Matte variations of Base Set cards? Is it a thing...

Hi guys :blush: I’m Pokeretro, this is my first post on here - awesome forum!

I just noticed a massive difference in the Holo pattern of my Venusaur… one you can barely see the Holo, the other is super clear

Is this a print variant? Does anyone care?

Hopefully the video link below works!

imgur.com/gallery/8wGPyGX

First one is shadowless and the other is regular unlimited. Yes, this is something we care a lot about!

It’s not just a matter of Shadowless vs Unlimited.

To answer your question @pokeretro , yes, some Base Set holos have a “matte” holo that doesn’t really sparkle.

It should also be pointed out that all holos vary to some extent in terms of how sparkly they are, just like there is a range in colors print (not just Shadowless vs Unlimited for which the difference in colors is clear as day, but even within Shadowless and Unlimited there is a range).

6 Likes

Thanks for the response! cool to know, adds a whole new dimension to collecting!

And to think it’s only the beginning. Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

Just wait until you fall down the rabbit hole of “Swirl” collections haha

2 Likes

Some people think they’re a huge premium, I don’t see it as such an increase but definitely a fun find!

Example: this dragonite
www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Fossil-1st-Edition-Dragonite-NO-SPARKLE-ERROR-PSA-10-Very-rare-SEE-PICS-/174290565796?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

1 Like

As stated above they are both printed differently from different sets. The right one is a reprint of the left one, where they changed color patterns and layout completely