Lucky Experience

My luckiest experience in Pokémon was the error evolutions booster boxes my mom got me for Christmas in 2016 I believe. Maybe 2017, I can’t remember.

Anyways, each pack I opened had 3 holos in it, plus the reverse holo!!! I was stoked and so was my mom!! I’ve never heard of this happening to anyone either. I have a huge surplus of evolutions holos because of this lol.

2 Likes

Have 2 lucky experiences to share. Once at Christmas eve my mother had bought me a tin from the HGSS era. This is probably back in 2010 or 2011. I hadn’t been collecting for years at that time but had recently gotten back into it a little bit so my mother thought it would be a great extra present for me. Out of the 3 packs in the tin I pulled a prime in every one of them. Didn’t really know my luck at first since I had never opened anything from that set or the many before that but I after looking it up online I realised my luck.

At that same period I decided to feed my nostalgia by buying a 1st ed Team Rocket booster box off eBay. Decided to open just 5 packs at first to “save” the joy for multiple days. Managed to pull 2 Dark Charizards holo and Dark Blastoise holo from those 5 packs. Later decided to open the rest and had amazing luck with my holos. Have 2 Dark Magneton holo that I’m planning to sent off to PSA soon (I’m from Denmark so I have just been storing them away in toploaders for the past 10 years). Been looking them over multiple times and I would not be surprised if at least one of them were to get a 10 (I know they are scarce and hard to grade but they look absolutely flawless with good centering, no whitening etc.)

Wish me luck and sorry for the long post :blush:

1 Like

I once bought 9 booster packs of Boundaries Crossed from a Finnish site. Instead of sending me booster packs, they sent me 9 BOOSTER BOXES. I still can’t believe that happened :grin: That’s a ridiculous loss for the store money wise when you think about it. I opened most of them because at the time I had never opened booster boxes because I was a poor student. I sold a few of them too.

Later I purchased some packs of Plasma Freeze from the same store. They sent the packs and afterward they shipped me a booster box of Plasma Freeze which I didn’t buy. Another weird wtf moment but hey, a free box!

I’ve kept buying from that store for years now and they haven’t made that kind of mistakes anymore…

6 Likes

Some time in the year 2000 I had my snotty nose pressed up against the glass display cabinet in my local card shop. I was eyeing up this non-holo Dark Magneton that was absolutely begging to be snapped up, thought it looked great.
It had a price tag of a couple quid, not much but my mum said I could get one thing and I wasn’t sure I wanted to go all in on this non-holo single. Maybe it was a bold decision but I instead I went for a crisp Team Rocket pack instead. Inside was of-course, the Holo version of that Dark Magneton :sunglasses: . I was over the moon and for about a week would tell anyone who would listen about it.

This is definitely the one that has alway stuck with me.

5 Likes

So I decided to open one 1st edition Jungle booster pack today that has sat in my collection for probably 4+ years. I don’t know what made me to decide to want to open it and it kind of felt crazy but I had the itch for a few weeks now especially after setting one of my goals for this year to collection the 1st edition Jungle set holos in PSA 9. Sorry about the poor camera work, any way the result speaks for itself!! :grin:

[video src="
1st Edition Jungle Booster Pack Opening! Vintage Pokemon TCG - YouTube"][/video]

5 Likes

[/video]
[/quote]

I love this. Congrats on your pull!

1 Like

Great luck:)

1 Like

I’ve been incredibly lucky and incredibly active last year when it comes to collecting pokemon cards.

1. My uncle ran into a guy wanting to sell a base set charizard 1st edition for $1700. I bought it and he threw in a base set 1st edition pack. I opened the pack and pulled a base set holo blastoise. Both cards graded as 9s through PSA.

2. While surfing in Ebay one night I found a complete base set 1st edition set for $1600. The guy had it listed under comics and listed it as 2nd edition (he must consider no rarity as the true 1st edition). I graded the holos and the charizard, mewtwo, venusaur, alakazam, raichu, and nidoking came back as PSA 9s. All the others were 8s.

3. I bought an Ebay listing with about 3k worth of sealed Pokemon product for $25 dollars.

4. Not Pokemon related but I found a guy selling a huge lot of sports cards last year. I asked him if he had any Pokemon cards and he said no, but I have a small box of magic cards. It ended up being about 200 Alpha magic cards in light play condition…I paid his asking price $20.

5. I bought two Topsun packs and pulled a holo charizard and a green back charizard. I also pulled a no holo dragonite error from a long pack. I pulled a gold star charizard, 1st edition shining charizard, and a shining kabutops last year. Oh, and a shadowless charizard from a blister pack! 2019 was a very lucky year for me.

4 Likes

Holy Hoothoot!! o___O

[/video]
[/quote]

I love this. Congrats on your pull![/quote]

Thank you! I don’t think there is much in the hobby that beats the feeling I just got off opening this pack and pulling the Jolteon, nostalgia, excitement and the card I really wanted!

1 Like

@whiterabbit that is some incredible luck! Did you steal a leprechaun?! Or is it your rabbits foot that brings you this crazy luck :wink:

1 Like

All reading this thread did was make me really upset I wasn’t born a few years earlier… and that I’m not American lol. However I think I’m quite lucky in the sense that most of what buy seems to boom in price even in comparison the the Pokmeon market rising in general. But I like to think that’s because I have great taste :wink:

I actually got back into the hobby late last year like right as Hidden Fates was coming out. I collect pretty much only WOTC Era, but I bought some Hidden Fates tins and pulled a Shiny Charizard and sold it ungraded for $430. Thus the addiction began.

2 Likes

Teach me senpai!!