Nintendo Switch Pokemon Game Remakes

Hey I have a question:

Does anyone know or has heard if Nintendo Switch is bringing out remakes of Silver / Sapphire games anytime soon or ever ?

I have looked all over the internet but haven’t managed to find any information, thought I would check in here to see if someone knows something I don’t

Silver already had it’s remake Soul Silver on NDS. The only chance is that they bring out a Let’s Go Johto game.

Sapphire also already had its remake Alpha Sapphire on 3DS. There is no chance it gets a Let’s Go game before the above.

1 Like

Nintendo are super slow on porting things over, even GBA games never made it over to the DS / 3DS / Switch.
I agree with @way2slowbro , the next games in those regions would most likely be the Lets Go games.

Other than that, I can’t see Nintendo porting any of their older systems games within the next 10 years at this rate haha

I disagree with the above that any sort of Let’s Go project will ever manifest in the future. The games were savaged by fans and did not sell as well as normal Pokémon games. The whole intention of the project was to try to bridge the huge player base of Pokémon Go towards the more traditional games which did not happen. The game was a failed experiment.

To answer your other question though, no, there have been no announcements or even rumors of older games being rereleased on the Switch. Now would be the time to do it because of the anniversary, but there’s been no movement towards that at all. It would be a big surprise for them to announce it now.

1 Like

The Let’s Go games sold 13 million units which slightly outsold HeartGold and SoulSilver. I’d hardly call that a failed experiment. I do agree that we probably won’t see any Let’s Go projects in the future.

To reiterate what others have said, Gold/Silver have remakes on the Nintendo DS, HeartGold and SoulSilver. The cartridges by themselves go for $100+ on ebay. Ruby and Sapphire have remakes on the 3DS, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. These are more affordable, I think the cartridges still go around $30-$40. I doubt we’ll see a port of Gold/Silver/Crystal or Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to the switch anytime soon either. If you want to play G/S/C you can purchase them for $10 a piece on the 3DS eshop.

I also think it was a failed experiment. Many people bought it to see what it was but if they released another one, nintendo knows very few people would buy it, hence why it failed. It sold worse than Soulsilved but that was because gen 4 was a very slow time for pokemon fans. They were just coming out of the popularity rut from gen 3.

1 Like

So in this case I want to clarify the difference in what I mean. Let’s Go was not a financial failure, but it was a failure in regards to what its aspirations were. Pokémon Go had 55 million active players at the time and Pokémon Go generates a colossal amount of revenue. It is obviously in the interest of The Pokémon Company to try to convert those players to other Pokémon products. Even seducing a fraction of that playerbase to other Pokémon products could mean a ginormous increase in revenue from that giant customer base. Let’s Go was designed, described, and advertised as a “bridge game” that was meant to entice Pokémon Go players to the mainline games. Their intention was not to sell 13 million units. Their intention was to capitalize on the gigantic customer base they had in a different channel. If their experiment had worked, Let’s Go Pikachu & Eevee would have sold more than any recent mainline Pokémon entries because it would have meant they sold it to their traditional RPG audience and a huge influx of converts.

But this did not happen. The game sold less significantly less than SWSH, nullifying the entire point of Let’s Go. Let’s Go was a product designed to do a very specific thing. It did not achieve that. Therefore Let’s Go has no real reason to exist. Let’s Go were designed to be the best selling Pokémon games since RBY. It was positioned to be the most inviting re-entry point possible to Pokémon fans who previously did not play traditional Pokémon titles. In the end, it converted very few people and mostly sold to people who already buy traditional Pokémon games and SWSH ate its lunch.

I think we’ll see design elements of Let’s Go incorporated into regular Pokémon games (we already did with SWSH) but I do not believe we will ever see a Let’s Go title again.

55 million players is definitely a lot, but you also need to consider that PoGo is a free to play mobile game on a device that a vast majority of the population own. Most people have a phone, not everyone has a switch or the funds to buy one, plus games and accessories. I agree that part of the intent of it’s release was to introduce players to the mainline series but I don’t think they were expecting to get 100% of the fan base. We can’t say what their intent was truly, but if I had to guess it would come down to three things:

1. Introduce as many Pokemon Go players to the mainline series
  2. Interest the fans of the mainline series enough with a remake of the best selling games in the franchise.
  3. I think this is the most important one - Sell a shit ton of Switch units.

Let’s Go were the very first Pokemon games introduced to the Nintendo Switch and as we now know, all subsequent games will be released on this console. So doesn’t it make sense that Nintendo would want as many Pokemon fans to own a switch before the next new generation (their best sellers) releases? Personally, I didn’t care for Let’s Go. I had a fun time playing it with my girlfriend who didn’t play any of the games outside of Pokemon Go (and she had a blast with it). To call it a failed experiment doesn’t sit right with me because I don’t think their intent was to make Let’s Go it’s own series. I think it was to get as many Pokemon fans to buy a Switch before the Sword and Shield dropped and I would say it worked because look at how well those sold. Again, I agree with you that we won’t see another Let’s Go game but I also don’t think they were planning on making more anyway.

I think we have enough evidence to support what their goals were considering the game was a was called “Let’s Go” and incorporated Go mechanics into the game, in addition to everything they said in interviews. I’ll drop some quotes and links because I think it’s an interesting inflection point in Pokémon history.

www.theverge.com/2018/10/15/17963926/pokemon-lets-go-nintendo-switch-pikachu-evee

Ahead of its release, analysts were publicly crunching numbers about how many Pokémon Go players they thought Let’s Go would entice.

www.vg247.com/2018/11/16/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-pokemon-go-players/

Masuda was also vocal about how these games were made in response to Pokémon Go and wanting to incorporate those players and those features into the core series.

nintendoeverything.com/masuda-stresses-pokemon-lets-go-isnt-a-spin-off-future-titles-could-connect-to-pokemon-go/

www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/11/01/junichi-masuda-talks-about-how-pokemon-go-inspired-the-creation-of-pokemon-lets-go/?sh=27c262243e00

There’s plenty of reporting and direct commentary from TPC about this. Let’s Go were made in response to the success of Go, they were marketed to Go players, they were meant to be the foundational entry point for the series going forward. And even if their hope to appeal to longtime fans with a remake was of equal importance to converting Go players, they didn’t really achieve that either. It is clear they had high hopes for how much Let’s Go would sell and who it would sell to and in the end that’s just not what happened.

Whether or not this was rational or justifiable is kind of secondary to the fact this is what they wanted to do. Remember that TPC is not Nintendo. They had no hand in the success of the Switch. They don’t particularly care if the Switch does well. TPC famously did not believe the Switch would be a success and expected it to fail. It’s not the goal of TPC to sell Switches, it’s the goal to sell Pokémon to as many people as possible and generate the highest amount of revenue possible. I think that even without all the comments and interviews where they’re pretty forward about what they wanted these games to be, their goals here were pretty transparent.

I think it was always a lost cause to try to convert mobile players to console. These are fundamentally different audiences. They said they would make sequels and explore new Let’s Go games if these ones were a success. I just don’t think that given their goals they would classify the experiment as a success.

@stagecoach , You’re right that the Pokemon Company is only interested in selling Pokemon not switches. Is it not in their best interest that their audience has the hardware to play their newest games as I’m sure they knew their next titles wouldn’t be on 3DS. I’ll concede that it may not have been at the top of their list given what I learned from the articles you provided which I appreciate you taking the time to grab and provide them to me as I thought they were pretty interesting.

From what I gathered from the articles it seems these games were a test to see how fans felt about integrating Pokemon Go and using the new catch mechanics in the main series while making an easy entry point into the main series. If they were well received they’d make more games based around these mechanics. Obviously, we know at this point that the PoGO catch mechanic isn’t something the fans want in the main series, however, the connection to Pokemon Go is now available through Pokemon Home so you can transfer Pokemon from your phone to Sword and Shield because fans actually liked that functionality. I would say that the PoGo catch mechanic failed in finding it’s way into the main series but there’s no way the Pokemon Company would have known that if they didn’t try something new in the first place. Which is the point of an experiment, to see what works and what doesn’t.

So what I think it really comes down to is where we draw the line in the sand of what we consider to be a failure. They said they used these games as a test to see what fans wanted out of the series. They got their answer to that while also making money. They now know that the fanbase likes the functionality of connecting Pokemon Go to the mainline games. They know that the PoGo catch mechanic should stay in Pokemon GO. Most importantly, I think they made a fun game that was an easy introduction to the mainline series of games. Because of this I think the experiment succeeded in giving them the answers they wanted but failed in going in a direction Masuda was hoping it would.

Also, this thread has gotten really off topic so maybe if we want to continue the discussion further we should move to DMs before Papa FourthStar does his dirty magic

1 Like

At best they may port the 3DS remakes to the Switch at some point in the distant future, but a full blown remake for the Switch seems unlikely. Had Nintendo ever done 2 separate remakes of the same game for 2 different consoles?

I do not think I would care for a full-blown remake of the older games, as long as the games are accessible in some way via eShop or something similar. It would be nice, but I prefer Pokemon to keep its resources focused on the future.

In the next decade of Pokemon, I do want to see more innovation in the core games, which it seems the Pokemon Company is starting to experiment with their 2022 release of Pokemon Legends - although I don’t believe that’s the actual sequel to SWSH. I would love to have a VR compatible mainline Pokemon game, but I’m glad Pokemon has finally converted over to a console with the Switch releases in recent years. There is a lot of richness in the Pokemon world that a fully 3D world can capture better than the pseudo-3D we’ve been getting on our handhelds, and I think we are just scratching the surfaces with these past releases.

Looking forward to the next 25 years of Pokemon already!

Thanks for all the responses - so essentially no silver / sapphire games lined up / announced for remakes

I am hoping they do decide to go down that road in the near future as I didnt play any games past sapphire so the diamond game remakes dont do anything for me

Appreciate all your time!!!
If i come across any announcements i will post here!