Different holographic patterns for BW era standard EX cards?

I noticed that some of my EX cards from black and white seem to have a different holographic pattern than others. I didn’t think much of it because the cards all seemed authentic, but then I found two copies of Keldeo EX that have different holographic patterns which makes me think one is fake. Are the cards in the first picture deck variants so they have a different holo pattern? Or is that the only real holo pattern and the rest are fake?

These cards have a holo pattern that makes diagonal lines across the card

These cards have a holo pattern that makes vertical lines across the card

I can’t give you a 100% answer but I remember noticing the Keldeo/Ray deck EXs has different holo too when I first got it. They should both be real.

2 Likes

@miraclegro is right. The EX cards found in the Battle Decks (Keldeo/Rayquaza, Black Kyurem/White Kyurem, Lugia/Ho-oh, M Charizard/M Blastoise) have a foiling pattern known as “Sheen Foil”, which is a diagonal foil akin to that of holo rare cards from the XY sets. The cards found in these decks are reprints of set cards, which have a vertical foil pattern. This is why you have two different foil patterns on seemingly the same Keldeo EX: the Keldeo in the first picture has a sheen holofoil pattern and is from the Keldeo EX battle deck, whereas the Keldeo in the second picture has a vertical holofoil pattern and was pulled from a Boundaries Crossed booster pack.

All the cards you have shown are undoubtedly real :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks, pretty interesting that no one really seems to differentiate the two

1 Like

You’re right. I attribute that to the low dollar value of these cards, the subtlety of the holofoil difference, and the likelihood that most people either own one version or the other and not both.

Welcome to the world of master set collecting :blush:

1 Like