What was your best find!

Would love to hear a few stories about people coming across great finds! Whether it be at a car boot, garage sale, buying a random bundle?
Best find I ever had was sat in my next door neighbours loft for years!
My mum got talking to her and just happened to mention me collecting a few cards again and she pulls down a great condition base set and team rocket set from her sons old collection!
Best off she refused to take any sort of payment for them!
Rest assured she’ll be getting a nice little Christmas hamper!

2 Likes

$25 for a brand new Epson Perfection V550, i love him

5 Likes

I bought an EX Dragon booster box off a Poketuber in 2013, the price wasn’t a deal per se but it had that deal-feel to it given how impossible they were to find at the time.

A friend of mine bought a NM unlimited Charizard locally for $50 a few weeks ago. He’s my Pokemon-apprentice, so I take great pleasure in that.

7 Likes

When I got back into collecting last year no one cared about binder quality cards. I bought all my first edition holos in the $5-$70 range. The Zards were about $100-$150 (not including Shinings.) We’re talking PSA 6-9 quality. All my holos are very clean. Main flaws are whitening. I’m very happy with my finds to say the least!

4 Likes

Would absolutely love to find any charizard at a decent price at the moment! Good on your apprentice!

1 Like

That’s great man keep up the good work!
Can only dream of ever coming across a shining zard! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@pokemonguy27 My first edition Shining Charizard I paid $700 plus shipping for thru a fellow member last year. Easy two grand plus by now. It’s PSA 7-8 quality. 6 if I’m unlucky. Still my favorite card and the most I’ve ever spent on one card. I’ve been steadily buying for over a year now averaging a few hundred a week. My collection is huge by now. Sadly I only have one of each card so I’ve yet to sell even one card. They are staying in my collection for the long haul! :blush:

2 Likes

Bought a lot of about 1000 cards on eBay for $50 from someone that seemed to have just found the cards in their house. It seemed a bit overpriced at the time, but I could barely tell there was a stormfront charizard in it so I bought it. Once I got it I checked the charizard out and it was pretty damaged so I figured it was a wash. While going through the bulk I see a base set wartortle. I check it out and it’s the evolution box error. Then I find another, and another, and another. 4 evolution box error wartortle cards in the same lot for $50 and they are all mint. Ended up grading them and got three PSA 9 and one PSA 10. Was about two or three years ago when you could still find hidden gems in cheap bulk lots on ebay. I’ve also found a gold star espeon and an umbreon in bulk lots for under $30. I think the fact that they aren’t holo meant people didn’t care to take pictures of them.

10 Likes

20$ psa 10 ana airlines moltres, ebay auction

1 Like

That’s great, I must admit I do look past bundles thinking there’s nothing decent in there!
But I guess it can be fun going through all the cards!

1 Like

Years ago I brought a job lot of Pokemon cards for £80. A lot of cards in original wotc boxes but the packs had all been opened. It was hard to tell what was in there and the condition as the photos only showed the cards inside the boxes not laid out so you couldn’t see them. But I took a punt. Anyway out of that job lot I got a unlimited base charizard that graded a PSA 10, a base set 2 charizard that graded a 9 and a bunch of other great stuff including sealed base set binders.

4 Likes

My best finds were a lot of 1st edition and shadowless base for $1400 with a charizard, chansey, Ninetales, magneton, Ninetales, and machamp 1st edition thick stamp last week. My second best find was paying $700 for a lot that had 3 base set packs that were all heavy, a bunch of ex-nm 1st edition jungle and fossil holos, base set, and pack fresh Japanese including a dark charizard. Oh and a base set 2 2 player starter set and 2 1995 Japanese Pokémon playing card decks still in box.

7 Likes

I bought a charizard braixen secret rare from cosmic eclipse from a local shop for $80 and it graded a black label. Sold for 5k!

6 Likes

In April, I spent 1k on a lot that had full Base, Jungle and Fossil holo sets all pack fresh and 8 cards were graded 9 (charizard, venusaur, mewtwo, blastoise, machamp, 1st ed pidgeot, 1st vileplume, 1st vaporeon) the rest were raw in card savers mint. Bought from some older woman cleaning out her house that definitely sold her child’s stuff. The other 20 something items she was selling were dolls and tea sets etc.

2 Likes

Raw showdowless charizard and skyridge charizard for $1500. Ended up grading a 9 and 10 respectively. This was about 5 months ago.

8 Likes

I bought a raw base set unlimited charizard off eBay in 2016 for $50. I couldn’t believe how immaculate the card was. I sent it off to grade and it came back a PSA 10. I also bought a raw shadowless venusaur for $70 back in 2017, sent to PSA and got a 10.

3 Likes

So a fair few then :joy:

1 Like

Very nice!

Shadowless Charizard, 1st ed Shining Karp and 1st ed shining Gyarados for $450. All Nm at PSA rn.

2 Likes

I bought a large binder collection for $200 from a guy on CL who got it for $50 from an estate sale. There were over 25 WOTC holos in NM+ condition a ton of base set, team rocket, neo commons and uncommons in NM+ condition. One of the coolest finds was Crystal Kingdra from Aquapolis that I had graded and got back as a CGC 7.5 and if not for a noticeable scratch on the holo I think would have been 8+.

Looking for binder collections and hidden gems is a lot of fun. Most of the time it’s not fruitful but every now and then you can find a winner.

2 Likes