Mario/Luigi & Poncho boxes

Hello! Just making this thread to ask a question about the Mario, Luigi and poncho boxes.
I am strongly considering purchasing these boxes for my collection, these pieces would mainly be for investing (and to make my collection look a lot more thicc). Just wondering if anyone has any recent knowledge on these as I have just reentered into the more modern side of Pokémon and can not find much recent information. My questions are, do you think these would have potential for more growth in the next coming years?
Or would you recommend I just stick to my more nostalgic collecting of sealed WOTC products. My apologies if these questions sound silly, I’ve been away away from the modern side of Pokémon for quite some and am new to forums in general haha. Thank you, any advice would be appreciated as I I’m sceptical about investing this amount of money into somewhat modern.

1 Like

Buy what you like, buying something you don’t have a real attachment to for the purposes of “investing” is an easy way to have an unfulfilling collection.

21 Likes

I purchased a pair of sealed Mario/Luigi Poncho boxes for £372 in December 2019. In the last 4 months I can see eBay sales from around £400 rising up to £750 for the pair (a couple of those sales were “best offer accepted” so I can’t be specific on those prices). These were sales from the UK, Japan and Australia. If you want you can go further back and see what these boxes were selling for at the beginning of 2019/2018.

If you like the boxes, I think you should buy them. They have a lot going for them:

• Japanese exclusive
  • Out of print
  • A unique crossover with Pokemon/Mario that can’t be found elsewhere
  • Appeals to Nintendo/Mario/Luigi fans as well as Pokemon fans

I think the desire to open these boxes is also quite high as the promotional cards inside are incredibly cool and PSA 10 copies of those cards sell for a pretty penny.

If you’re buying these boxes purely for investment, that’s kind of a hard question to answer. No-one can say for certain what’s going to happen. The Pokemon card market has seen incredible growth over the last 6 months. It looks like we’re heading for worldwide recession given the current circumstances of the effects of COVID-19, so who knows what effect that will have on collectables?

I think you have to ask yourself “Would I be upset if I purchased these boxes and the market value stayed the same or decreased?”. For a lot of us, the prices of certain things are secondary. I bought these boxes because I love what they are, and I love having them in my collection.

Don’t worry about sounding silly - you don’t :blush: It is difficult for us to give advice on what to invest in though, because everybody will have different ideas and different reasoning behind those ideas. My best advice would be to stick around, browse the many useful threads on this forum, and settle on buying what makes sense to you. If you have a gut instinct on something, maybe it’s best to go for it.

3 Likes

You should add some Steam Siege to your collection if you are trying to make it look “THICC”…
On a more serious note, I and many others on this forum would tell you to buy and collect something that you truly enjoy because you will have a better grasp and more knowledge on the product.

2 Likes

www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm?itemId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.nl%2Fitm%2FPokemon-Blastoise-Plasma-Storm-137-135-PSA-9-Mint%2F193490257264%3Fhash%3Ditem2d0ceb0570%253Ag%253ALtkAAOSwnEde0879%26LH_BO%3D1

a little off topic, but this site is incredibly helpful in finding the actual selling price of best offer listings.

As for buying the boxes, buy what you like and don’t buy what you don’t like.

1 Like

I thought about that right after I’d posted :laughing: Thanks for the link!

1 Like

I recently just sold the sealed promos for 700 and 650 iirc. They should have sold listings on ebay.

2 Likes

Thankfully I only paid £15 GBP for each sealed box when they came out. On hindsight I should of bought more!

The Lego/Mario/Nintendo crossover looks like the next piece which will do well as an investment.

2 Likes

That Lego set certainly has potential but the cost to entry is a lot steeper this time around!

2 Likes

www.elitefourum.com/t/successful-collectors-just-got-lucky/28477/1

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s response, i really appreciate it! I have been offered both Mario & Luigi sealed boxes and a rayquaza pika sealed box for $1,227USD. Think i may make the leap as these boxes are tickling my fancy and if i wait any longer they’ll probably be to much $$ for me. :blush: Thanks everyone @fourthstartcg ,@goldcrest ,@electrodude ,@thymeee ,@subf ,@0ean ,@melchior ,@buckna ,@teamrocketop ,

2 Likes

These are great collection pieces, for both investment and unique. Loved the collaboration.

1 Like

Just be sure to keep those corners sharp and the seal sealed and you’ll be alright in the long term!

My Pokémon Center/Special boxes are sitting at the bottom of a display case nicely packed and so will they remain for the next decade. Wonder what the prices will be then.

1 Like

The pic does the talking

Sorry my reply didn’t go through but the way the market is moving right now the 750 figure looks old. There are sold listings for 1500-1700 for the pair.

The only way is up! Buy now before it’s too late!

Would you keep the boxes sealed or break them open to grade the cards?

Seeing the odd PSA 10 here and there of the Mario/Luigi Cards but not many boxes.

I hope so! That would have been a great price - you can’t even get just the Mario/Luigi boxes for that price today.

Great cards that draw the eyes of cross collectors. Definitely worth buying.