Nintendo Promises to Take Tech Problems Seriously

Looks like the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet patch has arrived, as well as a promise to take tech problems more seriously. Thoughts?

We are aware that players may encounter issues that affect the games’ performance. Our goal is always to give players a positive experience with our games, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We take the feedback from players seriously and are working on improvements to the games.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60277/p/989#v110

1 Like

If they took issues like these seriously they wouldn’t be in the game in the first place :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

Fair… I am shocked that Nintendo chose to address the feedback at all.

3 Likes

I was honestly expecting radio silence and no fixes at all lol this is better than that, but still sucks. The game is practically unplayable for me as of now

1 Like

Well gamefreak isnt exactly known for pushing the boundries of game development. So i dont expect much

1 Like

Agreed. If I keep my expectations low, I won’t be disappointed. :melting_face:

I’m not surprised they are addressing it. This wasn’t just a whiny complaint about someone’s favorite Pokémon not being included. This was truly the first time performance has effected playability in a major way. PLA and SWSH weren’t perfect but they were by no means unplayable.

I really hope they can smooth it out because the underlying game is really fun.

1 Like

Scarlet and Violet are far from unplayable. Like, that isn’t even remotely the close to being the case. I’m just about done with the game and none of these issues have actually affected my gameplay save for a couple of moments here and there where things got laggy. The main issues are optimization things like weird NPC walk cycles and characters glitching.

I absolutely think Gamefreak needs to improve the quality of Scarlet and Violet and any Pokemon games moving forward, but calling the games “unplayable” is just incredibly overblown (and I’m not directing this toward you specifically; I have noticed numerous people say this and I just find it to be a rather large exaggeration).

Aside from the cosmetic issues I mentioned that certainly need correcting, Scarlet and Violet are miles ahead of Sword and Shield as overall games, in my opinion (and I’m someone that didn’t hate Sword and Shield; I just found those games somewhat bland).

2 Likes

Perhaps I didn’t word my thoughts correctly. I don’t think Scarlet and Violet are unplayable, I’ve already clocked over 60 hours (wow that was embarrassing to type) and really enjoy it. What I meant is that the complaints and criticism that have been raised with the performance of the game are more valid than ever, in my opinion. I remember the outrage over the national dex being cut from swsh or the low resolution textures in PLA. Those didn’t warrant some sort of formal acknowledgment or apology. However in my experience with the new games so far, the issues are to a point where I have a really hard time ignoring them.

I can accept choices that developers make, graphics, direction, mechanics, etc… but the performance issues aren’t intended to be there.

But you’re right, “unplayable” is a bit hyperbolic.

2 Likes

Agreed…overall I thought it was fine. I also don’t play video games regularly and have nothing to compare it to. That may be the disconnect here…I am sure most new game releases are cutting edge. I don’t think their goal is to have the best graphics or video game out there…the ip sells itself. The storylines were great and I really hope they continue to add multiple storylines in the future. Had a blast playing this but I am also a tech challenged boomer.

1 Like

Speak for yourself; just because these issues haven’t affected your gameplay doesn’t mean that everyone else whose complaining is overreacting. For me, the game consistently runs sub 20 FPS, environment is glitching/ artifacts, you can fall through the map, the game is constantly stuttering, freezing, slowing down and many are experiencing crashing and camera clipping outside the map (you can’t see and it won’t let you maneuver the camera back in). The experience varies and it seems to be worse docked and on older Switches.

The game itself seems to be fun, but it’s been difficult to feel that through the non-stop issues.

1 Like

Interesting, I hadn’t considered this as a factor - it would explain why gameplay experience varies so much. For me, the game is as @Cerulean describes: some hiccups, but nothing all that bothersome.

1 Like

A calm and a reasonable person also said the same thing :wink:

Good words to live by!

Cheers!

1 Like

Don’t feel too embarrassed I have almost 100 hours clocked :grimacing:

3 Likes

It’s all about what you value out of your gaming experience. Some people play games because they enjoy the game’s mechanics. Others play games for seamless graphics and meaningful animations. Competitive gamers play games to compete against others, etc.

That being said, I really do think that the game in its current state is unacceptable. I’ve wanted to see Pokemon come to life in a way that reflects their unique designs, but the main series games continue to disappoint. Scarlet and Violet cannot deliver on this because the game itself doesn’t run smoothly. The closest we got to “expressive and meaningful” representations of Pokemon was back in Generation 5.

To be clear, I’m not saying people cannot enjoy the game as it currently is. But it’s hard to enjoy a game when I’m constantly watching the camera melt into 15 FPS any time I want to look left or right.

1 Like

I have literally experienced none of these issues, nor has anyone else I know who has played these games. Sounds like this may be just a you issue.

Maybe you aren’t overreacting with this game, but tons of people are, including people who have not even actually played the games and are going off of what they hear from others. There is absolutely a groupthink dynamic that goes on with modern Pokemon games in which a rather large group of people like to complain about everything. That is an undeniable fact.

I’d say unacceptable is certainly a better term than unplayable, and I agree. The fact that the optimization is so horrendously poor in these games is unacceptable.

1 Like

There is also an equally large group of people who defend and excuse any and all decisions made by TPCi and Gamefreak - contextually, these unacceptable technical failures - and even go out of their way to argue against people voicing fair criticism. They are “true Pokémon fans” and you are not, because you dare offer criticism to their favorite multi-billion franchise. They use phrases like “just let people enjoy things” and “don’t buy the game if you don’t like it” - completely disregarding the people who bought the game expecting a good experience and were sadly disappointed. There’s absolutely groupthink on both sides.

I genuinely have not seen any overreactions regarding this game. Just because some people don’t find the performance issues to render the game unplayable, doesn’t mean others’ claims are any less true for them. For example, I can’t play certain Switch games (like BotW) in docked mode because the frame inconsistencies/drops give me a headache, so I have to play handheld. This is something not just experienced by me, and personally I don’t mind the low-resolution of games in handheld mode. Some do though, and can’t immerse themselves in the game because they are too focused on straining to see important details. So while we could play these games in a certain way, it would bring us pain to do so - hence, “unplayable”.

You’re free to enjoy the games as much as you like, and others are free to be disappointed, however extreme.

3 Likes

I didnt buy the game but i borrowed the copy from a friend, just wanted to check performance. The game is very buggy on my end and found some game crashing issues. All of my friends have experienced issues varying from annoying to game breaking.

This a sign of a messed up and terribly optimized game, usually if a game is good you wouldn’t hear/read so much complains so using your experience as an argument to nullify others is borderline naive.

1 Like

Thats the thing, the original pokemon games were revolutionary. I think it was like 6 years of development or something and although they can be buggy messes, they really did push game development.

It’s sad to see how far they’ve fallen but it makes sense given the formulaic release to push product that gamefreak has been pigeonholed into.

1 Like

they have not innovated since the very first game though. They are easily the least talented game devs or the laziest in the AAA game space

2 Likes