Meowth Matchprint Up for Auction

Hi guys, I’m updating the thread since I received the card today.
Since last year, only 1 matchprint trainer was sold for $1000 and except the other $2000 unsold trainers, only a mew have been listed for $10000 from what I know.
It might explain why Meowth jumped from $900 to $1700.
I spend the last 2 years trying to understand what makes the value of a card and knowing the rarity, history and how atypical this card is, I’m confident to say I didn’t overpay the card. Proof is I love it so much it might never escape from my collection.
Even the $3500 for the loose charmeleon seems fair to me.
I own sample, FPO and matchprint cards now, all these cards are so niche and may always be. But one thing I think is certain, on the vintage market where rarity and popularity do not vary much, only knowledge is growing, providing huge potential for rare niche cards.
By the way, do you know if TCA saved a full set for his personal collection? It’s half of the market so it’s worth knowing this :joy:
Thank you all for this amazing forum,
Andy (Poképrix)

6 Likes

I own the Charmeleon.

I don’t believe TCA saved a full set - I think he only saved 5-6 according to one of his YT videos.

There was also a Blastoise that sold on Heritage in July for $3125 (though the sale should be taken with a grain of salt as heritage is the place all cards like this go to die IMO. They never do well there.)

There’s a Magikarp & Alakazam on PWCC fixed listings.

Congrats on the pick up!

1 Like

No, Rusty broke up his set in 2017. He had already sold a Pikachu and both Charizard years ago, and when he sold his remaining two Charizard to charchu near the start of 2017 for 1k USD each (which broke up his set), I immediately contacted him to buy the remaining Pikachu for 1k USD as well. So I own one of the two Pikachu, and justinator has the other one in his Pikachu collection.

And congrats on the pickup of the Matchprint Meowth. I personally really like the Matchprint cards, as well as all the other Pokémon prototype cards. :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Thank you Leo and Quuador for the congrats and the missing information.
I’m so glad those cards have owners like you, still connected with the hobby, and not forgotten in a invest chest.
I saw the PWCC listings of $10000.
I guess it’s yet another rare/niche kind of cards where the market is stuck for a long time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes - I’m a believer in these types of cards though, especially sample set. I think it’s going to take a while but when the hobby is old enough, there will be the right set of circumstances that will get them out of their niche too rare for their own good zone.

Matchprint I can understand why it hasn’t gotten more attention but Sample I’m surprised hasn’t gotten noticed more and taken off in terms of price.

It might be out-topic but all these cards are not official and not illustration exclusive, it may lower the price and interest.
I personally bought Machamp and Machoke recently for less than 2k each and I don’t feel robbed, I love the translation mistakes on it.
A Pichu was recently sold for more than 3k while the “no sample” copy was sold for less than 1k. The value hides in details.
All these test/demo cards are way cheaper than Japanese exclusive early historical cards and illustration context cards because, let’s be honest, details are boring for most people.
Test/demo cards are meant to have at least one big "re"print, if they were art exclusive, it would be a completly different story!

It’s good thinking but honestly I just think it’s lack of exposure and being too rare for it’s own good. Matchprint and Sample suffer from that concept. I don’t think they need exclusive art - sample set has plenty going for it (different translation/incorrect back/the word “sample”/artwork from a main set that people love/collectible 10 card “set”/not for resale/forbidden goods from friction of WOTC and media factory/from an employee only event).

If pokemon continues to grow and be successful, over time, it would make sense that these niche historical prototypes will become more mainstream. I think it has a lot of potential. The hobby needs to mature more. Bottom line, give it time.

You got a steal getting two sample PSA 10 cards at under 2k and you should pat yourself on the back as I think that’s a smart long term play aside from just being very cool to own them.