Japanese Fire Deck Charizard GX Collectability

Hi guys,
A couple of months ago I pre-ordered some Japanese Charizard-GX decks, not knowing exactly what to expect. I tried to read as much about them as possible beforehand, knew they contained a Charizard-GX but was unable to find out whether it would be holo. The decks were so cheap that the risk/reward ratio made it worth it either way.
Charizard GX

Anyway, turns out the Charizard-GX is non-holo, has the same artwork as the holo, but different numbering. From a rarity standpoint, I am inclined to believe they may be more difficult to find in the future than the holo version as these sold out immediately after release, and were only printed in Japan as far as I’m aware.
I am sending one to PSA for my personal collection as I have a thing for Japanese exclusive prints, but am in doubt on whether to grade the rest. What are everyone’s thoughts on this card? Rubbish reprint or collectable potential?
As usual thanks in advance for your input.

You can look at the theme deck charizard from legendary collection. It is also non holo. Honestly I think it’s a severely underated card. Most were played and the sealed decks are super pricey. It should be worth a lot more than it is, but the market is what it is.

1 Like

Interesting comparison.
I’m not expecting this to ever go much higher than $30 for a PSA10 but its uniqueness makes me consider whether I should grade a few. I mean, if nothing else it’s an interesting card for both collectors of Japanese exclusives and Charizard completionists.

I do not get the numbering on this card smH 13/131? The regular set card in japanese is sm3H 11/51. What set do smH refer to and is there a complete 131 card smH set?

The smH refers to it being “h” along in the alphabet in terms of side products.

The number would be what number card that is in amongst the “set” that all the decks come from. So all the decks (I think there are 6 of them?) have cards that come from a 131 card lot or pseudo-set.

As for this having a higher value in the future, that’s a hard question.

It’ll be super niche if that’s the case.

An example of a rare Charizard card in Japanese would be any of the Charizards from Wild Blaze in Unlimited. Those are stupidly rare, like really stupidly rare.

2 Likes

As Oz said, the numbering is inclusive of all cards in the 6 deck collection, so the complete 131 card set would be the full collection of decks.

2 Likes