dug, I couldn’t find anyone talking about these. This thread is just about all I could find outside of some eBay lisitings.

However, to address if these cards can be graded, well that’s been answered:

1999 Pikachu 25 Promo Card Pokemon Official Nintendo CGC 8 (POP 1) None Higher | eBay - 1999 Pikachu 25 Promo Card Pokemon Official Nintendo CGC 8 (POP 1) - $180 (obo)

So I saw that, and wondered what all has been graded:
https://www.cgccards.com/population-report/tcg/other-pokémon-cards/78/all/866/pokémon-rolls-promos/16810?populationID=1359039&page=1

There are about 8 graded cards on CGC, with one being the on listed eBay,

Can these be graded? Yes. Do they have value? No idea. Massive ranges on the pricing, but this graded Pikachu is the highest I’ve seen.

One thing worth noting, for whatever reason these cards are frequently in awful condition. Half of them that are listed are in a shape so bad I wouldn’t consider them anything more then personal nostalgia.

Gut feeling is that these aren’t the ‘Pokemon Rolls Promo’. Much like the gold border Meowth’s. I have quite a few promos from this era, and these seem to be a little too rare to be handed out en masse from fruit rollup boxes.

Also, subjectively I’ve noticed some are rarer than others in auctions.

Disclosure: I completed my set when I discovered this thread, as I just really enjoy ‘vintage’ promos of all sorts.

1 Like

Based on the other cert numbers graded around it, it looks like someone mass sent a lot of random pokemon related card adjacent items. Ive only really found them being referred to as relating to snack rolls here so there is a good chance that the photos in this topic were what was used for authenticity determination.

Great to know someone authenticates them, it still seems a bit questionable to me without more info. With how random they appear in collections it does seem to jive with kids getting a card from a limited run of a foodsnack promo but not something that youd shop for regularly.

First thing yes, they are either a different promotion or a different promotion, the cards with the Gold border meowth were all tcg cards, if I Remember correctly, from base set only

Second thing God bless you for Discovering these are being graded

I totally Need to find out why is there a ho-oh very similar to the ones in the First post and if there’s more johto out there.

3 Likes

Ive seen at least 6 gen2 pokemon in this style. For sure Ho-oh, lugia, hoothoot, and i think snubull, elekid, togepi?

They do exist though.

1 Like