Leonhart with a unicorn of a collection buy

I just can’t watch his content because of that… makes me feel super uncomfortable

2 Likes

i’m more curious who this japanese collector is more than the stuff they received lol.

2 Likes

That was me. The translator is my interpreter at my events. I worked at Rare Candy from January 2021 through December 2022. The reason the acquisition took so long is because Japan’s borders were closed. As soon as I could get a business visa, I went over. I also negotiated the arrangements and price with the seller.

I hope all the cards go to good homes.

39 Likes

thanks for the insight!

1 Like

What were the sealed boxes that have never come to market?

That’s probably referencing the ADV/PCG boxes. There was nothing sealed in the collection that has quite literally never come to market.

6 Likes

And no cards never seen before either? Great collection but these were 2 bullet points that stuck out.

Most of the larger Pokemon products they have sold/ will continue to sell came from one large collection purchase.

I don’t know how much I can say in public but based on some things I know about how this company has operated, I refuse to participate in their auctions out of principle.

14 Likes

Maybe it’s referencing the cards as a set never being seen before. For example the set of 6 snap cards might be one of the only sets seen together like that. There’s also not a lot of complete Japanese sets from ex/dp/hgss floating around and it seems like the collector in question has a lot of that as well. Obviously a bit exaggerated on Leonhart’s with the wording choices but that’s show biz baby.

1 Like

Actually yes on those. The collection had a set of all the unreleased cards from the 2011 Worlds qualifier events. The events were canceled due to the Tokohu earthquakes. I spoke with some Japanese collectors on them, and apparently a Druddigon has popped up once before, a few Emolga, maybe one Pokemon Catcher, but never the basic energy.

12 Likes

Yeah… Let’s just say there are ethical reasons I decided not to work there anymore. There are some fantastic people working there, but I was not happy with how I or the business were being treated.

16 Likes

Now that I do find really really good. I know what it’s like I’ve had a similar experience in the past. X

Yes same for me, I even commented that I normally am hard on him for his videos but this was a phenomenal video. I’ve must of watched it 3 or 4 times. The craziest is part is we still don’t know alot of about collections and collectors outside of North America. Also, after reaching out to some big money collectors on Instagram a few months back. Theres a lot of collectors that have amazing gems that don’t even know the full value of their collections because especially in Japan they value things way differently. I am hoping with more videos like this and private collectors finally showing off their collections and selling stuff we might be able to see the pikachu snap card and some more rare cards that we just don’t know about or haven’t seen in nearly 30 years.

This is a rediculous collection. Makes me feel so small when I see something like this. Looking forward to seeingf the grades. Leonhart can be a tough listen, but it helps the hobby so all in all a good thing,

2 Likes

What’s wrong with the way rare candy operates? I’m out of the loop as I haven’t been following their news, and didn’t know they even existed until a couple months ago. Don’t see anything about them being shady in my search either.

Just from a user interaction standpoint, their auction site has no transparency to start with. After an auction ends, there is no way to see what the final sale price was, or see any auction history. It’s like all the auctions just disappear from the site unless I’m missing something? The interface is clunky as all heck too (dare I say, even worse than PWCC?).

1 Like

Pretty cool video and amazing collection

Leonhart does his best Dhar Mann impression on the narration which I dislike.

Definitely trying to get this to appeal to a wider audience, but I’m not sure how much an average viewer with little pokemon knowledge cares about this.

1 Like

oh yeah the site is complete garbage lol you can’t even search the items…

I’m wondering if this is more of a lack of care/effort/quality rather than any malicious intent.

Its definitely the former. I’d go even further and say its lack of understanding.

1 Like

I’m talking about something other than UI/UX but I don’t think it’s something I want to make non-vague public statements about since it doesn’t really involve me directly