Unlimited Base Set Booster Variance

Hey all, apologies if this has been beaten to death but I bought my younger brother 3 base set packs recently. They arrived today and he managed to pull two holos but the shading of the packs had me a little concerned. The cards themselves were fine and places correctly but the holos have a weird texture to them. Boosters Is this shading common amongst base set packs?

I wouldn’t worry. There are definitely a wide variety of shadings to base booster packs because of the many print runs they had. I have pulled base packs straight from sealed booster boxes ranging from very dark to very light.

1 Like

I opened a base set box and
Attachment Deleted
is what all the boosters looked like, outline off on “Trading Card Game” and a lot of pink/magenta ink in the print. So it’s most likely like @pokemonrevolution say, from different print runs.

2 Likes

I don’t have experience with the packs, but when I look at all the Base Pikachu cards I have I see A LOT of variety in color, ranging from very light yellow, to very dark yellow (almost orange). The Base Set was kinda their test run and therefore a lot of misprints / variety can be found in the individual cards.

I think it’s very likely that the booster packs are no different in terms of color variety.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Thanks all, you have put my mind to rest. The shading difference does seem to be similar to the orange/yellow difference that appears quite often. I noticed that the holos inside were quite warped so perhaps some of the shading difference is due to sunlight or heat exposure? Seems my brothers pack opening luck is already far better than mine. Pulled a Zapdos and Mewtwo from 3 packs!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely…There are even variations in the font size of Trading Card Game.

1 Like

Yeah they are totally okay.

They usually range from the darker packs, with a larger “Trading Card Game” to the very light color packs and smaller “Trading Card Game.”

I personally like the former packs a lot more, but they literally make no difference aha apart from the 4th print packs with the different foil tops.

I was just today considering a post on exactly the same topic. I’ve recently bought a number of base set booster packs, and was initially concerned with the variety in shading and font. Some seem lighter, particularly in the 'O’s in ‘Pokemon’, and the font is different in size and style in ‘Trading Card Game’ and ‘Additional Game Cards’.

I was initially concerned that they may be fake or re-packaged, but some research put my mind at ease. It would be interesting if someone with experience of these could create a guide to the variances; I’ve looked but can’t find one anywhere.

I have one of the 4th print packs (UK version), and I hadn’t even noticed the different foil tops!