New Charizard VMax Hyper Rare. 600 Copies

Don’t forget Masked Royal, also 100 copies. The first promo. That’s imo better than both zekrom and mewtwo.

3 Likes

That one was also playable I heard? Any factors that go into a cards price really get amplified by rarity, cool to see.

I KNEW it was coming… But where is the gold version?

Definitely agree! Although I might be slightly biased because I collect Full Art Supporter cards and own The Masked Royal (PSA-10). But due to its semi-trophy release method and limited availability, it also isn’t surprising it’s my most expansive bought card thus far. :blush:

Anyway, I don’t envy the Charizard collectors out there. It’s already the most expensive Pokémon to collect to begin with, so most collectors probably are (as mentioned earlier) both excited and annoyed by a release like this.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I posted a thread speculating about charizard trophys a couple of months ago, do you think they were listening in? :grin:

www.elitefourum.com/t/if-charizard-was-on-a-trophy-card/27320/1

So now we get to see what happens when a charizard trophy hits the market!! Its exciting!! But I still wish they were hand drawn trophy’s would looks so much nicer in my opinion and I mean its not like you are going to be buying one of these then rushing to a Pokemon event to get “Mr 5Ban” to sign it.

3 Likes

Dragonite V Max gets the same treatment right?

Let me share some info straight from Japan, and not google-translated :wink:

There is a total of 600 mini-events planned throughout the summer. These will be played in the sealed format; participants will open 10 packs of the latest set (Legendary Heartbeat) and build a 40-cards deck from the cards they pulled.

Each event will have 16 players, first split up in groups of four. Participants play three matches against the other three players in their group. The player with the most wins in their group gets a Full Art Charizard V, and gets into the second phase of the event. The second phase is a single-elimination tournament with the four best players. And whoever wins it all gets the Charizard VMAX promo.

So that’s 600 Charizard VMAX, and four times as many Charizard V. That is of course, if all the events do take place – and we know how unpredictable that is in the current situation.
In previous years similar events were held, with the promos being Masked Royal (100 copies), Zekrom GX (100 copies) and Mewtwo GX (300 copies). Here’s a poster from a card shop in Tokyo showing how much they’re willing to pay for them:

That’s roughly 5.5k USD for Zekrom and Masked Royal, and 2.5k USD for Mewtwo. And lately they’re all on the rise – the collector fever is finally catching up over here too.
This time the trophy card will have twice as many copies as Mewtwo had, but I wonder if it won’t be more than twice as popular :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s quite a lot of debate on the Japanese side of Twitter today regarding the decision to hold events with such an appealing prize in the current situation, what with the pandemic and all. As for myself I’ll try registering online (although I expect the servers to explode), but probably won’t risk the last-minute on-the-scene registration that some shops might allow and which might gather big, greedy crowds which probably won’t have health and safety on the top of their mind.

10 Likes

There are 2 camps of thought on this.

#1 Super rare cards build hype and that is good.

#2 Super rare cards are hard or impossible to collect. My collection will never be complete, why bother collecting. So another person stops.

That regular FA zekrom looks amazing! The color and the design are outstanding. Does that card only have 100 copies? I’m seriously considering picking up my first trophy card. I might need help

1 Like

Don’t forget Korea, they also held these Shield Battle tournaments before.
I assume they will hold this one too.

Mewtwo HR in Korean, is even far more rare than the Japanese version, I double checked it last year with Korean friends.
I should look up Zekrom and Masked Royal again too later tonight.

Only thing is that you can’t grade them at PSA (right?), and Korean is less in demand over Japanese.

3 Likes

Rainbow is sick! One of the few non vintage cards id like in my collection!

Interesting to speculate on what this will fetch!

This won’t be reprinted?

Most likely not. There was already a thread for these cards here, btw: www.elitefourum.com/t/new-charizard-vmax-hyper-rare-600-copies/28314/1.

If we compare them to the other similar semi-trophy cards mentioned in that thread (The Masked Royal; the Hyper and Full Art Zekrom card; the Hyper and Full Art Mewtwo cards; and the three Extra Battle Day promos), whom all had a rather similar release as these Charizards will have:

• The Masked Royal was limited to 100 copies in Japanese, 30 copies in Korean, and never released in any other language
  • The Hyper Rare Zekrom was limited to 100 copies in Japanese, not sure how many in Korean, and never released in any other language
  • The Full Art Zekrom was limited to ~1000 copies in Japanese (it mentions ‘approximately 1,000 copies’ on Bulbapedia), not sure how many in Korean, and never in any other language
  • The Hyper Rare Mewtwo was limited to 300 copies in Japanese, 17 copies in Korean, and never released in any other language
  • The Full Art Mewtwo was limited to ~1200 copies in Japanese (not sure, couldn’t find a number), 36 copies in Korean, and never released in any other language
  • The three Extra Battle Day promos were limited to roughly 75-200 copies each (216 tournament were originally planned, and the two finalists would receive a pack containing one of these three promos. due to earthquakes or hurricanes - not sure which of the two anymore - some of the tournaments were cancelled however, so not sure how many were actually released / given). These weren’t printed in Korean a.f.a.i.k., they were however available in the second Chinese SM era set: Dreams Come True Collection. So the artwork itself isn’t too hard to come by because of this ‘mass-produced’ set.

So regarding these Charizards, there is a small chance it will have an even more limited release in Korean, as well as a very minor chance it’s released in Chinese/Thai/Indonesian (which are now all three printing the same sets since Double Burst, albeit Thai comes a few months after the Chinese release, and the Indonesian a few months after the Thai). I can say with roughly 95% certainty that these Charizards won’t be printed in English or any of the other languages, based on these similar semi-trophies mentioned above.

PS: @fourthstartcg Could you maybe merge the two threads?

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

@quuador Done, thanks for the tag! Always remember to check recent threads before posting your own.

1 Like

Who’s down to go to Japan for these.

4 Likes

Thai (also Indonesian) Zekrom SR as a set card (yes my memory is working now finally XD):

https://twitter.com/PokeGuardian/status/1195384500521459713

I never saw the image of the HR Zekrom version, but I saw a listing on a thai card shop before, i asked a thai card shop on FB before, but they couldnt provide me images… I checked future set of other Asian sets before, I couldnt find a Mewtwo SR… which is very odd…

1 Like

That’s 250 usd for Mewtwo, not 2.5k

He is not lying, the image is just weird.

If im not mistaken, this is a buylist from another shop.

300000 Japanese Yen

https://twitter.com/cardrush\_poke/status/1278997232289636352/photo/1

1 Like

Ah, didn’t knew that! I didn’t check the Thai and Indonesian sets tbh, I just knew the Extra Battle Day promos were part of the Chinese set I mentioned.
I do see the Hyper Rare Zekrom GX as well in the Sky Ruler set list on Bulbapedia (180/178 is the one you posted, 201/178 is the Hyper Rare). And that set is released in both Thai and Indonesian. :blush:

Also, the second Thai and Indonesian sets Legends Awakened contain the two Mewtwo cards I now see, but unfortunately not the correct ones:

Here an unfortunately pretty vague picture of the regular Zekrom and Mewtwo in Indonesian:

Here a picture of the Thai Mewtwo Hyper Rare:

I couldn’t find a picture of the Zekrom Hyper Rare, although I do see it (out of stock) for sale on a Thai webshop I sometimes use (without picture unfortunately; almost none of their Hyper Rares have pictures).

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes