Let's talk about Base Set 2...

So it seems like booster boxes at least for WOTC era are approx 2x the value of the most expensive card in the set in PSA 10…now I don’t have all the data, but from a big point of view it sort of seems to follow that same pattern. 1st edition psa 10 Dark charizard is around $600/$700 and the 1st ed team rocket box is about $1400. Base Set 1st edition has 20K charizard, and the box is 50K. Base set charizard psa 10 is about $1500+ and the booster box is about $2,500 - $3000. Reverse Holo PSA 10 charizard lengendary is approx $2500 and the box approx $5000.

Now I’m really only looking at data with sets with a big hitting charizard in them. As for Base Set 2, I only see two charizard gems listed as sold on eBay…one sold for $1200 on Sept 8th and another (this is BGS 10) was $5600. I remember another PSA 10 selling around maybe July for approx $800. Seeing as the $1200 figure probably only has risen in the past month, my question is how is it possible that the booster boxes are only $800-$900?? I know that base set 2 was a looked down upon set, so maybe that is what is holding it down, but the cards have value and a market, and especially the charizard being $1000+ and the blastoise and venusaur I know can get at least $200 each in PSA 10 (I’ve sold a couple), I’m just a little stunned at the price. In my opinion this should be a $1500 - $2000 box at minimum. Anyone’s thoughts why this is so? I know it is a reprint set, but so was legendary and see where that spiked to…

I can change that quickly if you send me a link :wink:

Seriously though the boxes have jumped about $200 since August.

They’ll get there.

What would you pay for these boxes assuming you know for a fact they don’t contain the Charizard? The other boxes you listed have things going for it other than the Zard. That’s why I think the Base Set 2 is an outlier. Not to mention there are 20 holos in BS2 so there’s actually a pretty good chance you won’t pull a Zard, let alone a 10.

1 Like

I think you probably hit the nail on the head now that I think about it the 20 Holos is probably the difference maker. Granted, that is only 4 more Holos than the 16 in Base Set. , a 25% increase…yet it is an approx 70% decrease in box value. It seems like too much a divergence for that much of a lower Charizard pull rate. I’d argue that Base Set Two introduced the awesome galaxy Holo as well, and while it does not seem to compete with the Reverse Holo “difference” in legendary collection, it nonetheless does separate itself a bit. Just was some food for thought as I tried to find undervalued older sets. Thanks!

2 Likes

should note that its actually 15 holos for base set, as the Machamps were only obtainable via 2 player starter decks

Base set 2 is due for a rise, very under valued, i’ve been saying this for a while now :grin:

I have been buying a lot of base set 2 lately, booster boxes, packs, un graded, and graded cards.
I noticed that trend you speak of, in terms to the top psa 10 card being worth half the boxes value for WOTC sets.
I noticed that wasn’t true for bs2, so I started buying to get a collection for myself before a price jump and to save some away. Not only that but I really like the galaxy pattern on them.

One thing I have noticed, I opened about 25 packs and the holos in the set are lucky to come out 9’s. Especially if you are docked for print lines. I notice all kind’s of 8’s and 8.5’s that are claimed to be sent in pack fresh put on ebay going for almost nothing. Even the 9’s are virtually at give away prices.
I have bought 4 psa10 holos for less than 60 each in the last week all from base set 2.

And what is even more interesting to me, is that the pop’s on a lot of cards are fairly low. I don’t know if people just don’t submit base set 2 because of the low value of most holo’s, or if there isn’t much out there in good condition. But I think if someone wanted to build a set, now is the time.

1 Like

I know it is kind of strange how a set with a Charizard in it the box seems to follow that pattern but not for Base Set 2. I’d guess the box will rise signicantly in the next year. Blaines Charizard 1st edition is a $700 card and the box is $1400. Shining Charizard around $800 and the Neo Destiny booster box around $2400 (albeit that box has a chance at even more Shining so that’s why it’s triple the price probably). Definitely underpriced and overlooked Base Set 2 Set.

Base Set 2 holos are notoriously tough graders. That’s why you can put a premium on PSA 10 Charizard’s.

2 Likes

Agreed, due to the general low quality of pack fresh BS2, the box is not going to work out in your “equation”, where the assumption is cards come out majority of the time at PSA 9 quality. That’s also why you see PSA 9 prices being way lower than PSA 10 prices for holos/reverse holos.