NHK Pokemon Special Featuring smpratte

Recently NHK Japan flew out to interview me for a Pokemon special. For those who aren’t aware (myself included before this interview) NHK is the largest broadcasting network in Japan! This special is about the popularity of Pokemon in Japan. A lot of great footage of stores, collectors and the overall climate of Pokemon. My appearance starts at 10:50.

Here is the video for non Japanese members: NHK & smpratte - YouTube

The NHK link is limited to Japanese citizens or Ip address, but here is that link as well!

https://plus.nhk.jp/watch/st/g1_2023021334873

62 Likes

White JEM spotted!

3 Likes

I have no clue what you said in the interview, but it looked great! :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

Late to watching the MMR (today), and I was wondering when the interview would be out. Good to know my timing is impeccable!

1 Like

Nice! It must feel surreal to see yourself on Japanese TV talking about Pokemon :grin: What kind of questions did they ask you?

Does anyone know Japanese enough to translate the Smpratte part :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Our resident Pokemon celebrity!! :joy: Super cool imo

1 Like

Very cool! Did they reach out to interview you? How long did the whole interview take?

2 Likes

They actually did 4 hours of content, just for the 10:50 segment. :melting_face:

The questions were about the recent growth and interest in Pokemon cards. I think the one they used was “why are pokemon cards valuable, because they are just cards”. I explained how the value is abstract just like with any collectible, and they are no different than sport cards, artwork, etc.

8 Likes

Yes I received an email and they flew out later that week! The whole process was about 4 hours. The full interview was actually really good. The questions made a great discussion. Here were a few of them:

1. What is the current value of the trading cards you own (as much as you can say)? How did you get there to make such a fortune?
  2. Do you consider yourself a collector or investor of trading cards? Why did you choose that as a career? What attracts you most about Pokémon cards?
  3. Please tell us how trading cards, especially Pokémon cards, become a tangible and alternative investment asset in recent years beyond a hobby for certain enthusiasts.
  4. Why do you think Japanese gaming cards, some of which are even written in the Japanese language, became so popular in the US and beyond? Why have some of those Japanese card prices skyrocketed in recent years?
  5. What are the advantages of investing in trading cards instead of jewelry or real estate?
21 Likes

did you show them the lego collection :eyes:

2 Likes

That is so cool!! I think it’s very interesting they’re asking so many investment and value based questions. I guess it makes more sense given the past several years, but I didn’t expect NHK to be the ones to fly out to you and ask questions about the stonkz!

8 Likes

There were definitely some normie questions. But overall it was a great discussion about how and why pokemon is where its at today. The interviewer was so good. Honestly I should just see what it would cost for her to come back and do the full interview on my channel. :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

When I was in middle school through early highschool, my family was stationed out in Japan. Many years later, my parents are still nostalgic of Japan and frequently watch sumo wrestling as well as the news on NHK! I’ll have to watch this with them, I’m super excited!

4 Likes

Ahh the old film industry. Shoot for 4 hours, use 2 minutes of material in the final edit. Haha. I know how you feel, I do it every day!

That must have been a really cool experience man. That’s awesome. I bet it was a blast to have the Japanese film crew around and to share your collection with them.

7 Likes

That would be so legit if you could do the full Q&A again with her and show her both grandma rooms

We got a tiny extra glimpse of the Grandma house! Full Patreon tour when???

6 Likes

Smpratte dubbed not subbed

16 Likes

This interview is really awesome! Too bad I am not fluent in Japanese :melting_face:. Sounds like the discussion topics were pretty detailed and engaging. I’m assuming you weren’t given a copy of the interview? If anything, since you’ve already gone through the process, you could pretty easily make a series of content surrounding the discussion topics.

We do need those english subs, this looks very interesting.