Leonhart & Gary's new Beckett Grading Video

Havn’t seen this posted yet… but I loved the video. Gary, you were great in the video and I hope to see more of you out there. Very interesting info. I’m sure you were wishing slightly different results, but overall was a great watch for everyone and it shed some light in the topic of grading. Some people just don’t know how strict it can be, and seeing this will get the entry level knowledge even higher.

12 Likes

It was fun seeing two different generations of collectors here. Enjoyed watching this and seeing the love of the hobby come through.

2 Likes

Yeah you could undoubtedly feel the love of the hobby! Usually don’t watch many of Leonhart’s openings but these videos are epic.

2 Likes

This was great. I enjoyed watching them go to BGS and hand the cards over in person. Very cool twist.

One day someone will grade a black label 1st ed zard…

One day…

Or maybe not?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words but honestly, Lee’s not that much older than me​:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::eyes:

14 Likes

This was very exciting to watch, thanks for sharing. I was surprised to see how strict Beckett actually are so it gave me a great insight. To be honest, I was thinking it would have been more successful for you, nevertheless you tried and still own all those amazing cards.

1 Like

Gary’s “YouTube Thumbnail Surprise Face” game is on point.

Great video, thanks for sharing :blush:

1 Like

And just like that, there goes any chance of ever getting a first edition base Charizard black label :disappointed: I’m glad to see you took your cream of the crop and tried cross them over for black labels Gary, I was hoping you would ever since back in introduced them.

2 Likes

I am saving this for tomorrow and grabbing some popcorn! Thanks for the post and well done @garyis2000,

1 Like

This video was epic - My heart was pounding during the video.

Thanks for sharing a moment like this in the hobby with us, Gary. Regardless of the outcome, I am sure tons of us enjoyed and also learned more about the BGS grading standard from this experience.

I’m so glad to see others learned from this as well as me. Makes it worth it;)

Cool Video.

That was a great video and experience. Also, I feel like a lot of people will learn more about the Beckett process by watching it. Well done guys!

1 Like

Very cool. Thank you for sharing the process with us @garyis2000 :blush:

1 Like

That was a lot of fun, but better luck next time Gary! I would love to see you try this with some other cards! Bet you have some Venusaur you could try to cross too! :wink:

1 Like

Loved the video, Gary!

We were all rooting for that black label, but it was an incredible fun video regardless!

An insight into the BGS-grading process, and so cool to see such a different video on Leon’s channel. Same goes with the other video with Scott, you and Leon as well. Hope he continues with these kinds of videos once in a while!

Great work guys!

Conspiracy time! Could they have been more harsh on @garyis2000 cards to serve as an example to recent criticism for “just giving away” the black label? Gary, after looking at the cards after the fact do you fully agree with the marked slips and rejection?

they’re definitely going to scrutinize a 1st edition base charizard more than a rattata lol. And it’s fair to wonder if they’re harsher on crossovers compared to raw as well

Some of those marks were seriously severe. Lee and I were both looking closely and several marks were indistinguishable with our eyes. On two, the centering was marked off but at most it was barely:(

Yeah thats what got me thinking… like for marks and stuff sure, but it really looked like some of those off center finds were quite harsh. Do we know the process for this? Is it all up to the naked eyes of the grader? I just have this thought in my head that for the big time cards like this, they have it under microscopes measuring the boarders down to the nano-meter lol.