Leonharts Recent Video Chansey & Charizard

I was bored and just put myself through a cringe reaction video but his Shadowless Charizard so scratched parts of the card is missing and you can see straight silver, plus a full corner bend/crease gets a surface 8?? Where as a Pack fresh chansey with no visible stains/marks gets a 9.

What kind of training or guidelines are these companies/graders working to lol

The Chansey presumably has scratches he missed. Vast majority of base cards do not get 10 surface even straight out of the pack.

The Charizard surface 8 was absurd and reflects poorly on BGS.

11 Likes

a lot of these Pokemon card opening channels seem to overlook damage or overestimate the condition of the card. It takes more than 30 seconds to really review some cards. This is while your filming. When your filming your usually Looking through another camera and Leonhart is probably focusing on the “production”, acting, over exaggeration, etc.

It’s still a BGS 9.5 so it’s worth $20k right?

4 Likes

For him, yes lol. He’s a big name and people will happily pay a premium to buy from him. For the average seller I doubt it.

Keep in mind many of these channels make their money through these box/pack breaks. They have a financial incentive to have buyers believe that the only way to get that PSA 10/super high quality card is to open it straight out of a pack that they buy from the youtuber. Nobody wants to pay hundreds of dollars for a random pack and then even if they do hit the holo have that holo be a PSA 8. It’s all part of the hype that keeps these things going and profitable.

4 Likes

How Beckett dares to call that Charizard near mint is really baffling to me… It would probably get a PSA 3 or 4 at best

1 Like

Gemmintpokemon has a 9.5 listed on ebay with a 10 surface subgrade for 17k. So, I highly doubt it.

1 Like

He’s talking about Charizard not Chansey man. I don’t even think a PSA 10 Chansey reaches $20k.

Leonhart is talking about the Chansey being $20k. A member here payed around $10k for Chansey. I have a hard time believing Chansey would double.

Other than Leonhart signing a card and making it more valuable **shudders**, I don’t get how it would be more valuable. Secondly, if he really was about his squad then wouldn’t selling a card for double it’s value (double a PSA 10 not even BGS 9.5) be against his personality? That person will not be able to sell it down the line except for a huge loss. The way he’s been over exaggerating his cards value to his audience goes against the type of person he portrays himself to be.

3 Likes

I dont believe hes purposely overvaluing them. I believe hes just referencing the highest offers that similar products have sold for. While conflating a BGS 9.5 with a PSA 10 is usually not the best translation, I do not think hes purposely skewing the perspective of his viewers. Hes aware that high subgrades in 9.5s can translate to potential 10s and hes likely getting ridiculous offers simply because of his status. Hes a pretty genuine guy it seems, so its likely unintentional at best, ya know?

1 Like

I don’t think he’s being malicious or purposely hurtful. I think with such a big audience and having such a strong connection with them that wrong information can have negative impact. If people are willing to pay double for his BGS 9.5, which I would bet $250 will not get PSA 10, then what makes anyone think they wouldn’t listen to his price and see cards undervalued from what he says in his video, then go out and purchase them. They will take his word like a Pokemon authority and expert.

2 Likes

Yeah, not sure who offered him $20k but good for him if he gets that price, especially not as a psa 10. It’s a poor buy for the buyer though lol Buyer could cross to CGC and add Leonhart pedigree though which could be cool since they watched him pull it on video

1 Like

I am assuming (hoping) any 20k+ offers were with the expectation of a BGS 10 grade, seeing as a PSA 10 sold on eBay last week for $11k and one has been sitting on eBay a few weeks at $18.5k OBO.

1 Like

I think he says it in both videos. A PSA 10 is worth $20k.

No he’s not.

3 Likes

I didn’t know he sells cards. I know he sells boxes sometimes on IG, is that where the sales happen?

1 Like

didn’t a chansey sell for 15k+ recently for psa 10? also, gemmint’s chansey got a 10 on surface! i feel like his has a GREAT shot at a PSA 10. although would PSA technically charge you 2000USD to crossgrade since the value of a psa 10 would be about 15-20k?

2 Likes

Not referring to Leonhart. But again he has a vested interest in hyping up prices as they drive more interest and views. PSA 10 Chansey is not 20k but he says it is because he can and that’s a nice, round, hypey number to throw out. It’s how the youtube grind works.

“I PULLED A CARD THAT’S WORTH BETWEEN $1000 AND $20,000 DEPENDING ON HOLO SCRATCHES, CENTERING, EDGE CONDITION AND PROFESSIONAL GRADE!!!” doesn’t have the same ring as “I PULLED A $20,000 POKEMON CARD!!!”

14 Likes

when money is involved, you gotta make the marketing pitches. come on, guys.