Which 1999 Japanese promo card is this?

From bulbapedia, in the 1999 Japanese unnumbered promotional cards section:

Not sure which actual card this is? I’m getting a few different black Star cards coming up on eBay and in searches. Cheers!

I’m putting this answer at a 8 out of 10 on the confidence scale but is it not this one?

5 Likes

I am a bit confused, actually. The card that @pfm cited was released in 1997 and Bulbapedia is suggesting a 1999 Japanese release?

Or perhaps they are suggesting that the English release is 1999 and do not mention the Japanese release?

This timeline is helpful: Timeline - Pokumon

What’s throwing me is that it says Mewtwo [English].

Does that mean it’s this one?

Like, for the English pikachu CD promo card, it also says it’s English: Pikachu [English].

2 Likes

I believe that [English] is referring to English-language printed cards that were released in Japan.

For example, the Pikachu [English] is referring to the CoroCoro glossy release (i.e., an English-language card printed on Japanese glossy stock).

2 Likes

So for the CD promo pikachu, I do know the answer there. It’s basically the shadowless english but printed on Japanese cardstock that is slightly different

Helpful threads

I’m wondering if the Mewtwo is similar (English on Japanese cardstock)

3 Likes

That’s true!

Maybe I’ll jump on Japanese marketplace and do some searches for English mewtwo VHS promo and see what comes up.

Cheers!

I would assume it’s what @benjolmes posted.

Could be this, but wouldn’t expect this to be recognised as an actual release:

4 Likes

It’s indeed this one Bulbapedia is mentioning.
As for your remark about it not being an actual release, Bulbapedia is a wiki everyone can edit. Someone probably saw the post by KEI (or nine on the new forum I guess) and added it to Bulbapedia. :person_shrugging: I’d also argue it is an actual release, though.

I’m wondering if the Mewtwo is similar (English on Japanese cardstock)

In the thread of KEI/nine it is indeed mentioned this is the case. The English WB Mewtwo from the VHS should have a similar card stock as the Shadowless Base Set Pikachu from the CD.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Just fixed this for them, it was their username on the old site (ie. instead of screenname). And yeah that mewtwo referenced by KEI is almost certainly the one Bulbapedia is talking about. I’m glad I put a confidence measure on my first post here because i ended up being wrong :sweat_smile: Always happy to be learning new things! The niche depths of this hobby seem to just go down forever

1 Like

@pfm This instance is a perfect example of what I despise about Bulbapedia’s organization structure.

In an article about miscellaneous unnumbered Japanese promos, there is an embedded link to an article titled “Wizards Promo 3” - an explicitly numbered English release. However the featured image is actually Wizards Promo 14. In the Release Information, no less than six different cards are summarized, only three of which are featured in the Gallery section. The actual card @benjolmes is looking for is the Japanese English version distributed in the Kanzenban VHS, which is reduced to a single sentence in the article and is not pictured. Without context, it is impossible for someone to learn anything about the card they went there looking for. They can’t even tell what artwork it has.

Livindavido knows about it because I told him about it because I read KEI’s thread two years ago, which is the only sufficient English documentation on this card across the entire internet. This thread is answerable because of this forum.

@benjolmes If you go looking for this card, do yourself a favor and look for ones still sealed in the plastic. It uses the same folded-over package with a single strip of tape that you see for other Japanese promos like GB Dragonite and English CD Pikachu. I can post a photo of mine tonight if you need it. It is nearly impossible to identify otherwise, especially with the low-quality photos you see on Japanese auction sites.

6 Likes

This is huge. Thank you everyone.

I had a suspicion I would need to find the actual VHS!

And stagecoach, I’d really appreciate a picture of what you have. There are pictures in the original thread I can go on, but anything additional would really help. Cheers!

1 Like

I’m in the office today but will gladly post some photos in a few hours when I’m home. I keep a sealed one I will post for you to see. @livindavido may also have some good advice on what search terms he used to find his recently. Both of mine took me a very long time to track down, but he found one really fast.

I actually found this one but it’s way out of my price range. Did you guys find it for less?

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m58867245772

2 Likes

I’ve actually never bought the tape before, only the sealed version of the card. The tape is actually extremely rare itself, let alone the card inside. I am positive the tape is not worth $1,000 but I never see it for sale otherwise. Long story short, I just put in with Buyee to purchase this listing.

I am going to open it and document everything inside and produce a proper resource article here for this distribution. KEI’s article was an excellent introduction but the low resolution images definitely limit its benefit. This price tag is extortionate but I can’t keep complaining the documentation on this card is so poor while doing nothing to improve it. I’m in an extraordinarily rare position where I can actually do something like this and I’d like to take the opportunity to do so. I will probably never be in this position so I shall seize this moment.

Once I am done with the article, I will sell you the promo inside. We will work out something you can afford.

@HumanForScale I’m also willing to donate the tape and its other contents to Pokumon so you can co-produce some content, if you like. I believe the only English article that discusses the tape right now is this one. Funnily enough, it doesn’t even mention the card.

P.S to Readers: This tape cost me a fortune so if you find it for $10 next week or if you just bought yours for $50 last month don’t even tell me about it. As far as I’m concerned this is the last tape in the world, okay? Looking at you, @livindavido, especially with your good luck.

9 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing!! I agree that it’s something that could truly benefit from being documented thoroughly, and you’d be doing the community a huge service. Nothing like giving back like that, if you can afford it.

And yeah I’d be stoked to work something out with you, though if you have a change of heart I won’t mind, seeing as you spent a lot of cash… but yes absolutely will take you up on that!

A fellow man of science I see

1 Like

Wow, good guy stagecoach!!

As for the card, i can agree that bulbapedia can be formatted in a terrible way that makes it near impossible to even understand the information. Ive been having a lot of difficulty with it putting together my exclusive unnumbered promo list, not to mention theres also just incorrect information in some places. I believe the card is the one PFM mentioned; it was released in both English and Japanese for the release of the movie i think… I’ll keep my eye out for stagecoach’s article cause now im invested!

Side note: i hate to say it, but old mewtwo has some serious penis fingers going on. I cant unsee it.

1 Like

Here is the card you are looking for specifically, and what it looks like intact in its packaging.

This is in the Kanzenban VHS. It is a lighter and more washed out color of purple compared to the standard English release. It is nearly impossible to tell in an isolated photo because of all the variation the camera and light can introduce, but it is obvious when you put both cards side by side.

6 Likes

Wow yeah the contrast is drastically different when side by side.

1 Like