Taipei Regional Charizard . What do you guys think?

I was wondering if anyone else picked up the charizard promo from Charizard Cup / Taipei Regional? From what I can gather each card had a pretty limited printing and the only way to get one was to win at least some matches in the tournament. Here is the one I picked up. I really think this card has good fundamentals to be a sought after card for a lot of charizard collectors but im curious to know what you guys think as well.

here is information about the card below.

3 Likes

I’m not a Charizard collector, so I haven’t picked up any myself. But I do know a few people that have. Nickygin.pokemon recently graded the full set of these, included the rarer Hyper Rares in PSA-10:

And tw_pokecollector is a pretty big Chinese collector as well, so no doubt he has them as well I assume.

As for being sought after in the future: probably yeah. It’s a Charizard, so there will always be a market for it, and its value will most likely increase.
Keep in mind that Chinese cards aren’t nearly as popular to collect in comparison to English and Japanese, though. There aren’t too many collectors who collect multiple languages in the TCG (like myself), so this card will mostly be popular among specifically Chinese collectors, or specifically Charizard collectors that go after just these artworks in all languages. Before there were also Charizard collectors in general that went for all languages (I know one who does), but he’s completely priced out of his collection goals in the current market. What he already acquired in previous year is pretty impressive, though (I’m pretty sure he has all Neo Destiny Shiny Charizard variants; all Crystal Charizards; and most Gold Star and Base Set Charizards).

Greetz.
Quuador

2 Likes

I’m very impressed with the explanation of the prizes and print runs

In short, I’m interested in grabbing some of them, but don’t think now’s the best timing to get them and thus am still observing.

Here are the current local market prices of each card in USD:

• Charizard GX Full Art: $200
  • Charizard GX Rainbow: $400
  • Reshiram & Charizard GX Gold: $1600 (1000 copies)
  • Charizard V Full Art: $600 (1500 copies)
  • Charizard VMAX Rainbow: $7500 (500 copies)

For comparison, here are the current local market prices of Charizard Vs’ Japanese counterparts, given that they were distributed in similar fashion:

• Charizard V Full Art: $2300 (3000 copies)
  • Charizard VMAX Rainbow: $8500 (1200 copies)

And collectors who would be interested in these cards are:

• Collectors of Traditional Chinese cards - definitely a smaller population than English or Japanese cards, but may include collectors from Mainland China, whose population is hard to estimate, and thus can’t really tell if 500/1000/1500 copies should be considered as rare or not.
  • Collectors of Charizard across region, some of which may be priced out by the recent craze or this whole series of Charizard Vs (Thailand had already finished their exhibition battle for the first Charizard V, and we don’t know if Indonesia is also planning to hand their copies out through battles)

Based on the information above, I would say that if you’re seriously considering grabbing them for collection, you may start looking at the GXs (not the Gold one) or even Charizard V (although personally I would track Charizard V on auction sites until June or July to see if there’s potential for the price to drop further).

Reshiram & Charizard GX Gold is overpriced at $1600. I’ve started tracking it since its March release when some of the earliest sellers listed them at $1800, and it’s still in a downward trend where few of them were actually sold, more of them being listed and prices are being lowered. Also note that this card is famous for having a misprinted stroke on the front at the bottom right in its early batches. Official distributors had offered for an exchange, but some sellers just put the defected cards on sale without bothering, so be sure to examine enough photos before buying.

As for Charizard VMAX Rainbow, it’s very confusing right now - the $7500 price tag is way overpriced given its Traditional Chinese locale and the not-so-limited quantity of 500. However, if you look really closely to the tournament rules, you will notice that there’s no way for the officials to actually hand out all 500 copies as the were not enough tournaments, and the current price tag may be based on the actual number of cards already in the market. Whether the officials are planning for more tournaments to make sure they hand out 500 is currently unknown.

In conclusion, I would say that Reshiram & Charizard GX and Charizard VMAX Rainbow requires some more observation, so don’t rush unless you’re desperate to get one or lucky enough to find one in perfect condition.

On the other hand, I would suggest not to get them for investment purposes as there are just too many uncertainties (in collector interest and population, collecting trend over time, price fluctuations, etc.) than their Japanese and English counterparts.

2 Likes

Interesting information! For the gold ReshiZard GX, based on the official Pokemon Taiwan Facebook post on 17 March 2021, I believe only 800 copies are to be given out to the lucky draw winners (although the promotional material stated 1000 copies).

Didn’t know that it was also given out in Thailand. Hopefully, it will be slightly affordable, haha.

That kid in the video is really well spoken for an eight year old. Anyway I think these cards are risky, but may be worth it if you can get them cheap. The Japanese charizard V is already a pretty risky purchase as it doesn’t have unique art, unlike the prior HR competitions.

From what I heard the remaining 200 were assigned to Hong Kong (official event details had stated that all quantities specified were combined numbers of both Taiwan and HK), but unfortunately I’m not following the event schedule in HK and thus have no idea about their current release status.

Charizard VMAX Rainbow on the other hand cannot use the same reason to explain their release numbers because the actual number of cards released in Taiwan is too low - it was estimated that the actual number released after finishing all scheduled tournaments was around 50 to 65. There’s no way for tournaments in Hong Kong to cover the remaining 430+ cards.

For those who were wondering why Charizard V didn’t run into the same issue: distribution rules in the Taiwan event were different from Japan. Charizard V and VMAX were released in Japan as the top 4 and winner prize of the same tournament (thus persisting the 4:1 ratio). Taiwan however releases Charizard V and VMAX in separate venues, with V released at store-level tournaments and VMAX only at city-level and/or regional tournaments, giving players far less chances to get VMAX.

My impression of Thai cards is that their prices should be more stable than Traditional Chinese, as sellers in Taiwan have a stronger tendency to follow Japanese market prices when determining initial prices of each single, causing the cards to go overprice. However that was just an initial guess, and we’ll have to wait for Thailand to complete their tournament to find out.

Charizard V was tend to be unique as full art didn’t exist at the time of release, but then comes the Shiny version which based on full art so the uniqueness was lost. And yes the Traditional Chinese (and Thai when released) variants can be considered risky as collectors seeking for these cards are a very selective group of people:

• They have to be aware that they are collecting cards in a language which can be far less popular than English or Japanese - as we already mentioned, they may be going after the language specifically or want to cover all languages.
  • And more importantly, if the language they want to collect had a different and much more difficult way to obtain, they must acknowledge that difficulty of getting the language they want and willing to pay the proper price. For example, if you want the Traditional Chinese Reshiram & Charizard GX gold card, you will have to understand that the card is from a lottery instead of a pack pull as in Japanese, and get ready to pay what you think a prize card should worth instead of a regular secret card.

I believe the cards will age well, but only among collectors described above who recognize the cards, so the target customers will be really hard to find if kept for investment purposes. In conclusion, these cards are mostly for those who really want them for collection without considering the possibilities of reselling.

1 Like

I really appreciate all the replies . I picked up the one I have still sealed for $400. Not sure if that was too much or not , guess only time will tell. I am still trying to really get a grasp on the fundamentals of what makes a card age well. This one seemed limited enough and within a price rage I was ok gambling with , so I pulled the trigger. I’ll get it graded and stuck it with the rest of my collection and see where we are in 10 years or so with it .

I see. As I did not see any promotional material on the Charizard competition in the official Pokemon Hong Kong website, I just assumed that the event did not take place due to recent world event. But you are probably right as I do not follow their event schedule.

Thanks for the additional info as well. The rainbow Charizard VMAX is a nice card, but I’m priced out of it, haha. More interested in the gold card since it is only released in Japanese and Korean so far.

Good luck with getting the cards on your end!