moistcr1tikal / penguinz0 2x Box Opening 27th Nov

I couldn’t see any post about this,
Charlie will be opening 1st ed Team Rocket & Gym Challenge boxes on the 27th Nov 8pm est live on Twitch.
He purchased them from Leonhart.

3 Likes

Kinda surprised he isn’t opening them on Poke-Week or whatever it’s called.
Pretty cool either way!

Not sure if it’s been discussed, but a bunch of the biggest Twitch streamers are each buying a “vintage” or 1st ed. box in the beginning of December and opening a new box every day for a week or so. I think they’re calling it “Poke-Week” or something similar. I know there’s an Aquapolis box being opened, along with some Neo boxes I believe, possibly base set, and some others. Should bring in some good exposure lol. No idea if any Pokemon creators are going to be invited/appear, but I do know that on a livestream PokeRev was at one point invited to at least pop in.

Twitch has seen a surge of Pokemon content and subsequent viewership, so it’s not too surprising its happening. Notably, beyond Gary’s awesome event, there was another charity event held this past Sunday that raised over $260k – they opened a 1st ed. Fossil box and a 1st ed. Gym Challenge box (I believe @acebren was actually the one that sold them the Gym Challenge box lol). They had 100,000 concurrent viewers throughout nearly the entire broadcast.

Worth noting that most are fairly new to the hobby, so some mistakes and misinformation will likely arise. Something cool to look forward to nonetheless and bring in some new eyes!

2 Likes

HAHA yep that was my Challenge box, no Zard inside :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I can’t wait for all prices quoted to be for PSA 10 prices instead of mint raw :wink:

2 Likes

That definitely irks me. What’s worse is that a good majority believe those prices and then are going to try to buy those cards and packs.
I have seen Charlie’s videos talking/joking about card addiction, but he can afford to blow this money. It’s cool to see all these new folks jump on the bandwagon. Hopefully we get more folks to join the hobby long term due to this exposure.

1 Like

It’s great to see so much exposure for the hobby these days. If this is how much people are watching and opening on public channels etc it’ll be really interesting to see how much it jumps even more for the 25th anniversary.

1 Like

Last night I was watching one of the participants, Trainwreckstv, browse card prices on a website. He had it set to PSA 10, and was basing potential pulls off of that as he talked to the audience.

1 Like

And not only will the cards pulled likely not get PSA 10, but even if they do they won’t come back for like 10 months lol. So the current PSA 10 prices are more or less irrelevant.

Buckle up cause there’s a 1st ed. Neo Gen box being opened lmao.

Here’s the lineup for anyone curious:

Streamer Box
Ludwig Legendary Collection
TrainwrecksTV Unlimited Base Set
ConnorEatsPants 1st ed. Team Rocket
MoistCritical 1st ed. Gym Challenge
xQc 1st ed. Jungle
Pokimane Aquapolis
Mizkif 1st ed. Neo Genesis

1 Like

@simorno, If they pull the Lugia (1st ed or Crystal) they are going to flip their shit and say it’s $20k or $80k.

1 Like

tbh this looks like it’s going to be 85% cringe people who don’t understand what they’re pulling screaming at the camera doing the clickbait thumbnail face

something something all exposure is good so you can’t dislike anything something something stop being negative this is good for the hobby something something

6 Likes

Its like watching an instagram model doing a gym workout, its click worthy but annoying as fuck as there is no real passion there just a front for money.

They are quoting a 1st Neo Genesis box at $70k? Geez

1 Like

in a world where base unlimited or jungle 1st edition go for >30k, 70k for neo genesis is a bargain lol

1 Like

Charlie aka moistcr1tikal aka penguinz0 has been doing Pokemon content for months now. Even if he is still lacking some knowledge and is sadly quoting PSA 10 prices for raw cards most of the time, I don’t doubt that his passion is authentic.

Can’t speak for any of the others, though.

5 Likes

Yeah he has been big on Yugioh and Pokemon now for a while. Out of all of the streams during “poke week”, he will 100% be the most authentically interested. He has already bought packs in other breaks (like A-Drive and Paymoneywubby). He doesnt even sell most of his cards so he is def in it for the collection.

1 Like

I was thinking about this since my last post. They might know more than we give them credit for. This is all largely a bid for content/viewers/subscribers, so it could be they intentionally look at and deal in PSA 10 prices to help generate hype. They’re mentioning this event all the time leading up to it, so it might just be a calculated move on their part.

They very well could know more than I give them credit for, but I’m cynical here because I hate the clickbait overreaction overexaggeration oversexualized(in the case of women) amplified loud in your face culture that youtube and twitch have. I understand that it gets the most views and I understand that it gets the most money, but I hate seeing it an I actively avoid all creators who partake

5 Likes

Pokimane opening Aquapolis. Hilarious. I’m sure she’ll be very well informed on the background and value of one of the rarest, more unknown/niche sets ever released.

Pokemon becoming as popularized as it has over the past few months has the primary benefit of increasing the value of our cards. But it also has its drawbacks. I think one of the more irritating ones is seeing people with little connection, passion, and/or understanding of the hobby being able to afford these incredible items that many of us could only ever dream of possessing, and then they stream themselves popping them open, spreading misinformation, and getting all their money back from donations. There are probably a lot of people on this forum with a lot of long-time love for these cards who would kill to own and/or open these items, but it just isn’t financially feasible. Kind of a salty comment on my end, I’m well aware, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels that way. We are often quick to criticize those who whine that they can’t afford to purchase the cards they want, but when stuff like “PokeWeek” happens I start to sympathize with them and hop aboard the salt train myself.

(Must admit that I do like Ludwig and Mizkif though lol.)

3 Likes

YouTube in a nutshell.

2 Likes