Jonandek’s Buy Thread

bump! just looking for a few things right now as I recently made my first pokemon grail purchase which should be arriving today

1 Like

Do tell?!

1 Like

well, grail for me may be different for others. I didn’t grow up playing the game. In fact the only time I tried was kind of a fail. so trophy cards and the like aren’t as meaningful to me even though I can appreciate them for what they are. I’m a set collector through and through, and so I have managed to find my “perfect” copy of the ultimate set card

5 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

thx! the fedex is supposed to arrive before 1030 CT this morning. I’m going to be nervous until it arrives. I will post when it does. it has a thin stamp and I was trying to hold out for thick, but it has perfect centering and looks to be in perfect overall condition. Of the copies that have been available to me, it’s the nicest I’ve seen, on par with the BGS 2x9.5,2x10 copy that I turned down. It’s the first card I wanted to buy when I decided to collect in mid-January and I’ve been looking almost every day since then. Now the box is checked and I am quite happy. Can’t wait to get it in hand!!

1 Like

@jonandek - are you still looking for the Skyridge Moltres holo?

1 Like

yes pls! $1000 insta pay if you have one. then my PSA 10 skyridge holo set will be complete.

2 Likes

@jonandek - PM’d

1 Like

yay, happy day!

1 Like

Getting a (strong) PSA 10 1st edition Base Set Charizard and completing a PSA 10 Skyridge holo set in one day. Not bad.

3 Likes

Did you buy the quad 9.5? :open_mouth:

quarantine stinks but yes this makes me happy :rofl:

3 Likes

no way, I bought a PSA 10. from a fellow forum member. the best part is… 1xxx cert. I know, how could I?!? the card is beautiful. it’s going up right when I get it in hand :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

it’s actually been posted in this forum already and the pictures are probably better than what I will post. check the “Charizard vs Base set box blah blah” thread

2 Likes

Eyyyyy shout out to the 1xxx cert Zards. Here’s mine. :grin:

6 Likes

that’s a pretty card. nice!

1 Like

@jonandek, Thanks.

Curious, is it your long-term goal to complete all the WOTC-era holos in PSA 10?

1 Like

since you asked…as to long term goal, perhaps yes. But I’ve been trying to limit the graded cards in a way that I can actually appreciate them. When I had over 1000 BGS magic cards, they just sat in a bank vault, and took up so much space! Right now I keep my “choice” PSA 10 cards in rigid binders as opposed to boxes. and i can keep it all in a monster gun safe. For 1st ed base, jungle, fossil and japanese no rarity I went ahead and completed the whole set but the non-holo rares just sit in boxes. Here are my graded objectives in PSA 10. Where I don’t have a 10 currently, I have a 9 as a placeholder:

• 1st ed base (need chansey!)
  • 1st ed jungle and fossil (done)
  • Skyridge holos and crystal cards (holos done, need crystal ho-oh)
  • Shining Cards 1st ed in PSA 10 (just need tyranitar)
  • Aquapolis Crystals in PSA 10 (done)
  • Gold Star cards in PSA 10 (taking my time here, won’t complete this year. I have maybe 9-10 as 10s but I have the Ray and Zard in 10)
  • Certain key cards in 10 (I have some like Blaine’s Zard, Dark Zard. But right now T17, Neo Lugia, and a number of other cards are in 9)
  • Japanese no rarity PSA 10 set (right now the holos are all 9, and except for the zard, very strong 9s. some I am going to crack and resub)

That should keep me busy for a while. I love the graded 10s, truly do. And in a protected time capsule is the best place for those cards. But I equally love “pack fresh” 8/9 cards for my binders. I try to aim for 9s but will allow myself some 8x, 7s and 10s for expediency. Once they’re cracked they lose their grade anyways and are just cards :rofl:

For those, I have been working on “pack fresh” binder sets of:

• 1st ed base, shadowless unlimited (complete, but I couldn’t bring myself to crack the PSA 9 1st ed base holos. so I used 8s for the binder and have a whole extra set of graded 9s)
  • 1st ed jungle/fossil (complete)
  • 1st ed team rocket (complete)
  • raw holo cards from southern islands (done)
  • 1st ed neo sets (have all of the holos and have been filling in the non-holos)
  • Expedition holos only (done)
  • Aquapolis holos and reverse holos only (done, but still need to do some selective upgrading)
  • skyridge reverse holos only, including crystals (almost done)

I am slowly building the ex-sets. I don’t think they are very rare but it’s been hard to find “pack fresh” sets for sale. plan to be very patient here, low priority. I’ve bought some of the modern sets too like sword and shield, hidden fates, burning shadows

so yeah, plenty to go…

5 Likes

Man… this makes me sad that I’ll never be close to this. What a list. Congrats though man. Enjoy the Moltres !

2 Likes

chansey might be one of those cards which you just have to set a new record (substantial) increase, since the pop is half or less of other psa 10s. dare i say 10-15k for that card?

1 Like

www.ebay.ca/itm/1999-Pokemon-Base-Set-1st-Edition-Holo-Chansey-Psa-10/283858314619?hash=item421746257b:g:6aQAAOSw9dteo5pl

This guy has the chansey listed for $30k obo so I assume he’s just fielding offers for it. You can try sending him a message and seeing what he says

1 Like