Metroid Collection

Simple format for this, all games are in release order with pictures of the games and info on my pieces and the games, as well as any purchase info on the item (if I can provide it) and a bit of my thoughts of each game. At the end of the post I will have a section dedicated to my future plans for my collection. Thanks for looking!

July 22nd, 2021 Update:
Added more pieces and images to “Extras,” as well as fixed general typos. Added all variants needed regardless of status within collection.

August 29th, 2021 Update:
Added a few more pieces and updated image and info.

Metroid
(JPN: August 6th, 1986 NA: August 1987)

Three-screw variant

Purchase Price:
Three Screw NES: 2015-2016, $15
Five Screw NES: No Data
Classic Series NES: No Data
Famicom Disk System: No Data
Classic NES Series: No Data
Famicom Mini: No Data
Completion Status:
Three Screw NES: missing Box, Manual, and Inserts
Five Screw NES: 0%
Classic Series NES: 0%
Famicom Disk System: 0%
Classic NES Series: 0%
Famicom Mini: 0%

One of my favorite games in the series, while difficult to play these days with the lack of maps or instruction on where to go, once you have an idea on where to go and what to do you start to become lost (in a good way) in exploration. While very simple, this game is best played with a guide and thoroughly enjoyed with discussion with friends. It has been re-released for the GBA, an example of the GBA re-release is not present in my collection at this time.

Metroid II: Return of Samus
(NA: November 1991 JPN: January 2nd, 1992)

Purchase Price:
Normal Release: ~2016, $25
Player’s Choice: No Data
JPN: No Data
Completion Status:
Normal Release: missing Box, Manual, and Inserts
JPN: 0%

A poorly aged game with a cult following. It was released first in North America, later being released in Japan. While playing the game can be difficult because it does suffer from the same issues as Metroid on the NES, you can easily find the fun in getting lost and exploring the vast cavern system. You are let out on the planet SR-388 to hunt and exterminate all the metroids due to how dangerous they are. This game is more of a time waster and the metroids are just missile sponges, most of the time you spend your time playing hunting for missiles and the metroids than you do spend it fighting metroids. This is the beginning of a massive story and the basis for the story of Super Metroid.

Super Metroid
(JPN: March 19th, 1994 NA: April 18th, 1994)

Purchase Price:
SNES Normal Release: No Data
SNES Player’s Choice: No Data
Super Famicom: No Data
Completion Status:
SNES Normal Release: 0%
SNES Player’s Choice: 0%
Super Famicom: 0%

Considered to be a masterpiece and to some as the best game of all time, Super Metroid is a classic that the first time experiencing is a special kind of magic. While the controls and Samus’ floaty feel can be difficult to adjust to when it comes to precise platforming, the game is enjoyable to play. The absolute enjoyment of getting lost and discovering secrets builds the player’s senses on the alien world and builds Samus’ strength as a reward. It brings welcomed improvements, such as a map and clearly stated mission. The ending is iconic within gaming and the story, while simple and based more on the environment, is incredibly interesting. To keep it short, Super Metroid is incredibly easy to find and play and you should play it. This game is currently not present in a physical form in my collection.

Metroid Fusion ★(NA: November 17th, 2002 JPN: February 14th, 2003)

Purchase Price:
JPN: June 23rd, 2021, $98
NA: 2015, $5
Completion Status:
JPN: missing Insert
NA: missing Box, Manual, and Inserts

This game is my favorite Metroid game and my favorite game of all time. Samus gets infected with the deadly X-Parasite, nearly losing her life, a vaccine created from the cells of the infant metroid Samus spared in Metroid II saves her life. In order to save her life sections of her suit were surgically removed and stored on a research facility, which then experiences a mysterious explosion. As Samus arrives on the station, she soon discovers that the infected pieces of her suit have now become copies of her when she was at full power, now fully weakened, the strongest warrior in the galaxy must cower and hide from herself. Samus has a far more heavier and agile feel, a much tighter feel than that of Super Metroid. While this game is not categorized or even believed to be a horror game, there is a terrifying feeling as you encounter the mimics that are the SA-X. While extremely linear and it being difficult to become lost as you would in a game as Super Metroid, it is a fantastic change of pace that suits the story. While this may be one of the harder ‘main line’ games to find and play within the series, I feel as though playing the difficulties to do so are worth it.

Metroid Prime
(NA: November 17th, 2002 JPN: February 23rd, 2003)

Purchase Price:
Normal Edition: 2016, $5
Target: No Data
Prime + Prime 2 Demo Disc: Apart of $2,000 Purchase
Prime + Wind Waker: No Data
JPN Wii Motion: No Data
Completion Status:
Normal Edition: 100%
Player’s Choice: 0%
Target: 0%
Prime + Prime 2 Demo Disc: 100% SEALED
Prime + Wind Waker: 0%
JPN Wii Motion: 0%

While many fans and non-fans enjoy this game, to the same level as Super Metroid, I just cannot find myself enjoying this game. It features a very clunky control scheme. As a fair warning, it plays very differently from nearly all first person games you have encountered. While the world is beautiful and vast, it is only a disappointing fact that the developers make an enjoyable world frustrating when you reach the end and reach a collectathon before reaching the final area. While I may not enjoy it, no doubt many people have and will.

Metroid Zero Mission
(NA: February 9th, 2004 JPN: May 27th, 2004)

Purchase Price:
NA: No Data
Completion Status:
NA: 0%

No example of this game within my collection.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
(NA: November 15th, 2004 JPN: May 26th, 2005)
!CANNOT CONFIRM OR DENY THE EXISTENCE OF PLAYER’S CHOICE RELEASE!

Purchase Price:
Normal Edition: July, 2021, $60
JPN Wii Motion: No Data
Completion Status:
Normal Edition: missing Manual and Inserts
Player’s Choice: 0%
JPN Wii Motion

I have not played this game to offer my thoughts on it.

Metroid Prime Pinball
(NA: October 24th, 2005 JPN: January 19th, 2006)

Purchase Price:
NA: No Data
Completion Status:
NA: 0%

I have no example of this game within my collection.

Metroid Prime Hunters + Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt (Demo)
(NA: (D) November 21st, 2004/March 20th 2006 JPN: (D) No Demo/June 1st, 2006)

Purchase Price:
Demo: June 16th, 2021, $19.50
NA Full Release: No Data
Completion Status:
Demo: 100%
NA Full Release: 0%

I do not have an example of the full release in my collection so I cannot offer my thoughts on it. The demo is different in content from the full release.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
(NA: August 27th, 2007 JPN: March 6th, 2008)

Purchase Price:
NA: 2017, $5
Completion Status:
NA: missing Manual and Inserts

I enjoy the story and the control scheme is nice. Not much I can say.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
(NA: August 24th, 2009 JPN: Never Released)

Purchase Price:
Normal Edition: No Data
Collector’s Edition: No Data
Completion Status:
Normal Edition: 0%
Collector’s Edition: 0%

View previous thoughts. I have no example of this within my collection.

Metroid: Other M
(NA: August 31st, 2010 JPN: September 2nd, 2010)

Purchase Price:
NA: 2016, Free from GameStop
Completion Status:
NA: 100%

In a different age I would have told you this was my favorite game, but time has tarnished the enjoyment I had. Horrific 2D controls in a 3D environment and odd story choices. This was the only game I had achieved 100% completion on item collection on, ever. Sadly, while the story can be enjoyable, you will experience a sour taste, especially when you link the frustration of the absolute garbage controls and terrible forcing of motion control on the player. A poor game I got for a good price.

Metroid Prime Federation Force
(NA: August 15th, 2016 JPN: August 25th, 2016)

Purchase Price:
Copy 1: August 15th, 2016, $39.99
Copy 2: July 15th, 2021, $28.99
Completion Status:
Copy 1: missing Game (lost)
Copy 2: 100%

If you know of the hatred towards Other M, Federation Force suffers the same, yet it’s only circumstance of Nintendo’s inability to read a room. Other M’s hatred is earned, while for Federation Force it is given. Truly, Federation Force is a fantastic game, an incredibly fun game that has led to lots of laughter and smiles between friends and a time waster during school lunch. I give this game as much praise as Fusion, but I will note, it does not play like a Metroid game and is more of its own idea, one that I think suits the Prime subseries fantastically. If you were to ask many Metroid fans, they will hiss and snap about this game, its announcement at the time was poorly done, dur to the fact it was the first game in 6 years and was a spin-off. Ignore the hate, play it.

Metroid: Samus Returns
(WW: September 15th, 2017)

Purchase Price:
Normal Edition: No Data
NA Special Edition: September 15th, 2017, $49.99
JPN Normal Edition: No Data
JPN Special Edition: No Data
EU Special Edition: No Data
Completion Status:
Normal Edition: 0%
NA Special Edition: missing Game (lost)
JPN Normal Edition: 0%
JPN Special Edition: 0%
EU Special Editon: 0%

A remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus, an incredible remake-reimagining by Yoshio Sakamoto of the original GameBoy game, which is also the only game series producer Yoshio Sakamoto was never involved in. A fantastic game worth the price it commands these days, but I will say, the fact that the hardest gameplay mode (Fusion Mode) is tied to the expensive Baby Metroid amiibo is a shame.

Metroid Dread
(WW: October 8th, 2021)

Purchase Price:
NA Normal Edition: October 8th, 2021 $59.99
NA Special Edition: October 10th, 2021, $125
JPN Normal Edition: No Data
JPN Special Edition: DELAYED $99.95 (¥10,978)
Completion Status:
NA Normal Edition: 100%
NA Special Edition: 100%
JPN Normal Edition: 0%
JPN Special Edition: Delayed

Dread is a really pretty game, visually, one of the more colorful games in the series. Dread is also a fantastic addition and closer to the original 2D story. Certainly one of the more harder games within the series, and Fusion is known to be brutal at times, and I think Dread certainly blows Fusion’s difficulty out of the water. I spent most of my time lost, and I can see that being frustrating as this game does not really give you direct orders on where to go and sometimes offers no help. Certainly, the way the game plays is more inline with Fusion’s and Samus Returns’ controls while the world seems to be built closer to Super Mertroid’s. The story that is there doesn’t interfere with the gameplay and actually supports actions that happen within the game, my only thing with the story is that it doesn’t occur as much as I would like and story elements sometimes show up at some of the oddest times. I really enjoyed playing the game and recommend it for people who are interested in the series, you don’t need to understand the story of the series to get into it and is much more forgiving at times.

Extras:

Metroid Prime Bonus Bundle GameCube (NA)

Purchase Price: August 2021, $2,000
Completion Status: 100% NIB/SEALED

Probably the most expensive thing I’ve ever purchased personally. Considered a rare GameCube variation, although it is just a regular Platinum GameCube with a copy of the Metroid Prime + Prime 2 Echoes Bonus Disc inserted with this Metroid Prime slipcover over the console’s box. It was crushed in the mail, the seller did a fantastic job of packing it and was overall a FANTASTIC seller and person, USPS just crushed the box and all I can do it take the time to restore it (which I will post here later). It doesn’t show very well in images but it has a metallic foil over the slipcover that has a very beautiful effect in person.

New Nintendo 3DS XL Samus Edition (NA)

Purchase Price: June, 2020, $500
Completion Status: 100% (image missing manual)

I love this console and use it as my main 3DS for play NA games. A beautiful two-tone console with that beautiful Samus graphic, with the Screw Attack symbol on the bottom as well. I bought this used, and I regret losing the money, but I could never regret owning this console. This image cannot show you just how beautiful this console is, and the price it commands is one I whole-heartedly agree as an appropriate price. I hope to purchase another console and a Japanese system to swap the shells and make a Japanese version of this console in the future.

Amiibo

Opened:
Samus (SSB), June 8th, 2017, birthday gift
Zero Suit Samus (damaged), ~2016, $15
Zero Suit Samus, Autumn 2020, $5
Samus (MSR) - NOT IN COLLECTION
Infant Metroid - NOT IN COLLECTION
Ridley, October 8th, 2021, $15 (SEALED)
Dark Samus, October 8th, 2021, $15 (SEALED)
Samus (MD), DELAYED
E. M. M. I., DELAYED

Dog said “mmm chew toy” and ate Zero Suit Samus.

Jakks Pacific Chozo Power Suit Set

Purchase Price: ~2019, $20
Completion Status: Sealed

Metroid Samus Returns Keychain

Purchase Price: September 15th, 2017, Free
Completion Status: missing keyring due to damage, otherwise 100%

Metroid Samus Returns GameStop preorder bonus. It is Samus in her Varia Suit as she appears in the exclusive Super GameBoy + GameBoy Color palette for Metroid II: Return of Samus.

Collection Plans/Goals:

- At least a copy of every Metroid game in North America  
- Complete copies of every Metroid game in North America (all variations)  
- At least a copy of every Metroid game in Japanese  
- Complete copies of every Metroid game in Japanese (all variations)  
- Copies of the Metroid Manga  
- Metroid: Other M Art Folio  
- All Metroid Amiibo  
- All Metroid Limited Consoles (Complete in box in functioning order + GameCube Jewels, any region)
20 Likes

Awesome stuff! Metroid is my favorite game series :grin:

1 Like

Love the retro stuff and Metroid is one of the best games ever, great collection, impressive.

1 Like

Thank you! I really love the series as well, more than Pokémon, I just don’t talk about it as much lol what’s your favorite game in the series?

Thank you very much! I also like the older games, or at least the pixel art ones because the art is so nice and the music is usually fantastic as well. Do you have a favorite game in the series?

1 Like

This is a super sick collection! I’ve always loved the aesthetic and theme of the Metroid series. Also, I doubt it still exists but Hunters used to have an online multiplayer arena mode that was super fun!

1 Like

Yeah! Metroid! Played and completed all of them and just 100%ed Samus Returns. Favorite game series possibly.

1 Like

The meme king! :weary::weary::weary::weary: Thank you for the compliment, high praise from you.

The multiplayer is still playable through the DNS exploit! The exploit is also used for Mario Kart and Pokémon. I haven’t played the multiplayer yet and can’t wait to whenever I finally get a copy.

1 Like

Damn, you’re just hardcore. I could never, but… have you gotten the secret message in Fusion? Absolutely love this series. I’m assuming you’re as excited for Dread as I am?

To be fair Samus Returns is by far the easiest one to 100% thanks thanks to the map and Aeion abilities. I don’t think I have 100%ed any of the other games because I don’t like using guides to find everything, so I just prefer to improve my completion and time record each time. And no, I kind of suck at shinesparking so I have never seen that message. I might attempt it on my run through of Fusion before Dread comes.

I have Dread on pre-order with the two Amiibos. I didn’t go for the collectors edition because I actually want to play it instead of keeping it sealed - haha.

Other M is pretty easy to find all the items, but sometimes GETTING the items can be the issue. Fusion and Zero Mission are definitely harder because of the shinesparking and waiting until the end. Nevermind if you play them on original hardware.

I ordered the amiibo as well, couldn’t miss them like I did with the Samus Returns amiibo. I got the special edition because I’m definitely going to open it and look at the art book. Same way with my Samus Returns one, opened to play the game and listen to the CD.

bump! expensive update, seen in the main post

Nice collection! I love seeing some of the retro stuff. And I’m one of those people who enjoyed Prime. It’s still one of my favorite games and I would happily play it again. Collecting all the data scans somehow satiated my gremlin brain.

2 Likes

@azulryu, I stopped playing prime years ago an hour or so into the game, I couldn’t get around the tank controls but I’ve been playing it every now and then recently and I’ve slowly come to enjoy the game. Certainly wouldn’t put it over Fusion myself, but boy have I been having fun with it. And thank you for the compliments, plan on getting more of the older games before I get priced out, and I STILL have more variants I keep finding to add to the list lol

And scanning stuff helps satisfy the goblin collecting brains out there

1 Like

Just discovered your thread - huge Metroid fan myself! Metroid Fusion is by FAR my favorite, too. Hoping Dread lives up to the quality of the series. So far things are promising. :blush:

1 Like

@inasuma, I had the bar low for Dread just so I wouldn’t be disappointed and so far it has obliterated my expectations and I am so beyond hype. The 2nd trailer really did a number on me LOL Nice to see another Fusion fan out there! I’ve noticed in the last few years that Fusion has been moving up on people’s list of favorite Metroid games and rightfully so. It’s a fantastic game.

So Dread is out now. Did you pick it up? :grin:

I’ve loved it so far.

2 Likes

I have! I’ve also finished it and loved it so far, I’m waiting for a copy to come in before I update my post though

3 Likes

Game was so good, but some of the Shinespark puzzles are a complete nightmare.

1 Like

Great collection. Always nice to find another metroid fan.

1 Like