Looking for Japanese Mewtwo #3 VHS Promo (English)

UPDATE - I have acquired this card but will leave the thread up for documentation for anyone else looking for it. I may still be interested in duplicates though, feel free to message me.

This is an obscure card distributed through the “kanzenban” Pokémon VHS for Mewtwo Strikes Back in Japan. It is visually identical to the English version of Mewtwo Black Star Promo #3, but can be differentiated by its color variance and print texture.

You can read about the VHS release this is from here.

You can read about the card itself here.

Given the difficulty in distinguishing this card, importing candidates from Japan turned out poorly. I had a really solid lead from a Japanese seller who had a bunch of other Japanese English promos (Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth, Jigglypuff, etc) but the card I received from them is identical to my native English release. It’s just not a card you can identify from regular listing photos. Other similar leads were not secure enough to justify the expensive risk, so I am looking for someone who might have this card already or know where to get this card to help me out.

Due to its obscurity and low interest this is not a card whose price I can really estimate. As a hunter of obscure stuff this is an issue I run in to a lot. There are no recent sales to go by. Many people have never heard of it. It has almost no demand. It’s very poorly documented (KEI’s thread is some of the only English reference material for the release, which is a blessing). I would be willing to have a conversation with anyone who has one of these cards for sale. This is the last card I need for my collection of vintage English promos and instead of being a fun chase it’s proving to be a fruitless and frustrating experience. :slightly_frowning_face:

My current offer for this card is $300, but if you have this card and would be willing to talk to me about it please DM me with details regardless of price. I would also be interested in a sealed copy of the VHS tape if you have one of those, otherwise packaging is not required.

Let me know if you can help me. Thank you so much!

4 Likes

Adding a couple photos from a sale from January I was able to identify where it went for a mere $5. Unfortunately I’ve been unable to contact that buyer.

Please let me know if you have any leads or information that might help me.

3 Likes

Any update on the hunt? This is also the last card I need for my Japanese (English Language) Promos Set!

Even just the VHS id like to get ahold of, any idea what search terms I could use to find just the VHS?

1 Like

ミュウツーの逆襲 完全版

Or

ミュウツー VHS

These are how I found mine if I remember correctly.

My full listing title was:

【レア VHS】ミュウツーの逆襲 完全版 ポスター 未開封 ポケモンカード 付き 劇場版 ポケットモンスター

I haven’t seen one listed for a while though. I’m always checking quite frequently. If I see one moving forward I’ll DM you the link. I’m about to do a big Buyee session this month so will be on it quite a lot and will keep my eyes peeled. Playing around with different chunks of that full title in the search is a good bet.

Going to request a lock and have this thread redirect to this one: https://www.elitefourum.com/t/mewtwo-strikes-back-us-version-kanzenban-associated-mewtwo-3-promo-variant

@jeffryyyy I sent you a DM!

2 Likes