Meowth Matchprint Up for Auction

Just wanted to let people know as it rarely comes up, a Matchprint Character card is up for auction from TCA Gaming: CGC 9 MINT Meowth 121/165 MATCHPRINT Test Print Sample Pokemon Card CS1-001 | eBay

Have these cards ever been in an actual auction before?

4 Likes

There was a BGS 8.5 matchprint manhole at Heritage back in 2020.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/trading-cards/pokemon-match-print-manhole-for-position-only-expedition-set-trading-card-wizards-of-the-coast-2002-bgs-nm-mt-85/a/7236-92316.s

2 Likes

Any predictions what this’ll end at?

Hard to know because they sell so infrequently. I might guess between $2,500-$3,000.

That’s a for position only manhole pokemon card. A matchprint doesn’t have a pokemon back it has a white back with matchprint on it. Or have I been wrong all this time?

2 Likes

I believe you are correct

1 Like

That is correct. I think BGS labels for position only cards with Matchprint for some reason.

1 Like

I believe BGS labels it as a matchprint because the term refers to the printing process (i.e., a prepress proof of a card), rather than the text on the card (i.e., “For Position Only”). All FPO cards can be considered matchprints, but not all matchprint cards are FPOs.

2 Likes

Anyones guess at this point. Impossible to find price data especially anything recent. I just picked up that charmeleon with the misspell in the title (so it was a miracle I even found it) and my offer was a complete shot in the dark.

I think there are a lot of collectors that wait patiently for something like this though so if it gets the right eyes, I believe there are people willing to dish out serious dough. Items that are too rare like this can also have the upside of a lot of people who’ve been waiting forever to get one and who know this might never come up again in their life or maybe wait another 10 years. Could be as little 2 people with the funds competing; all it takes.

But if it doesn’t do super great, I think it’ll be people not realizing one was up for auction. This was so random in TCA Gamings’s consignment. He was showing these cards you see all the time and then just pulls out this Matchprint in the middle of the video. It didn’t have it in the title either.

2 Likes

I was very wrong. Ended at $910.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266015988787

2 Likes

Wow, I wasn’t watching it, I probably would have bid at that price

7 Likes

Now I feel like I kinda overpaid for my Charmeleon Matchprint ($3500) the other day.

I think it is safe to say that you overpaid when compared to this single auction. That said, what does “overpaying” really mean when there are so few copies that exist?

7 Likes

Very true. I can also see something like that doing better at Heritage. This was slipped into a TCA auction block and I don’t think even got so much as an Instagram post for promotion.

1 Like

Charmeleon would’ve gone for more than Meowth imo.

1 Like

Me too. I was working when the auction closed or else I probably would’ve bid for it that low.

Agreed. It’s a long term hold for sure.

1 Like

This is back up for auction. Looks like it went unpaid. Ends Sunday evening: CGC 9 MINT Meowth 121/165 MATCHPRINT Test Print E Reader Sample Pokemon Card 001 | eBay

2 Likes

That’s shocking to me. I felt that $910 was a steal for this card.

1 Like

Probably a low feedback buyer who didn’t really want it.