EX sets 'Reverse Holos'

Just had someone on reddit ask about the EX set ‘Reverse Holos’. Since my response took a while to make due to searching for example images and such, I figured I’ll share it here as well for anyone interested:

The above is indeed correct: they are the ‘Reverse Holos’ of some EX sets.

Some things to add:

• Most of the ‘Reverse Holos’ in the EX sets have a different holofoil pattern than the actual Holofoil Rares.
  • Not all of the EX set Reverse Holos have the logo in the bottom-right corner of the artwork, although most sets do.
  • Some of the ‘Reverse Holos’ have Golden Names and/or holo Rarity Symbols.
  • The Holofoil Rares are also available as ‘Reverse Holo’, in which case the name and/or rarity symbol are usually holo.

Here is a breakdown of all the EX sets:

The ones with just ordinary Reverse Holos like we all know:

• EX Ruby & Sapphire
  • EX Sandstorm
  • EX Dragon
  • EX Team Aqua vs Team Magma

The EX sets which have a holofoil Rare/Uncommon/Common instead of Reverse Holo Rare/Uncommon/Common:

Greetz,
Quuador

9 Likes

Figured I’d add to this thread since I am a EX series reverse collector. The details of the rules for the reverse holo patterns are as follows.

The first 4 sets are ordinary reverse holos; the rest of the sets instead each have its unique holofoil pattern inside the art frame. Rare (or holo rare) reverse holos will have special adornments.

Traits of reverse holo cards from EX era:

• Stamp on bottom: For Hidden Legends/Firered & Leafgreen, a stamp appears on rare reverse holos
  • Silver Star Rarity Symbol: Instead of the regular star, rares or holo rares may have the symbol replaced by a silver star like those you would see for ex cards
  • Set Stamp: Set stamp (the logo for the set) appears inside art frame. For some sets, there is a normal (nearly completely white/silver) and colored stamp (filled in with the set color). For example, in EX emerald, regular reverse holos have EX Emerald stamped in silver, but rare or above reverses have it stamped in green. For other sets, the stamp may only have a variation whether the stamp is holo or not with no change in color, depending on the rarity of the card.
  • Gold Name/HP: Name and HP of the card are printed in gold (again, depending on rarity).
  • Pokemon holo instead of background: When delta species are introduced, most holo delta species cards have the pokemon in holo instead of the background (common for regular cards). However, only some delta species reverse holos have this trait.

Here is a table of which rules apply to which sets:

Set Stamp on bottom Silver Star Rarity Symbol Normal Set Stamp Special Set Stamp Gold Name/HP Pokemon holo instead of background
EX Hidden Legends Rare or above. Type Symbol(s) No No No No No
EX Firered & Leafgreen Rare or above. Pokeball Rare or above No No No No
EX Team Rocket Returns No Rare or above Holo Colored. Rare or above Rare or above No
EX Deoxys No Rare or above Holo Colored. Rare or above Rare or above No
EX Emerald No Rare or above Holo Colored. Rare or above Rare or above No
EX Unseen Forces No Rare or above Holo Colored. Rare or above Rare or above No
EX Delta Species No Rare or above Non-holo Holo. Rare or above Rare or above Holo rare delta species only
EX Legend Maker No Rare or above Non-holo No Rare or above No
EX Holon Phantoms No Holo Rare or above Non-holo Holo rare or above Holo rare or above Holo rare delta species only
EX Crystal Guardians No Rare or above Non-holo Rare or above Rare or above Delta species only
EX Dragon Frontiers No Holo Rare or above Non-holo Holo rare or above Holo rare or above Delta species only
EX Power Keepers No Holo Rare or above Non-holo No Holo rare or above No

Trivia:

• Out of the first 4 sets, only in Ruby & Sapphire does the reverse foil extends slightly into the art frame so there is a thin foil border overlaid on top of the artwork inside the frame.
  • The reverse holo pattern for EX Legend Maker is just the normal holo pattern for any regular non-reverse holo rare card during the era
  • The true reverse holo pattern for EX Unseen Forces can only be seen at a particular angle under strong light. Try tilting the card left and right to see the 3D effect.
  • If a pokemon in EX Hidden Legends has two types, both types will appear in the stamp at the bottom.
  • The reverse foil pattern for EX Holon Phantoms and EX Dragon Frontier is the same
  • The reverse foil pattern of EX Delta Species and EX Power Keepers is the same
11 Likes

I am a huge fan of the stamped EX era reverse holos. That is a good collection goal, perhaps I will pursue it.